broken piano K4/sfz (now with fake round robin script for Kontakt)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Zombie Queen on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nice! thanks for sharing :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Will check it out. Though if you want to be really evil, fake round robins via randomized neighbor borrowing. Then you get a bad piano where the worst notes don't always show up on the same keys and you can't avoid them.

DSmolken wrote:Though if you want to be really evil, fake round robins via randomized neighbor borrowing.
I don't really want to be evil, but maybe I'll try to script such a fake round robin. It may sound interesting.

It's weirdly inspirational! Thanks!

Lots of fun. Love how you can turn tuning on and off. Thank you.

BTW Cool blog!

Thank you.

Following fake round robin idea, I wrote this simple script.

Code: Select all

{      fake round robin     }
{      by SzcZ (c) 2014     }

on init

set_script_title("fake round robin")

declare $count
	declare $last_random := -1

{note range - lowest and highest note numbers}
	declare const $LOW_note := 0
	declare const $HIGH_note := 127
	declare const $KEY_RANGE := $HIGH_note - $LOW_note

declare ui_knob $fake_robin_range (0,$KEY_RANGE,1)
	set_text($fake_robin_range,"Range")

declare $rnd
	declare $rnd_min
	declare $rnd_max := 1000000	

make_persistent ($fake_robin_range)

end on

{fake round robin}
on note
	message("note: " & $EVENT_NOTE)
	if($fake_robin_range #0 and $EVENT_NOTE >= $LOW_note and $EVENT_NOTE <= $HIGH_note)
		$rnd_min := $EVENT_NOTE - $fake_robin_range /2
		$rnd_max := $EVENT_NOTE + $fake_robin_range /2 + $fake_robin_range mod 2
		if($rnd_max > $HIGH_note)
			$count := $rnd_max - $HIGH_note
			$rnd_max := $rnd_max - $count
			$rnd_min := $rnd_min - $count
		end if
		if($rnd_min < $LOW_note)
			$count := $LOW_note - $rnd_min
			$rnd_max := $rnd_max + $count
			$rnd_min := $rnd_min + $count
		end if
		$rnd := random($rnd_min,$rnd_max)
		if($rnd = $last_random)
			$rnd := $rnd +1
			if($rnd > $rnd_max)
				$rnd := $rnd_min
			end if
		end if
		$last_random := $rnd
		$count := $EVENT_NOTE - $rnd
		change_note($EVENT_ID,$rnd)
		change_tune($EVENT_ID,$count *100000,1)
	end if
end on
It can be useful to revitalize some old libraries, or just to experiment a bit. Note range for instrument needs to be entered manually (HIGH_note and LOW_note).
I will this functionality to terrible piano tonight.

It does not seem impertinent to me Bigcat... Hey, it's some wild west saloon music, the piano sounds surprisingly good in this context, un-tuned one works better IMO. Only missing some gun shots.

Meanwhile, I added fake 'random round robin' functionality suggested by DSmolken. It plays random different note and tunes it to match the incoming note. It can make some crazy variations, when set to higher range. For the instrument, I modified script posted above, using custom 'random' number generator. It resets generator seed on transport start, so if you get it into a project, it will always render the same result.
Uploading the whole thing seem to take forever today, so I guess I'll update blog post sometime later. If you'd like to try it now, here's the update for current files:
http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/docs/terrible_update.zip
Just replace the resource file and the extra knob will appear.

Wow. You can really set that to a high range and go crazy. And if somebody adapts that script to drum kit samples...

How would you like to adapt it? You can paste the above script on a drum set alright, it will simply randomize the incoming sounds. Just delete 'change_tune...' line, unless you want the drums pitch changed too.

Finally a piano from a cockroaches perspective, thank you very much :)

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Well, cockroach factor had to come into the sampled pianos picture, sooner or later...

The instrument is now updated with 'fake round robin' mechanism.

I will think about possible developments of fake robin script, that could be used anywhere. One idea is to use it to create stereo effect (play additional note using random sample, position both notes in stereo field), I tested this on some old library and it sounds quite interesting. For drum kits, I could make an option to randomly shuffle keyboard (randomly re-assign samples to keys). If there are any more ideas, shoot.

It's a hell of a fun piano, played with it some more this morning. Thanks.

I don't have any grand plans for fake round robin scripts on drums, I was just thinking the effect would really be insane on drums, and get more and more insane as you turn it up.

But I really like the idea of using it to make extra stereo voices. Also...

Fantastic! I think when the Komplete update arrives I'll just skip installing all the piano samples in favor of this. :D

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”