Dynamic Range Compression - Release???

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think did indeed intended the down-sampling for efficiency; but not helpful for aliasing as you've pointed out.

I will check out logistic functions and "fuzzy logic" theory. Had a quick look, think I see what you're getting at; the switching from attack to release states is too abrupt and a smoother transition is required.

Thanks again
Ger

how about this shaper?

double r = fabs(x);
if (r < 0.5) { return x*x; }
return r-0.25;
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

g_loughnan wrote:... the switching from attack to release states is too abrupt and a smoother transition is required.
Well, for something basic but actually useful, you can release before your attack. My goto for simple yet effective:

Code: Select all

buf0 = smooth_max(input , buf0- rel_coef *  buf0);
buf1 = buf1 + att_coef*( buf0-buf1);///envelope
Yeah, I know - trading a branch for another with 'max' but if you look at it branchless:

float smooth_max (float a, float b)
{
return (a+b + smooth_ABS(a-b)) *0.5f;
}
Just do your own smooth_abs - or there is an example that I posted a couple posts back...

Job done :wink:

Andrew

antto wrote:how about this shaper?

double r = fabs(x);
return r-0.25;
This seems good. It's only shaping the signal below 0.5 though, just adding a DC offset above.. could this be dodgy splitting the signal by applying linear and non-linear operations at different times?

g_loughnan wrote:
antto wrote:how about this shaper?

double r = fabs(x);
return r-0.25;
This seems good. It's only shaping the signal below 0.5 though, just adding a DC offset above.. could this be dodgy splitting the signal by applying linear and non-linear operations at different times?
No. The derivative is equal between the two functions at the discontinuity. But the bias could introduce some quantization.

Andrew, thanks for that. Is smooth_ABS() applied after compression? We need to calculate amplitude reduction due to compression using:

amp_out = thresh + (abs(x) - thresh)/ratio;

smoothing abs(x) before compression would lead to inaccurate compression (in terms of level) as far as I can gather, so we'd need to wait until after compression stage to smooth abs(x)? So, smooth_ABS(x) is used just for attack/release application?

Sorry, my bad, was thinking the upper limit of x*x was 0.9*0.9 =0.81.. staring at the computer too long today! It's a clever shaper, but the only gain is efficiency, where I'd probably go for a 1-pole filter. I haven't looked at any numerical analysis in a few years, but I sense that applying linear and non-linear operations to the signal at different stages will have some undesired consequences.
Last edited by g_loughnan on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whatever, it's the same thing.

g_loughnan wrote:Sorry, my bad, was thinking the upper limit of x*x was 0.9*0.9 =0.81.. staring at the computer too long today! It's a clever shaper, but the only gain is efficiency, where I'd probably go for a 1-pole filter. I haven't looked at any numerical analysis in a few years, but I suspect that applying linear and non-linear operations to the signal at different stages will have some undesired consequences.

I use a lot the web app on madtealab.com to evaluate waveshapers and curve functions :

http://madtealab.com/

Cool app! Can it do piecewise functions?

You can do it by using boolean functions like this for example

f1(x) = abs(x)
f2(x) = (x * x) * (f1(x) < 0.5)
f3(x) = (f1(x)-0.25) * (f1(x) >= 0.5)
f4(x) = f2(x) + f3(x)
And then, you can display only f4(x) if you want

Ok, get you. Thanks for that tip Wolfen666, handy web app!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”