Aaaaargggh I can't get this damned Korg Nanokey to make any sounds grrrrr

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks I'm Glen and am new on here and sorry for ranting on my first visit but the reason that I am on here is that I'm looking for some help because I bought a little Korg Nanokey second hand on eBay and it turned up while I was away on holiday and on my return (this evening) I opened it and plugged it into my PC which operates on Windows 7 and a window popped up telling me that it was installing drivers, OK so I waited just a few minutes and then it informed me that it had installed the correct drivers and that it was working, except I've got no sound at all and yes before you ask the volume on my PC is turned up and all the lights on the Nanokey are lit up and it looks like it's operational except there's no damned sound whatsoever. :help: I've also been on the Korg website and downloaded the latest drivers and then gone to the start menu and clicked on the "Configure Korg USB Mini Driver" icon but at that stage it gets too technical for an omelette head like me :? even so there is only an option of just two or three buttons to click and once I've had a go at clicking all the options still there's NO DAMNED SOUND Aaaaaarrrrgggh. :dog: I've also gone to "Devices and Printers" in the control panel and then looked to see if there is anything there and there is a window for the dive and when I click on it another small window pops up in "Properties" -> "Device Status" "THIS DEVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY" except there's still no bloody sound out of this useless piece of **** (sorry I don't mean to let off steam but no matter what I try nothing seems to work. :x I've also tried plugging the USB cable into a different port but still it tells me that it is working even though I've still got no sound whatsoever :(

please help :pray:

Glen :help:

is that the one where the legacy collection is installed on it? if so then you need the software to go with it or something?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I've been onto the Korg site again and once again I've been to "Set up_E" and tried downloading the correct "Software" and it took me through the download process but once again after telling me how successful it was there is still no bloody sound other than my fingers furiously SLAMMING MY FINGERS UP AND DOWN ON THOSE DAMNED BLACK AND WHITE KEYS......Aaaaargggh :bang:

Glen :help:

yeah but shouldn't the software ie korg legacy also be visible on your screen ie 'opened up' while playing? You might also scroll through the menu on the keyboard untill you can select the bank or what not. Best bet is to youtube it.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote: Best bet is to youtube it.
best bet is to bounce it off the wall and straight into the bin :tu: I gotta go to sleep now but will try tomorrow evening before deciding which wall to use if I still can't get it to work :dog:

Glen :?

I think the basic point is that the Korg Nanokey does not make any sound on it's own - it's just a MIDI controller.

You need a host + synth running on your PC, which the Nanokey is used to play (send MIDI notes to). If you get a free license for the Korg Legacy collection, that's a good place to start.

Try downloading Reaper, and installing that to use with the Legacy Collection.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I think the basic point is that the Korg Nanokey does not make any sound on it's own - it's just a MIDI controller.
:dog: yeah, that might be it :lol:

TTU Youtube

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Before you throw it against the wall I'd be willing to take it off your hands for a good price if you decide not to keep it, just sayin...

TTU Youtube

no problem "mystickvibes" ten pounds and its yours mate :) I'm off to work right now and won't be back till late but if you want it then assuming that I can't get it to work when I get back then you can have it if you like mate :)

Glen :)

mysticvibes wrote:
:dog: yeah, that might be it :lol:
It surely is :)

Glenfiddich wrote:no problem "mystickvibes" ten pounds and its yours mate :) I'm off to work right now and won't be back till late but if you want it then assuming that I can't get it to work when I get back then you can have it if you like mate :)
Read what's been said above. Its not going to 'work' if by that you expect it to make sounds on its own; its not got any sound-making capabilities. It needs to be controlling some bit of software that's generating the sound before you'll hear anything.

In most cases, that software is a combination of two things. There's the host, which is the bit that talks to your keyboard and the soundcard, and controls everythng (in many cases including audio recording and sequencing). Secondly, there's plugins, which are the actual sound generators/processors that run inside a host.

You'll need at least one of each; a host and a plugin.
A very simple host is SaviHost, which you can get here : http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
A very popular free synth plugin is Synth1 which you can get here: http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/ (dont worry about the japanese, scroll down to where it says Download and click the link for "Synth1 Ver 1.13 beta3 32bit/64bit)"

To get it working

1) download Synth1V113beta3.zip and unzip everything into a folder.
2) download SAVIHost, and open the zip file. Copy savihost.exe into the Synth1 folder
Synth1 VST.exe
3) run Synth1 VST.exe. When it prompts for a .dll, open Synth1 VST.dll
4) test you can hear the synth playing via the onscreen keyboard at the bottom of the program
5) use the Devices>MIDI menu item and set Input Port 1 to 'Nanokey' or whatever is appropriate.

You should now be able to play the synth via your Nanokey
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thank you whyterabbyt, you know you might know all about keyboards and synths etc but some of us are just starting out :? :wink:

Glen :wink:

Glenfiddich wrote:thank you whyterabbyt, you know you might know all about keyboards and synths etc but some of us are just starting out
yes, that's why i gave you a potted explanation and step by step instructions.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yeah, don't give up so easily, try what whyterabbyt; said or even simpler host would be Orion. http://www.synapse-audio.com/ , get the demo and start playing on the midi very easily. If you need help I'd be glad to help. I'd feel guilty taking the keyboard of your hands when your just starting out, go with it and start creating..

TTU Youtube

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”