One-Synth-Challenge #67: Digits by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bjporter wrote:
SirKen wrote:Don't think anyone need it but just in case, here is a basic intro to Phase Distortion Synthesis with images.
Beautiful :tu: I might need it
I needed it myself. Never dealt with PD before.

Funny you chose a PD synth though. I have been thinking of suggesting Kassiopeia a few days ago.

bh9090 wrote:Never done phase distortion.....all I'm making are accordion patches?!?. Might take me a while to get my head around this. It rocks at accordion tho...:)
I managed to create a ok-ish kick patch myself but have no clue how I am going to pull off a snare :lol:

oh you could make for sure more than accordeon patches. With Digits you can create
very organic and spheric sounds full of deepness...as good basses and leads too....
And it´s not true....the last version can load both, fxp AND fxb....they must be
in the same directory "extent of the jam", which installed itself at installation....
Last edited by Schiffbauer on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjporter wrote:Cubase 6 sucks - Steinberg removed the ability to make FXP/FXB so had to use a .vstpreset -> FXP converter
I have just upgraded to cubase 7.5, and it will not save fxp/b's either. :x

Don't know what converter you used but FXTractor works for both fxp and fxb - I searched my drive for vst3presets - found in VST3 folder in My Documents, some are bank presets and some individual, but you can only tell by the file size.
The program automatically decides which to create, and writes to the same folder. I copied the vst3presets I wanted to a new folder first just in case.
https://code.google.com/p/fxtractor

The problem with digits synth and fxb's - the cubase fxp/fxb import kind of loads the sound but not properly, while copying the file to digits patches folder makes the name appear on the list but no sound.

The Digits program actually saves its presets in the following folder:-
My documents/Extent of the Jam/Digits/Patches
...and these are in fxp format. Any patch you save from the drop down list at the bottom of the GUI gets saved to the user folder in here.

Hope this is helpful :hug:

bjporter wrote:
... and interview of the Dev:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4kZZGqsgg

OT: So pleased to see one of my early electronic music heroes on the video... I mean Chris Huelsbeck, the man behind Turrican:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_H%C3%BClsbeck

Nice synth ... well, what its emulating anyways. Yet to download it.

My years with my Casio CZ1000 Phase Distortion keyboard should help me get some decent sounds eh???

PD was Casio's answer to Yamaha's FM. To me it's more powerful - FM tends to lead to fairly predictable soundsets, PD less so!

Now, what style should I do this time ... hmmm ... let me think ...

Rob

Free presets for Digits synth:
http://bji.yukihotaru.com/vst.html

doctorbob wrote:FM tends to lead to fairly predictable soundsets, PD less so!
:hihi: Then all the more reason to do a Challenge with PD

Someone know if this synth has mono-glide mode with hidden settings or something?, like in VOPM, with Midi CC controls...

J.Ruegg wrote:Someone know if this synth has mono-glide mode with hidden settings or something?, like in VOPM, with Midi CC controls...
closest I could come with it is to simple add a little attack, but interested in this as well.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

bjporter wrote:
doctorbob wrote:FM tends to lead to fairly predictable soundsets, PD less so!
:hihi: Then all the more reason to do a Challenge with PD
Yup, I agree ... should be interesting to hear the results! Got my thinking cap on ... not sure what genre to go for this time ... been working on some Blues for a while ... ya know, "I woke up this mornin'" , da-dah-dah-daaaah, .... etc .... cue Hammond-like organ sounds ...

dB

I'm looking to try my hand at this months contest but i am a little lost on what effects i can use. I was looking to use light distortion, compression, cut off/resonance filters, parametric EQ and side chained compression. maybe reverb and delay but i dont know just yet with how things are coming along. before i have to go back to the drawing board can there be a little clarification on the effects ruling?

ParticleRay wrote:I'm looking to try my hand at this months contest but i am a little lost on what effects i can use. I was looking to use light distortion, compression, cut off/resonance filters, parametric EQ and side chained compression. maybe reverb and delay but i dont know just yet with how things are coming along. before i have to go back to the drawing board can there be a little clarification on the effects ruling?
The effects you mention should all be ok i think.
the rules are all 3rd party effects must be free and freely available, DAW effects are allowed. use of any modulation fx is not allowed, or anything which makes the sound 'unrecognisable' as from the synth.

ParticleRay wrote:I'm looking to try my hand at this months contest but i am a little lost on what effects i can use. I was looking to use light distortion, compression, cut off/resonance filters, parametric EQ and side chained compression. maybe reverb and delay but i dont know just yet with how things are coming along. before i have to go back to the drawing board can there be a little clarification on the effects ruling?
Sounds good! :tu: Agreed though with you that more clarity needs to be had

RichardSemper wrote:
The effects you mention should all be ok i think.
the rules are all 3rd party effects must be free and freely available, DAW effects are allowed. use of any modulation fx is not allowed, or anything which makes the sound 'unrecognisable' as from the synth.
Agreed

Return to “Instruments”