Most comprehensive, feature rich and best-sounding softsynths currently available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello fellow KVRers,

Allow me to preface by emphasizing that I am more of a preset kind of guy and know almost nothing about synth architecture and programming. Thus, the software synthesizers I list below are my assumption from many articles, videos, reviews, product pages and posts across the Internet. This is an exercise out of my own curiosity, which may lead me to further research if I become interested in learning to program synths and design sounds myself.

I'm trying to compile a list of the most feature-complete softsynths currently available that can be considered as "desert island" synths. In your opinion, which are the software plugins that provide the most complete features and best characteristics per the following criteria:

- multiple, hybrid synth methods/techniques (VA, FM, additive, etc.)
- high-quality sound engine/oscillators
- effects (eq, reverb, delay, chorus, other modulation, etc.)
- step sequencer/arpeggiator
- great presets (quality over quantity) and preset browser
- intuitive, user-friendly interface
- excellent user support and community
- continuous development of enhancements, feature requests and bug fixes
- updated, cross-platform technology (Windows/Mac OS, 32/64-bit, VST/AU/RTAS, etc.)
- any other additional features

Please feel free to elaborate as much as you want about these synths. Following is the list, in no particular order, started from my initial, casual research, which I will update as others post to this thread.

List of Most Comprehensive SoftSynths to Date
This list is in alphabetical order and being updated per posts and discussions.

- Camel Audio Alchemy
- Dmitry Sches Diversion
- FXpansion DCAM: Synth Squad
- Image Line Sytrus
- KV331 Audio SynthMaster
- LinPlug Spectral
- Native Instruments Absynth
- Native Instruments Reaktor
- Rob Papen Blue II
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere
- Steinberg Halion 5
- Synapse Audio Dune 2
- Tone2 Electra2
- Tone2 Gladiator 2
- u-he Zebra

In debate whether to include or not in list
- Amaranth Audio Cycle (mostly waveform and spectral synthesis?)
- Cakewalk Z3ta+2 (slow updates, buggy for some?)
- Image Line Harmor (no FM?)
- MOTU MachFive (cumbersome to use for synthesis?)
- Native Instruments Massive
- u-he Bazille (modular hybrid digital/analog - need more info)
- Vember Audio Surge (no additive?)

Others mentioned in posts that don't meet criteria:
- Ableton Analog (mostly VA for Live only)
- Ableton Operator (for Live only)
- Cakewalk Rapture (slow updates, buggy for some)
- Lennar Digital Sylenth1 (mostly VA, slow update)
- Madronna Labs Aalto (unique but not comprehensive synth methods)
- Madronna Labs Kaivo (mostly granular and physical modeling)
- Native Instruments Kontakt (mostly a sampler)
- u-he ACE (mostly modular VA)
- u-he Diva (mostly VA, but a great synth)
- Virsyn Tera (slow updates, limited FX)
- Xfer Serum (mostly wavetable, not yet released)

Since I'm not very sure if I know what I'm doing here, also please elaborate if you don't agree with any of the ones listed above. Perhaps I may do a poll afterwards to identify the top five/ten or so if there is interest. Thanks for your posts!
Last edited by RLSguitar on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

I'd say that list is pretty good so far. I'd add NI Reaktor and possibly even Absynth, but I guess it depends on whether you define Reaktor as "a synth", or more of a modular workbench.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:I'd say that list is pretty good so far. I'd add NI Reaktor and possibly even Absynth, but I guess it depends on whether you define Reaktor as "a synth", or more of a modular workbench.
Yes, I almost added Reaktor, but though I'm no synth expert, it seems to me more of a modular workbench (as you say) for creating synths. I will edit the list to include Reaktor.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

I'd probably add IL Harmor and NI Kontakt (even though it's a sampler) to that list.

Considering your criteria, you should include Sches Diversion. A lot of different synthesis methods, great sound and constant development including free new features.

I was pretty impressed by the quality of presets, as well, and the sales price almost tipped me over - if I hadn't just bought Bazille a week before, that is.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Great list, not complete without Diva. But i don't think Diva is what you're looking for.
My top 3 in your list is Zebra, Alchemy and Massive.

1 - Zebra : outstandind sound quality, very versatile and easier than it looks at first sight. Make a try with the free Zebralette. We were all presets users when we started. Zebra come with a lot of nice presets and the sets produced by The Unfinished are great. You can find a lot of tutorials on youtube. My favorite. I use Zebra (and Diva) on every track i made.

2 - Alchemy : great sound, very versatile, using all the techniques. Lots of nice soundsets available via Camel.
But, imho, not the easier to use when you're a beginner. Because it's using different techniques. I think it's better learning to walk before you learn to run.

3 - Massive : i know it's a relativly old product but it's still a really great one. The most user friendly, imo, modulation system is a pleasure. A looooooooot of tutorials on the web and tons of presets available.

I'm on a Mac and i've never had a crash with those synths.

Diva isn't really THAT versatile regarding synthesis types. Zebra, on the other hand, totally is.

Cant think of anything that matches ALL your bullet points.

That's why i've said it's not the kind of thing he's looking for.
And we all use many synths, Diva is still a fantastic sound, even when you only use the presets.
Lots of great bass e.g.

medienhexer wrote:Considering your criteria, you should include Sches Diversion. A lot of different synthesis methods, great sound and constant development including free new features.

I was pretty impressed by the quality of presets, as well, and the sales price almost tipped me over - if I hadn't just bought Bazille a week before, that is.
I agree.
Going through your list again, I'd say that Diversion definitely ticks all the boxes. Can't hurt to give it a whirl.
In terms of desert island, it's the one I'd seriously consider, the other being Massive.
Presets are marvelous, it's a joy to program, can't think of much that I wouldn't be able to get out of it, and sounds wonderful to boot.

Not that the others mentioned aren't worthy, they surely are, especially Zebra IMHO.

Dune2 has all of this features.

4damind wrote:Dune2 has all of this features.
Really? Wheres the additive part in dune2?

+1 for Sches' Diversion.

Kriminal wrote:
4damind wrote:Dune2 has all of this features.
Really? Wheres the additive part in dune2?
It's a hybrid synth so it fits the feature list. But it has of course not all parts (yes, it misses additive synthesis).
There is also Harmor which is a additive/subtractive synth but I cannot remember about FM, so some parts are missing too. But it's also a hybrid synth.
There are other synth like Synthmaster with most of the synthesis features but it doesn't fit IMO the "intuitive, user-friendly interface"...
Diversion... yes, very close in all parts (synthesis, user friendly interface, sound...)
Last edited by 4damind on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Analog & Operator
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Return to “Instruments”