Key scaling \ Key following \Key tracking simple info request

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys
I'm in the process of checking terms and options about synths and I need to clarify this one:

in theory, the option of Key following (otherwise named as Key scaling and Key tracking too)
can be applied to any kind of envelope / adsr ?
(if that option is available in the architecture of a synth obviously)

I mean, key tracking can be applied both to a filter envelope, or an amplitude envelope or a pitch envelope ?
Am I right ?
Thanks in advance.
Greets
Last edited by Diego_C on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edit

as you play higher keys, it will make the oscillators pitch gradually move in a direction opposite of it.......or when you play high keys it will make the filter envelope gradually close its cutoff frequency....or when you play high high keys it will make the amp envelope become gradually quieter.

these would all be negative key tracking behaviour. positive key tracking is the opposite, the higher you play the higher the pitch of osciallator, or the more the filter envelope oopens up.
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

It's just a modulation source. So it depends on the synth design what actually can be changed by note-number.

Some synths have a modulation matrix where can you link it to anything you want: ENV-speed, ENV-amount, filter cutoff, LFO speed, and so on.

Ok now I got it clearly.
Thank you very much Inversoundz and Chris-S.
In a course online was mentioned but only quickly about Amplitude envelope so I thought it was possible to keytrack other Envs or parameters too, and yes, it is.
Thanks once again. Much helpful. :)

Return to “Sound Design”