Can we *** PLEEEASE *** get rid of "post preview"?!

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really don't understand the point, other than to remind u that there are subsequent posts to the one you're responding to. And if u can't figure that out for yourself, maybe you should stick with handwritten letters, or sumfin? Dunno. How many times have others had to submit, resubmit, ad nauseum? And how many of u thought u posted something, not noticing or realizing it just brought u back to preview, and in ur haste nav away or whatever only to lose ur post? Arggh!!! I don't see a preference to turn it off... hence the rant...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

It's good actually. If you replied to a post, and didn't refer to it with a quote, you get a reminder that there have been posts inbetween, and that you HAVE to quote, to refer to the post. Or you can refer to someone else's post too additionally. Or there has been a complete turnaround in the thread, and you can react on it! :)

kbaccki wrote:how many of u thought u posted something, not noticing or realizing it just brought u back to preview, and in ur haste nav away or whatever only to lose ur post? And if u can't figure that out for yourself, maybe you should stick with handwritten letters, or sumfin?
FTFY :D

It's really useful. Definitely wouldn't want to see it gone.

Make it optional?
Sucks Pokeballs.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

kbaccki wrote:I really don't understand the point, other than to remind u that there are subsequent posts to the one you're responding to. And if u can't figure that out for yourself, maybe you should stick with handwritten letters, or sumfin? Dunno. How many times have others had to submit, resubmit, ad nauseum? And how many of u thought u posted something, not noticing or realizing it just brought u back to preview, and in ur haste nav away or whatever only to lose ur post? Arggh!!! I don't see a preference to turn it off... hence the rant...
On one hand you suggest people stick to handwritten letters if they can't 'get' this type of tech. Then you try to shift the blame for your navigating away before actually checking that what you wrote was successfully posted. Which is it ??

To be honest, i have done that on enough occasions to have learnt my lesson, and certainly not blame the tech for my own impatience

I see more positives than negatives, and vote it stays

robojam wrote:It's really useful. Definitely wouldn't want to see it gone.
Haha, you and i get to see it more than most, i believe

Got Stylish?

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/posting.php") {
  input[name="preview"] {
    display:none !important;
  }
}

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
kbaccki wrote:I really don't understand the point, other than to remind u that there are subsequent posts to the one you're responding to. And if u can't figure that out for yourself, maybe you should stick with handwritten letters, or sumfin? Dunno. How many times have others had to submit, resubmit, ad nauseum? And how many of u thought u posted something, not noticing or realizing it just brought u back to preview, and in ur haste nav away or whatever only to lose ur post? Arggh!!! I don't see a preference to turn it off... hence the rant...
On one hand you suggest people stick to handwritten letters if they can't 'get' this type of tech. Then you try to shift the blame for your navigating away before actually checking that what you wrote was successfully posted. Which is it ??

To be honest, i have done that on enough occasions to have learnt my lesson, and certainly not blame the tech for my own impatience

I see more positives than negatives, and vote it stays
Every time I post I go back to the message, which my brain has learned, means the thing was posted. As opposed to explicitly hitting "preview" -- my intention is to preview before posting. When I hit "submit", I mean "submit", not "preview". My brain is not expecting "submit" = "preview". So yes, I always have to catch myself... And at least once this past week I "lost" a post because I wasn't paying close enough attention to the software's interpretation of my explicit intentions.

Just make it an option, that's all I ask.

EDIT: look at that... I just hit "preview" and got a preview... Now I'm going to hit "submit"

EDIT: and 3 seconds later I'm looking at the post I submitted. Does it have to be any harder than that?
You need to limit that rez, bro.

If this is what I think it is I think it's very useful.

well if I am using url tags, posting pics/vids, or doing doing multi-quotes I think the preview post is important as a 'proof read' before I post. Though being 100% is very hard I do try to avoid edits, when it says "last edited by..." because someone else got in there while I was editing my post because I forgot to add a } or a / or perhaps forgot to drop the s on a youtube vid everyone else reading the post does not know why I made the edit.

If I speak out of line I dont go edit my post, in real life once I speak my words I cant take them back and I wont be that way online. We have people here that edit their posts often changing everything once the realize they were mistaken in their posts trying to hide their errs and I dont care for that. That and selective quoting can lead to misunderstandings that get blown way out of proportion over nothing when simply leaving the posts be and saying "I was wrong" or "I was out of line" can put an end to a flame war.

I dont think this is antiquated thinking at all and do not think I should go back to handwriting letters because some people get confused (beside you guys and gals would never be able to read my handwriting :hihi: ). If I do not see the box saying my post was successful I know...well I strongly suspect it wasn't successful :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

God this is a nuisance, like the OP if I hit submit (rather than preview) I expect it to submit, several times I have also been caught out this way, submitting and thinking it has been submitting but it only showed the preview. It seems to happen randomly as well so you can't predict when it's going to do this. It's not needed. If people want to review a post before submitting then can press preview.

btw I think the thread should read 'post review' not preview, no one wants to get rid of the preview button, just this unnecessary behaviour of making submitted posts subject to review every now and then.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Its great to prevent that different members write the same answer e.g when someone ask something. A few times i break my post because somebody else was faster and post the same advice already as i wrote my message.
Last edited by valerian_777 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

How does it prevent that? You can read the thread to prevent that. If people want to review posts that is what the preview button is for (and you can still edit), the point is there you have a choice, with this review behaviour it is forced on you and because it's unexpected behaviour and happens pretty randomly it can (and obviously does) catch people out.

aMUSEd wrote:How does it prevent that? You can read the thread to prevent that. If people want to review posts that is what the preview button is for, the point is there you have a choice, with this review behaviour it is forced on you and because it's unexpected behaviour and happens pretty randomly it can catch people out.
This situation: In the minute you need to write your post there was another member already posted the advice . This function is the only way to notice it before posting. Can't see whats so difficult to understand.
To read the thread is not a solution as the post of the other member was not there in the moment that you hit reply.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “Site Stuff”