How to process breakbeat drums?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm now getting into progressive breaks style (like A-Maze, Digital Department, Neo, Abstraction Unit and stuff), but, coming from 4-on-the-floor trance beats, i have hard time getting my drumlines right. If you listen to modern breaks you'll hear loud, punchy and coherent drums. While "loud" and "punchy" is relatively easy using something like Vengeance samples, getting them "coherent" puzzles me. I tried parallel compression, but with these samplepacks it tends to get distorted or obnoxious (I guess, due to massive pretreatment of the samples, or may be I just suck at parallel compression). Any other techniques to try? Any insight, may be tutorials, free or paid, will be much appreciated.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

A wee bit of room reverb on the drum buss should provide a some cohesiveness to your kit. Then perhaps a little compression after that.

Lots of EQ. And what c_bomb above said also.

c_bomb wrote:A wee bit of room reverb on the drum buss should provide a some cohesiveness to your kit. Then perhaps a little compression after that.
Thanks, will try this. Would you route the kick to this reverbed bus as well?

Maybe, reverb should be hipassed to avoid mud in the lows?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yes highpass on the reverb. You could put the kick into the reverb also.

Also try a bit of saturation or bit-crushing.
Sometimes I add room reverb and then apply slight saturation/bit-crushing and a bit of compression to combined dry/wet signal.
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

Return to “Production Techniques”