Shattered Glass Audio releases Ace - free vintage tube guitar amp sim

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ace

Ace is a digital emulation of a legendary 1950s, American, all tube, tweed, 5W amp. The amp itself was used by many great guitar players Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Joe Perry, Johnny Marr to name a few.
We have accurately modeled the whole original amp circuit consisting of a 12AX7, dual triode, based preamp and a 6V6GT, beam tetrode, based power amp. To make the plugin more versatile we have added two of the most common hardware mods, feedback adjustment and addition of grid stopper resistors, to the model. Reducing amount of feedback increases the gain. Addition of grid stopper resistors has an effect of making the sound tighter at high(er) overdrive/distortion levels.

Download Ace at http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/... and give it a whirl.

Enjoy!

I tried this plugin with a Tele and a Les Paul. It sounds good with either. The plugin is sensitive to your picking dynamic. It cleans up nicely if you pick lightly. Cleans sound good, not much to talk about there.

I like the overdrive and distortion. You can definitely hear the difference between the Mode A (the original circuit) and the Mode B (added grid stoppers). When cranked up the original circuit mode is mellow and has a spongy feel to it. Mode with added grid stoppers stays tight when cranked up; it has a Marshall like feel.

Having played a vintage Fender Champ replica, slightly different circuit though, I have to say that this plugin sounds and feels very close to it. 8)

You can get some interesting sounds if you set Mode to A, max Input and Volume (input at 12 dB, Volume at 12), and set Feedback to zero (no feedback). It sounds like a “smooth” fuzz. :)

thanks dude!

Tried only with a Strat yet and I already like the clean sound and how it breaks up with a litte more power stage volume. i will definately use this in future. It might be pretty hard to find free non high-gain ampsims of that quality. The GUI might be a little waste of space but who cares as long as it sounds right. Thanks a lot!

Sounds and feels like the real thing -- finally, an ampsim with cleans that aren't anemic and can bark when you dig in. Class A emulation of a Class A amp that operates in Class A bias. Many thanks!
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

hi first thanks for the amp!
I know you're probably not interested in synthesizers but a small company released a small synth called ACE a few years ago.
(kidding the company is famous)

cheers.
David

Totolitoto wrote:hi first thanks for the amp!
I know you're probably not interested in synthesizers but a small company released a small synth called ACE a few years ago.
(kidding the company is famous)

cheers.
David
(I've already written to SGA about this)..
On Mac, installing the AU version of this (otherwise excellent) plugin, if you do happen to have u-he's ACE synth also installed as AU, this installer tries to overwrite the synth.. rendering both unusable. I had to re-install the ACE synth here.
I didn't have the same problem with the VST version though.
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Thank you all for downloading, trying and reviewing Ace. I am glad you like it.

@David and vic_france
I saw u-he's ACE, but I don't have it. Didn't think that there would be a name collision. Sorry. I'll see what I can do to remedy the situation.

I can't wait to test it. Glad that finally someone releases an emulation of an oldschool Fender Amp. Tbh: I totally dislike the high gain-metal destruction-distortion-whatever sound of most amp simulations.

Great ampsim ! Will try this on my next blues song.
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

SGA wrote:Thank you all for downloading, trying and reviewing Ace. I am glad you like it.

@David and vic_france
I saw u-he's ACE, but I don't have it. Didn't think that there would be a name collision. Sorry. I'll see what I can do to remedy the situation.
Maybe you could call it AceTone?

I have uploaded a new Mac installer that should take care of the name collision for AU. You can download updated installer from the Ace's web page. Please, let me know if there are any other problems.
Enjoy!

Anybody nice enough to post some clean audio demos?

I'm more used to abusing guitar amps with a OD/Boost pedal in front if it.
Hence the question.

Oh and... which type of cabinet do you recommend?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hey, this thing sounds pretty sweet. Theres a quick video demo on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcmkeYW2NBg

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Thanks, looks like I need to take another closer look.

What is this a clone of?
Fender Champ, as mentioned above?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”