Cabbage = csound export as VST

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Re multi touch

The idea is to create a custom interface that would route midi messages to other plugins within the vst host or the host itself.

Current solutions are fiddled and don't sit within the vst host
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Shouldn't be a problem. I've only ever checked to see if MIDI notes can be sent from one plugin to another. I've never checked it for CC messages and the likes but looking at the code just now it seems that this should work too. Let me know if you need any help. If you wish you can sign up to the Cabbage forum at www.thecabbagefouncation.org

rorywalsh wrote:Shouldn't be a problem. I've only ever checked to see if MIDI notes can be sent from one plugin to another. I've never checked it for CC messages and the likes but looking at the code just now it seems that this should work too. Let me know if you need any help. If you wish you can sign up to the Cabbage forum at http://www.thecabbagefouncation.org
link typo, should be

http://www.thecabbagefoundation.org
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Excellent, Cabbage is so much less hassle than csound4live in terms of installation headaches and non working intruments
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Hello Rory,
i was very curious about this thread and cabbage and so I tried out for myself....not to only make
soundbanks in the future....
So I installed Cabbage and after that I restarted my system (PC PIV, 3,2 Ghz, WinXP Pro (32-bit), 2GB Ram and with VST-Host)...I wanted to try the included examples to see how it works and sounds....
First I´ve got the error-messages of a missing .dll (python27.dll) and (liblo-7.dll)...but it works anyway..

I exported both to VST-Host in the same directory (.dll and the csd-file)...
All examples (exported Vsti´s) did working (exclude the "Inharmonic Additive Synth)....
in my opinion, they have a very special sound, which I like...sound - otherwise - beside other,
specially the "ChoirSynth" is very good....
As I´ve seen you wanted to make a new version 5.12, I deinstalled Cabbage from my HD, to make a new
installation with the next version....but now, all the installed plugs won´t load anymore...
Does it means, Cabbage must be on the same HD, as the installed Vst´s and the host...so the plugs can´t
used with another PC further...but they are exported as Vst, aren´t they...is that right or is there a misunderstood or a bug?
When there will be a new installer for 5.12? Btw, Cabbage seems to be a very good developing-tool for making new vst´s...my compliment.....
best regards
Armin aka kujashi

I would simply reinstall and continue to use the version that was working Ok for you. I'm having some issues with packaging the latest binaries due to an compatibility problem between Live and pthreads for Windows. I hope to sort it out soon. Some things to note:

- The dll's and the associated .csd files should ALWAYS be in the same directory.
- The dll's can be stored anywhere on the machine(alongside the .csd file), but when you uninstall Cabbage you remove the path to csound64.dll and libsndfile-1.dll which is needed by the plugins. (when a plugin loads it calls csound64, which in turn call lisndfile-1)
- If you wish to distribute plugins(as standalone) you will need to bundle csound64.dll, libsndfile-1.dll, your plugin .dll and your .csd file. If they are all in the same folder then anyone can run.

So in summary, your exported plugins will continue to work if you reinstall Cabbage(thus recreating the path), or if you place csound64.dll and libsndfile-1.dll into the same dir as the plugins.

Thank you - that´s a very helpful and detailed response...so i will reinstall and put the "csound64.dll and libsndfile-1.dll" in the same folder as the vst.dll and csd-files in the vst-host directory. That will work
as I see....so thanks for now and first I will try out....:-)

Yes, but if you do a reinstall you won't need to copy those libs. If you play on uninstalling again, just copy those libs before you do in order to keep the plugins functional. Good to hear it's working Ok.

mmh - unfortunately it doesn´t work as you described....
I have those two files csound64 and lisndfile-1 in the same folder as the dll and csd and the plugs won´t load....
that´s too bad, cos i had a PC with internet-connections with VST-host to try out something and a music PC in my little studioroom with no internetconnection....it means, I can´t use them to try out without cabbage full installation...that´s not the thing I want...
so is there another possibility?

My apologies. That behaviour is new to the current version. In your case you will need to grab all the dll's in the Cabbage32 folder and place them into the plugins directory, with the plugins and .csd's. It's not pretty, but it should work. Expect a more streamlined approach in the future. Btw, why not just install Cabbage on the computers you need to run the plugins on? It's pretty light weight?

Yeah - you are right.....thank you....I reinstalled Cabbage and now it works again...
For sure...in the next update you should fix it...if someone in far future will create and
distrubute VSTi/Vst with it - the end-user would not have cabbage on his HD....
So I play around and try further the examples...btw. the Effects are very cpu-intensive
(but only for my setup, which is a little bit ancient) with 40-50%..... but they are very
good examples and there is a wide potential with Cabbage... :clap:

Schiffbauer wrote:btw. the Effects are very cpu-intensive
(but only for my setup, which is a little bit ancient) with 40-50%.....
I suspect that's not going to be something that can be significantly changed; the nature of CSound is that it was designed to be a portable tool to generate entire compositions, offline. The fact that it can be made to work in realtime and integrate as smoothly as this with VST hosts is a significant thing, but it has to be acknowledged that the underlying architecture comes from almost the opposite direction to what's needed for optimised realtime processing.

I think this is rather an old world view of Csound:) Nowadays it's highly optimised for real time performance and could easily challenge any audio toolkit in terms of performance.

Anyhow, I've not noticed any issues with effects(synths are always more CPU intensive), but you can expect that some of the phase vocoder streaming effects will cause some systems to choke a little. Closing the plugin window and using the native controls will also reduce the CPU load. Things like buffer sizes, fft windows sizes, kontrol rates etc will also have effects on performance.

Rory; Ive just discovered that my system Path settings have been completely trashed, with the -only- things remaining being the path to cabbage and a python scripts directory in appdata. This is Win7x64

This the first time Ive logged out since I tried various versions of cabbage around a week ago, but I hadnt noticed till now. I unistalled and reinstalled different versions a couple of times, so given what the Path has been set to Im kind of suspicious that one of the installers has had a hand in what's happened....

Thanks for reporting this. I'm working on a new installer, and I've almost sorted out the whole threading thing. I'll let you know. Work is crazy at the moment so I might need some time :) Do you know which version wiped your path? So I can warn people?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”