KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC03 August 2014 - Voting period has ended, Winners announced (pg 17)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't feed the troll.

Wow I'm honestly really surprised where I placed D: Kinda disappointed (mostly cuz I wont be walking away with a zebra2 synth). Surprised Davias placed below me too. But congrats to the winners! Next time I suppose.

chaosbringer wrote:Wow I'm honestly really surprised where I placed D: Kinda disappointed (mostly cuz I wont be walking away with a zebra2 synth). Surprised Davias placed below me too. But congrats to the winners! Next time I suppose.
You expected to be placed higher or lower in the rankings?
Music... life would be boring without it.

Marando wrote:
chaosbringer wrote:Wow I'm honestly really surprised where I placed D: Kinda disappointed (mostly cuz I wont be walking away with a zebra2 synth). Surprised Davias placed below me too. But congrats to the winners! Next time I suppose.
Higher, honestly. Maybe not top 3, but at least top 5. But I guess I didn't really do as much work as some people.

Would love some feedback from people on my mix.

chaosbringer wrote:But I guess I didn't really do as much work as some people.
Makes me wonder why I scored that low then. I put several hours into the vocals alone.

Guess this is the main difference between "selection by the client" and "selection due to popular vote".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Makes me wonder why I scored that low then. I put several hours into the vocals alone.

Guess this is the main difference between "selection by the client" and "selection due to popular vote".
That's funny, cuz the two points you got came from me.

In fact, the only person I voted for that scored higher than me was blind.

I didn't vote. I really didn't like ANY of the entries at all. Everyone's treble is way up there in volume and not enough bass. Is everyone mixing on Beats or a giant subwoofer?

Maybe times change, because a lot of circa 2000 trance tunes sound great on my monitors. (that stuff no one buys or listens to anymore :lol:)

camsr wrote:I didn't vote. I really didn't like ANY of the entries at all. Everyone's treble is way up there in volume and not enough bass. Is everyone mixing on Beats or a giant subwoofer?

Maybe times change, because a lot of circa 2000 trance tunes sound great on my monitors. (that stuff no one buys or listens to anymore :lol:)
You might need to change your speakers then cuz if you saw my EQ curve on the low end you'd be shocked haha

Ditto, my quick-fix settings actually rolled off a lot below 60Hz again. And what was "muffled" and "lofi" to some, was actually sounding great on my measured in speakers. :shrug:

Well, things might change with MC04 and ongoing...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

chaosbringer wrote:
camsr wrote:I didn't vote. I really didn't like ANY of the entries at all. Everyone's treble is way up there in volume and not enough bass. Is everyone mixing on Beats or a giant subwoofer?

You might need to change your speakers then cuz if you saw my EQ curve on the low end you'd be shocked haha
Even if it is off balance it doesn't matter. Bass is one of the easier things to fix in mastering, although results vary depending on how it's mixed with everything else. Too much bass is usually not a problem. Too little bass isn't really a problem, or phasy bass, but usually doesn't sound the same. How you hear your mix also has an influence on how you shape it's dynamic, which is more difficult to correct.

chaosbringer wrote:
Marando wrote:
Higher, honestly. Maybe not top 3, but at least top 5. But I guess I didn't really do as much work as some people.

Would love some feedback from people on my mix.
Your mix didn't sound that balanced, the snare was way to loud and some other elements could have been mixed a bit louder. Also, when listening to the EQ decisions that have been made, it made me believe your monitoring situation and/or room acoustics are not ideal, a feeling I had with almost all submitted mixes to be honest.

Compyfox wrote:

I don't think a client would have picked your song, it was simply not the best mix. Saying 20 times that your track can easily be fixed by a ME sounds a bit strange to me. If a mix needs serious fixing during mastering, isn't that an indication that the mix is not optimal? Just saying.

Marando wrote: If a mix needs serious fixing during mastering, isn't that an indication that the mix is not optimal? Just saying.
Ahhh there it is!!! The pretention that a recording is only as good as OPTIMAL.

Marando wrote:
Your mix didn't sound that balanced, the snare was way to loud and some other elements could have been mixed a bit louder. Also, when listening to the EQ decisions that have been made, it made me believe your monitoring situation and/or room acoustics are not ideal, a feeling I had with almost all submitted mixes to be honest.
That was intentional. I love aggressive & loud snares. But I come from hardcore electronic dance music so yeah, makes sense that most people wouldnt. As far as acoustics, I have none. I have about $5000 worth of gear (half of it being a virus ti2) in a bedroom in an apartment. But I don't really feel thats an issue. Probably more along the lines of I'm not used to the genre.

camsr wrote:
Marando wrote: If a mix needs serious fixing during mastering, isn't that an indication that the mix is not optimal? Just saying.
Ahhh there it is!!! The pretention that a recording is only as good as OPTIMAL.
Say what? All I'm saying is that I don't think a mix is good when it needs serious fixing during mastering. Me using the word optimal is probably me trying to sound polite. That's me, I'm not normally someone who says things like "you suck" or "get the f**k out of here loser" or "most mixes sounded like ass with serious gas issues". I like to stay polite. :o :hihi:

Disclaimer: the bad words are just a fictive example

Return to “Production Techniques”