Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

R U SERIOUS? :dog:
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

agit wrote:umm can anybody help me out with the IO in S1 v2 ?
Not sure if this helps, but you can use buses in Studio One - as many as you like - and route audio from one track (or more) via the track's send - pre or post fader to as many buses as you need.

Studio One's buses also have sends, unlike their FX return channels, which is helpful if for example you want to send to a delay FX bus and then send that to a reverb bus. Just insert the delay on a bus and the reverb on an FX channel (or another bus), then send from the audio track to the delay bus and on from there to the reverb.

This is just one example.

The bus channels in Studio One allow for a lot of routing possibilities. They're similar to Logic's 'Aux' tracks in this regard.

The bus channels in Studio One allow for a lot of routing possibilities
Yes, it fills the bill for most typical studio routing up until you start trying to do really exotic stuff. The current downside in the routing scheme is no mono aux channels, which isn't so much an issue for rendering as it is for general routing. For example... you can't route a mono audio track to another audio track because the bus paths are all stereo and they don't accept mono assignments.

Sooooo.... it's not S1 3?

Andywanders wrote:
agit wrote:umm can anybody help me out with the IO in S1 v2 ?
Not sure if this helps, but you can use buses in Studio One - as many as you like - and route audio from one track (or more) via the track's send - pre or post fader to as many buses as you need.

Studio One's buses also have sends, unlike their FX return channels, which is helpful if for example you want to send to a delay FX bus and then send that to a reverb bus. Just insert the delay on a bus and the reverb on an FX channel (or another bus), then send from the audio track to the delay bus and on from there to the reverb.

This is just one example.

The bus channels in Studio One allow for a lot of routing possibilities. They're similar to Logic's 'Aux' tracks in this regard.

thanks, i figured it out with the fx tracks which is why i stopped posting here - your solution while closer to what i am trying to achieve seems a bit more convoluted but i will have to try it out,

i usually use bus tracks for mixing and mastering only, still there are some limitations when it comes to splitting the signals with sending to fx tracks but there are workarounds

the workflow imho is not as quick and easy as in ableton live but since everything else is better i'll deal with it :)

From Youtube "SECURITY BREACH!":

>PreSonus Audio Electronics

>THE DAY HAS ARRIVED! Introducing the PreSonus StudioLive RM32AI and RM16AI Digital Mixers!

Not Studio One V3...

Kenit wrote:From Youtube "SECURITY BREACH!":

>PreSonus Audio Electronics

>THE DAY HAS ARRIVED! Introducing the PreSonus StudioLive RM32AI and RM16AI Digital Mixers!

Not Studio One V3...
Yipeee... :roll: I didn't think it was going to be an S1 V3 to be honest.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Successful troll. Literally dozens of people who can't afford it/don't need it are excited :hihi:

agit wrote:thanks, i figured it out with the fx tracks which is why i stopped posting here - your solution while closer to what i am trying to achieve seems a bit more convoluted but i will have to try it out,

i usually use bus tracks for mixing and mastering only, still there are some limitations when it comes to splitting the signals with sending to fx tracks but there are workarounds

the workflow imho is not as quick and easy as in ableton live but since everything else is better i'll deal with it :)
The only real advantage to using FX Busses instead of Group Busses in Studio One is a UI advantage. You can drop effects on the send panels and FX Busses are created automatically for you, which is a really nice workflow bit.

But like you noted above, FX Busses don't have sends so if you actually do want sends on your FX return busses you'll have to manually create a Group Bus to use as a FX return bus and route to it, not let S1 create a FX Bus for you automatically.

There's an FR on the table for that actually, a preference option for that, to make Group Busses do just like FX Busses when you drop an effect on a channel... to optionally have that create a Group Bus return, not a FX Bus return.

So when are we going to see a release for S3?? :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Who knows. It's gonna be a while though.

hibidy wrote:Who knows. It's gonna be a while though.
Yeah, it's a pity but I can wait. :)

Robmobius wrote:So when are we going to see a release for S3?? :(
Nobody knows and their beta team is notoriously tight lipped, nothing ever leaks.

My personal guess - with the rather large caveat that it is indeed a guess, nothing more - is that we'll see "something new" by Winter Namm at the latest, late January. I don't think after all this time they'll let another Winter Namm pass without some new (larger) Studio One features, even if it's v 2.8 or something.

If I were betting on that in Vegas, that would be the line I'd bet on... "No later than Winter Namm '15" ... while of course being pleased if something new shows up long before then. One thing for sure, when the "new flashy" stuff shows up all is usually forgiven. See Logic. :hihi:

Whatever happens whenever it happens someone will always take issue with it anyway though, it will never be enough for everyone. :)

LawrenceF wrote:
agit wrote:thanks, i figured it out with the fx tracks which is why i stopped posting here - your solution while closer to what i am trying to achieve seems a bit more convoluted but i will have to try it out,

The only real advantage to using FX Busses instead of Group Busses in Studio One is a UI advantage. You can drop effects on the send panels and FX Busses are created automatically for you, which is a really nice workflow bit.

But like you noted above, FX Busses don't have sends so if you actually do want sends on your FX return busses you'll have to manually create a Group Bus to use as a FX return bus and route to it, not let S1 create a FX Bus for you automatically.

There's an FR on the table for that actually, a preference option for that, to make Group Busses do just like FX Busses when you drop an effect on a channel... to optionally have that create a Group Bus return, not a FX Bus return.

thanks did not know that

agit wrote:thanks did not know that
You're welcome. Now for some off topic stuff...

The "daw wars" are what they are ... :shrug: ... usually pretty silly, but occasionally having tiny bits of clearly logical validity. As relates to that particular bit ... dropping an effect on a send panel and having the effect automatically load + create the return for you ... it really puzzles me personally why audio workstation developers would ignore stuff like that when they see other developers do it. It seems like such a really simple and useful thing to do.

Where it all goes to Disneyland is when you bring it up (anywhere) someone always takes it as daw war stuff and starts the "but we can do this and that and the other thing" nonsense when in reality it just makes perfect sense to always do that when it's viable, to copy every good "little" thing you see, the easy stuff.

Take Reaper for example. It does a ton of things that S1 cannot do... which shouldn't eliminate the developer saying ... "Hmmm... that's a nice little bit, I'll add that in, might take a hour at most."

Honestly, for someone with the actual source code how long would it actually take to do that? It puzzles me. If I were an audio workstation developer I'd have a running list of "little easy things" like that organized by inverse level of apparent difficulty and I'd copying them into my app left and right... weekly. :)

They'd be calling me "Jack The Ripper". :hihi:

Unfortunately, it seems that many developers kinda live in their own little bubble, some not really even looking at others work or ideas except when it's something really big or flashy that can't be ignored.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”