are computer speakers good enough for good sound?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you all think about using PC speakers for music production? I'm looking at the logite h z313 for $40. Do any of you have experience recording music through these speakers or comparable ones? I plan to play and record with soft synths and samples as well as playing and recording an acoustic and electric guitar. Do you think these speakers would work?

I recently heard the jbl ls305 and they blew me away by their clear sound and bass on a song that was played as a demo. I may end up getting those someday, but for now I'm looking to see if the Logitech's would be good enough.

Use studio monitors. Or headphones.

What's recommended is a good audio interface and studio monitors and headphones.

I use Sennheiser 280 hd pro and Bx5a.

If you want a cheap route at first I recommend Generic DJ headphones for 12 bucks that are DJ. They are cheap but they are actually quite flat like you want in the sound so to speak.

Find them at amazon.com
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

I'm trying to get something cost effective. I have an echo audio fire 4 interface. I'm wondering if some Logitech speakers would be good enough for a small bedroom studio? I may end up getting a pair of studio headphones, but would like some good speakers too.

You can use the PC speakers :) however you will need to be aware that your mixes will not transfer well to other systems.

If this is a problem for you then I would advise you invest in some monitors.

It's your opinion. I personally hate loud music, so small sound is great.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

For the sound quality I like, headphones is the cheapest option I hate PC speakers they lack range they are just too small and made for gaming and surround at the cost of sound quality. You can get by with them while you save for something better It's not going to cause injury to anyone using them.

If I was you I would use what you have while you save for something like AKG headphones the open type. For the same sound quality as AKG headphones the cost of a speaker and amp setup is much larger.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: They can still be useful, but between the harmonic distortion and generally crappy bandlimiting its not ideal. Throw in a pair of decent headphones (not any of the fad expensive headphones) though and you can acomplish a lot. Still look out for low frequencies on your final mix, and pay attention to your EQ, and always play your music on other speakers and headphones. Most people I know do the "car test" where they burn it to a CD or put it on an iPod and play it in a car to see how it sounds because thats how most people will hear it.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

Thanks for the advice everyone. I live in someone else's house and I don't want to bother my landlord with having studio monitors in case I have to turn them up too loud to hear a good sound. Though the landlord is ok with me playing my acoustic guitar and maybe making music in general.

Do you guys know if monitors sound good at a low sound?

No.

but you can use them for composing, in the meantime save and when you get studio monitors mix the songs you already completed.

IMHO you will be just wasting time if you try to mix on computer speakers.
dedication to flying

I think it depends on the speakers themselves. There are some pretty good computer speakers out there, and there is the usual crap for 15 bucks a pair.

I personally use these 2.0 desktop speakers:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t8qYn08UL.jpg

And studio headphones from Audio-Technica. Sure the speakers are not professional (frequency response from 50 to 20k), I can't use a subwoofer because of my neighbors downstairs. But they sound good and are not too loud. And for more precise listening I use the headphones.

I guess it also depends on what your aspirations are. If you want to become a pro, you will not get around better equipment sooner or later.

i use m-audio av40's.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/S ... eAV40.html

not much bass to speak of, but then i prefer that in a cheaper speaker (and without any room treatment). i like them :shrug: , though would never recommend them for any critical work. i pair these with krk 8400's and a vrm box

Those look reasonable as well, I like those compact old-skool 2.0 speakers without subwoofer :) Roland also sell some, but they are probably better for making music than those computer speakers.

The good thing about cheaper speakers is that you hear your music the way most people will hear it :hihi:
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ptguitarist wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I live in someone else's house and I don't want to bother my landlord with having studio monitors in case I have to turn them up too loud to hear a good sound. Though the landlord is ok with me playing my acoustic guitar and maybe making music in general.

Do you guys know if monitors sound good at a low sound?
Definitely look into headphones first, preferably open back. You'll lose some bass but you'll gain air. It's basically like monitors on your head.

Good studio monitors should sound just as well at low volume in any case, they're made for clarity.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

'Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II' are good, i use them with a pair of open back sennheisers (hd465) for mixing. I use the headphones for hearing detail and frequencies below 50hz, which is rare because most programmed bass & kick sounds have frequency detail above 50hz. I also use the headphones for tracking electric guitar and programming drums with a korg nanopad2, i think it helps to keep in time.

A disadvantage is the way you have to connect the GigaWorks speakers to an audio interface

How about some cheap studio monitors that are small. Heres a link.

http://www.thefind.com/query.php?query= ... sc&local=0
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”