Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

LawrenceF wrote:
agit wrote:thanks did not know that
You're welcome. Now for some off topic stuff...

Take Reaper for example. It does a ton of things that S1 cannot do... which shouldn't eliminate the developer saying ... "Hmmm... that's a nice little bit, I'll add that in, might take a hour at most."

Honestly, for someone with the actual source code how long would it actually take to do that? It puzzles me. If I were an audio workstation developer I'd have a running list of "little easy things" like that organized by inverse level of apparent difficulty and I'd copying them into my app left and right... weekly. :)

They'd be calling me "Jack The Ripper". :hihi:

Unfortunately, it seems that many developers kinda live in their own little bubble, some not really even looking at others work or ideas except when it's something really big or flashy that can't be ignored.
Thing is its really not that easy with a large code base to add anything in an hour. Bug fixes go quicker because the code is already in place and unless it was a major cockup it can be alot quicker to fix since its usually just some re-arranging of code or fixing a few lines here or there once you track down the actual problem.

Completely new features require underlying code changes, gui changes, testing, regression testing, all sorts of things that usually span many dev and testing groups within a single company, its rarely one single dev doing everything. Whole new features even tiny ones, can still be a large amount of work. Thats also without knowing how their code is actually structured, something that may have been easy to add in one daw may be a pain in the other.

Then you also have to run it through management. They may have an entire list of new features that they require have higher priority than what some dev thinks is important based on the higher level view of where they want the product to go. If they let the devs run off and start adding every little thing they want willy nilly then they will never get done the actual new features they had planned that may differentiate themselves from competitors. They may also have contractual deadlines if they are bringing in some third party support like soundcloud, melodyne, nimbit, whatever, where they are required to have certain functionality in by a certain release date. Those would definitely have to take precedence over some side project a single dev wants to do

Thing is its really not that easy with a large code base to add anything in an hour.
Sure it is, depending on what the thing being talked about is. "Small stuff?" That thing is doing nothing more that recognizing a drop target, creating a new track, putting the dropped source on the new track and creating a send to it ... most of those being things that Reaper can probably already do via it's API.

I'm confident Justin could make that work in Reaper in an hour or less. It's not anything complex by any stretch, it's just creating a new track with an effect on it and creating the routing to it. The hardest bit might be creating a new zone over the send slots area for recognizing the drop being for a send and not an insert, which seems to currently be one big zone that loads all dropped effects as inserts. Might take a few days to fully bug test before letting it loose but I doubt he'd have any trouble actually making it work.

"Small easy stuff". Stuff that probably won't take that long. If it doesn't actually fit into that criteria when it's considered by the developer it wouldn't be small easy stuff and it wouldn't make the weekly ripper list.

I only used Reaper as an example because it's fully unencumbered by what I knew for sure would come up, "Management Approval" and all that.

Honestly, if I were managing a larger dev team I'd have one guy dedicated to doing nothing else but working on a fork where he tries to rip / recreate all the small handy stuff he can find in every other product, and then merge some of those things into the main fork as it becomes viable to do so. That would be his only job, maybe 3 days a week, use everything else and rip / recreate whatever he can... the small stuff.

Anyway... [/Off Topic] ...

Are we talking about an ETIFR, Easy To Implement Feature Request? :D

Isn't it documented that they lost key members of the S1 team in the last year or two?

hibidy wrote:Isn't it documented that they lost key members of the S1 team in the last year or two?
Whaaat? Where'd they go? back to Steinberg? just kidding..

Anyway's whoever said that Studio One 3 is due for release until the end of the summer, they have until Sept. 22 right?

Wouldn't bank on it.

hibidy wrote:Isn't it documented that they lost key members of the S1 team in the last year or two?
Not that I'm aware of, not plural anyway. One guy changed jobs to NI recently. The other 'jumping ship' thing from GS long ago about the other guy appears to be complete fiction.

Other than CPU optimization , what features are users wanting to see in S1 -3 ??

fedexnman wrote:Other than CPU optimization , what features are users wanting to see in S1 -3 ??
Sysex support, curved automations, better waveform display and adjustable gui color to make it darker. That kind of stuff.

One of the biggest requests is for track templates. Something like Reaper's would be really great.

Track templates, tweaks to midi like fixing the midi loop issue or maybe track folding, foldered mixer tracks or some form of customizable way to keep track of multiple audio tracks (it can quickly grow out of control), colors and names being organized w/o the messy way it is now console/tracks, pencil tool for audio editing, multi drag/drop of a particular fx to many tracks, frappachino maker, protool style ability to bypass a particular fx (all channels), better handling of multi timbral instruments. '

That's all I can think of now.

Last edited by c_bomb on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceF wrote:
Not that I'm aware of, not plural anyway. One guy changed jobs to NI recently. The other 'jumping ship' thing from GS long ago about the other guy appears to be complete fiction.
Elke went to Native Instruments? They also lost Wolfgang Kundras I think. Don't see him or Elke here-
http://www.presonussoftware.com/en_US/i ... mpany-team

Steinberg with Cubasis, Groove Agent 4, and great online interaction (GN) are killing it. So is NI, I love my maschine studio. Can't wait to see what both have for the future.

Well the good news is that sonar x4 will be along any day now.......oh........wait...........DOH!

Bitwig 2-Dot-Oh will rule the galaxy.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”