i5 vs i7 for a new build

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

since many here convinced me to go with an intel cpu for my next build vs an AMD chip, a second question. What performance difference would I expect using an i5 vs an i7 chip both clocking over 3ghz ? Would save a little over $100 . . .

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Very good article UltraJv. Thanks for posting :tu:

Could have saved me some time deciding on the i7 if i had read this first.....actually, the first 3 paragraphs were enough to convince me I made the right choice. :D

@MisterNatural - recent price drops on the i7 are worth considering. If you think of the current prices for the i7 vs what the i5 was then it is worth it IMO.

But it's your wallet and only you know that or not. I can tell you the i5 will serve you well if you don't need what the i7 offers. I built with the i5 about 4 years ago and it has been good. Just went with an i7 in a new build, mainly because now it's about the same price as the i5 was then. :D

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Yeah, that article pretty much sums it up w/o a bunch of wasted words. I know you are trying to save coin, but I got over 4 years out of the first gen i7 (a record for me) and I'm now approching just the 1st year with my 4770. I think it's hard, very hard to go wrong with an i7 and I think that on average people can just get on with the business at hand with an i7 and not really have to worry about performance. Just my 2c.

I think saving around $100 is very little when you consider how long you are likely to have your computer for. I had an i7 for around four years before the motherboard died and it was still blazing fast up to it's last minute. Nothing ever overloaded it. I had to get a new one obviously and got an i7 again.

My general rule for cpus is to just buy the fastest you can afford. With computers, you always have to be looking ahead.

respect - you guys are right ^

just have to suck it up and spring for a bad-ass upgrade of Mobo, cpu and memory
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Again, I hope that whatever you get rocks.

Haswell Refresh i7 4790k, Asus Z97k, and 16 gigs of Corsair memory costs $642. Add an SSD, and I got from BIOS to login in 7 seconds flat.

Eventually, you'll run out of CPU power. The more you spend, the further away it is. Eventually, you'll have to buy again. The slower you go, the soon you buy again. It's the Circle Of Life. They sing about it in some Disney movie. I hate it when Disney is right. At any rate, I seem to need to update every 4 years instead of every year at least these days. Keep that in mind when you're thinking about the total cost and how long you'll keep it.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

i think it really depends on which i5 and which i7 you're talking about (even within the same generation). There are i5s that aren't very far behind certain i7s and will save you a good bit of gold (usually among dual cores I've seen), and of course there are i7s that make any i5 its bitch (quads and more).

i7 is hard to beat on long-term value in a desktop.
Meh.

Well the standard desktop i5 is missing horsepower vs the similar i7 simply because of the architecture. If you are comparing the laptop ones in the mix, then it does get dicey I suppose.

I understand the arguments for an i7, but does a person like me really need that much processing power? I never record more than one track at a time, and use only minimum processing; maybe a little eq, reverb or compression, and this is usually added after the track is recorded. I do use sample libraries, but I'm assuming that has more to do with memory than processing power. I'm going to do a new build and I sure could use the extra $100 bucks I'd save by purchasing an i5 over an i7. I'm on a very, very tight budget. What do you experts think? Thank you for your comments.

Saving coin is always a good thing. I think the argument goes back up a few posts where it's cost/vs longterm use so I'll not repeat myself. Inherently, there is nothing wrong with going i5.

If you work with Sonar X it would be an extra argumentation to go for the i7 as it supports hyperthreading.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

i7.
I would always try to get the actual CPU/motherboard/RAM/power supply etc for a new build(it must not be the high-end stuff where you pay $900 for a CPU) but it should be in the actual range for a top CPU. So we speak about at least a 4770 (I would go for 4790k if it comes to the best ratio for performance/price).
I expect this will be your system for the next 3, 4 years or more. Often you don't need the power today but things can change in 1 or 2 years ;)

rcat wrote:I understand the arguments for an i7, but does a person like me really need that much processing power? I never record more than one track at a time, and use only minimum processing; maybe a little eq, reverb or compression, and this is usually added after the track is recorded. I do use sample libraries, but I'm assuming that has more to do with memory than processing power. I'm going to do a new build and I sure could use the extra $100 bucks I'd save by purchasing an i5 over an i7. I'm on a very, very tight budget. What do you experts think? Thank you for your comments.
You honestly don't need a super powerful processor considering your use. A core i5-4670k will be more than enough for the years to come.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”