Advice me a host

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I didn't do any music since 2009 and I want to start again (I sold all). I don't know how is the marketplace right now, that why I ask. The most important features are marked with a (*). I'll use it to do trance/dance/techno music. I'm using a PC.

* Multiple midi clips, in the same piano roll from multiple tracks, with different colours
* A pattern/clip can be repeated multiple times in the timeline, and if you modifiy one of them, all of them must reflect the changes.
* No dongles!
- A pattern mode like Live can be useful, with a MIDI controller.
- No too many stupid bundled plugins, I never use them, and I did my choice already, Spire, and some freeware ones.

Live + push could be a great option, but I testing the demo and it seems it doesnt support my two first requests.

Bitwig can do almost all except no 2. I dont think there is a host that can make no 2-
dedication to flying

Well, my old host, FL Studio can. And I remember other older ones like Podium and Orion. Im testing Studio One free and it seem it can too. Didn't know about Bitwig.

can u modify the duplicated(looped) automation clips too in S1 at once, Cubase/Ableton/Bitwig can't do it for sure, only FL is able to this AFAIK (which is pattern based)

for example AL : https://www.ableton.com/answers/is-it-p ... ith-live-9
Last edited by xbitz on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Studio One is capable of #2 and meets #3. Cubase is capable of #2 and (I believe) #1 but comes with a dongle. I would think that Logic is the most probable candidate for meeting all your criteria.

Cubase and Logic can do that. Just copy as alias and it referres to the first region.

Btw: Bitwig is great so far..and lots more to come. ;)

yep don't do anything before Bitwig 1.1 is released, will be a killer one

When is going to be released? I'm demoing Live, Studio One and Sonar. Live is the worst for my needs, but I like its clip view. Studio One is really well done, I'm impressed.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=419168 ... gods know it :D

ps. but IMO FL has still the most effective workflow (with Edison and Newtone and with Groove Machine if u have) for trance/dance/techno, maybe check Maschine too but don't do anything before Bitwig 1.1

rod_zero wrote:Bitwig can do almost all except no 2. I dont think there is a host that can make no 2-
If this is number 2
* A pattern/clip can be repeated multiple times in the timeline, and if you modifiy one of them, all of them must reflect the changes.

then Bitwig can do it, you loop the selected clip and make any changes in the clip, it transfer over to any looped sections.

kyodeejay wrote:When is going to be released? I'm demoing Live, Studio One and Sonar. Live is the worst for my needs, but I like its clip view. Studio One is really well done, I'm impressed.
That's the rub. What live does well it does VERY well, but it's not typical and lacks a few basic things. For my noodling and loving the pattern/scene based vibe it works well. Very pricey for suite/push, I'm glad I like it :hihi:

Hosts........very frustrating to find one that does everything.

xbitz wrote:yep don't do anything before Bitwig 1.1 is released, will be a killer one
orly?

Well I'll look into it.

julioelgenio wrote:then Bitwig can do it, you loop the selected clip and make any changes in the clip, it transfer over to any looped sections.
Not enough, it only does it when the pattern is repeated multiple times without any pause or changes. I just discovered it now, like Reaper did at version 2.

I think Bitwig dont offer enough for my needs for the price. I'm now between Sonar and S1.

Studio one isn't perfect, but it's a beast and can be had in the marketplace at a great price. Sonar and I do NOT get along.

...I'm just curious why don't u like the FL one?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”