Filter for synth

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello KVR,

I'm working on my first software synth and want to add filter to it. I found a lot of implementations 1-pole, 1-pole ladder, biquad etc. but still not sure which one is better choice to use. Every filter has its drawbacks:

I like the power of biquad but it requires a lot of computations for coefficients (what makes modulation very expensive) and it's stability is very poor (a least in direct form 1).

1-pole have no resonance and slope is not that good.

1-pole ladder sounds not so good to me (maybe I'm failed somewhere with implementation).

So I would ask for your advice. What is best filter choice for synth and how do you deal with its drawbacks? I know this is a very broad question but I think a lot of people have a similar question.

If this topic was already discussed here please point me to discussion.

Regards,
Nikita.

PS. I'm new one here and if this question is incorrect please excuse me.

Well, you're in the right sub-forum, welcome! Just search "TPT" and "ZDF", there are many examples and excellent discussions on the topic. Your question isn't very descriptive though -> so I assume you want a simple linear 12dB filter that is light on CPU; a linear TPT State Variable filter sounds like the thing you're after. There is plenty of examples here - just search.

welcome to the forum vokbuz. This is definitely the right subforum for discussing filter implementaions. Filters are discussed a lot here so look back at old threads and I'm sure you'll find good info.
Either I misunderstand you or or you have misunderstood the concept of ladder filters. 1-pole ladder does not make sense, a ladder is multiple one poles in series with some feedback to make resonance.

There is a nice pdf about synth filters you could read.
http://noisehack.com/research/VAFilterDesign_1.0.3.pdf

There you'll have the basics and then some...quite some :)
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Ichad.c wrote:Well, you're in the right sub-forum, welcome! Just search "TPT" and "ZDF", there are many examples and excellent discussions on the topic. Your question isn't very descriptive though -> so I assume you want a simple linear 12dB filter that is light on CPU; a linear TPT State Variable filter sounds like the thing you're after. There is plenty of examples here - just search.
Hi, Ichad.c. To ask a good question one should know 50% of answer. My knowledge on filters is closer to 0% and I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks for pointing on TPT SVF. I will look for it.

davidguda wrote:welcome to the forum vokbuz. This is definitely the right subforum for discussing filter implementaions. Filters are discussed a lot here so look back at old threads and I'm sure you'll find good info.
Either I misunderstand you or or you have misunderstood the concept of ladder filters. 1-pole ladder does not make sense, a ladder is multiple one poles in series with some feedback to make resonance.

There is a nice pdf about synth filters you could read.
http://noisehack.com/research/VAFilterDesign_1.0.3.pdf

There you'll have the basics and then some...quite some :)
Hi davidguda,

By 1-pole ladder I meant a ladder of 1-poles.

Thanks for pointing to the great Vadim Zavalishin work. I've tried to read it already but a lot of material is hard for me to understand for now.

So based on yours and Ichad.c's comment I will try to implement TPT SVF.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”