Advice me a host

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FL Studio was the reason I started to do music and I stopped in 2009. FL is great, however its new playlist with hundreds of different clips, and its "one click = two different windows" stresses me a lot. I need do things in a simple environment without having too many distracting elements. I need to focus. So I switched to hardware.

Every host has its good points. I love Bitwig environment, Live push integration, FL Piano roll & stepsequencer. S1 seems to be the "less bad". I only miss the ability to keep the same note lenght after you draw one.

I really like Bitwig, but after reading its manual (page 20):

Code: Select all

The Arranger Timeline and Clip Launcher contain completely separate data. Editing clips on the Arranger Timeline has no effect on those stored in the Clip Launcher, and viceversa.
I dont think this is going to change soon. So I will purchase an used S1 and if Bitwig improves in this, I will switch.

hibidy wrote:Sonar and I do NOT get along.
So you keep saying, but that's not the current version is it? You've had issues with previous versions and moved to S1 - good call, great daw, can't fault you.

Sonar has had its problems, and quite a few people have justifiably decided enough was enough and given up on it, but, for a lot of us, the current version, x3, is a very different story - a great daw.

You may as well tell us that you don't like how live 7 handles warping, so best avoid live 9.

can sonar modify the automation curves (using for example a note based envelop controller) as FL can do it

so can sonar do such a things>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1YDI_nsRo

no offense, I'm just curious about it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

@post before: I don't even know where to begin with that so I'll just say I'm not going to waste the OP's time with it :)

btw I can remember why I've dropped Sonar, it uses 1:1 midi track <> vsti intrument mapping, so u can't drive more than vsti from one midi track > http://forum.cakewalk.com/1-MIDI-track- ... 60684.aspx

u can link tracks together etc. but so AFAIK there is no direct solution(I f* up almost a half day with this)... FL has Patcher, AL has Instrument racks, Bitwig has Instrument Layers, Sonar has ... :hihi:

:shrug:

I think if someone has an issue with a host, they should say it. I have a shitload of issues with them all (plug ins, not so much)

I see the turn being made, it's back into that "don't say anything that rubs me the wrong way or I'll troll you" mode. Ebbs and flows of the interwebz.........

hibidy wrote:I think if someone has an issue with a host, they should say it.
Ad nauseam, about an old version.

It's not helpful. You're the troll.

I use host, and for plugins I use plugins.
I recently started using platform on computer.

They all work well together.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

kyodeejay wrote:FL Studio was the reason I started to do music and I stopped in 2009. FL is great, however its new playlist with hundreds of different clips, and its "one click = two different windows" stresses me a lot.
FYI that is gone in FL Studio 12. All integrated into the Wrapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2d6I3QgSM

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

kyodeejay wrote:FL Studio was the reason I started to do music and I stopped in 2009. FL is great, however its new playlist with hundreds of different clips, and its "one click = two different windows" stresses me a lot. I need do things in a simple environment without having too many distracting elements. I need to focus. So I switched to hardware.

i know!!! i hate that loop workflow that fl studio is about. pattern 1, pattern 2, blah, blah, blah, oops made a mistake, copy p1 to p2 ugh! however, that said, i recently loaded up fl studio, and was really shocked to see that despite being hardcore known as a loop based sequencer, fl studio can now be used as a multitrack sequencer in its entirety. its as a simple as create a pattern in p1, put it on track 1, call it bass (it really will function as a single bass track) , then copy that p1, make unique, then simply edit pattern, and so on and so forth doing all your bass tracks on p1 bass track where as before it it a copy and paste nightmare.

fl studio automatically transfers the pattern to a new edit each time you make it unique therefore you never need, or will have multiple tracks on a single pattern. that, (in the old days would cause copy and paste hell) you can do this for every track, i repeat make new track, call it pad, put in notes, make unique. again, this is the same way a multitrack sequencer works. i don't think people realize this about fl studio i myself only discovered this two days ago thought ive owned fl studio since the day it lacked vsti i think v2.

tbh, im not sure when the workflow changed because i bought it at v2, and just ignored it after the loop based workflow left a very bad taste in my mouth. you may want to give fl another shot just saying.

AstralExistence wrote: i know!!! i hate that loop workflow that fl studio is about. pattern 1, pattern 2, blah, blah, blah, oops made a mistake, copy p1 to p2 ugh!
currently I'm using Groove Machine with automatized pattern selector for repetitive things (drums, bass etc) in FL

Image-Line wrote:
FYI that is gone in FL Studio 12. All integrated into the Wrapper.
Thank you for the information Scott. It's very good :) However, does FLS12 continue only showing "ghost notes" only between channels in the same pattern?

At the momment I'm happy with Studio One. I admit that FL Studio has better workflow (notes handling), but at the current version, 11.1.3 it doesn't fullfill my needs that I posted in the first post. I'll keep and eye on it and Bitwig.

Hey Scott can you please have FL Studio 12 automatically detect the Pitch and Modulation Wheel like every other daw please? Im tired of having to Midi CC this and that after a format. Besides this issue I think FL Studio is Great! Love the Software!

ls1xxx wrote:Hey Scott can you please have FL Studio 12 automatically detect the Pitch and Modulation Wheel like every other daw please? Im tired of having to Midi CC this and that after a format. Besides this issue I think FL Studio is Great! Love the Software!
it already auto detects pitch (for me anyway)...as for the mod wheel its like a 2 minute fix you do once and never have to bother with it again:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/qui ... udio-10778
ImageImageImage

If you are used to working in the old FL, why not just get the new FL?
It is designed for the sort of music you want to write after all..
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”