The KVRDC14 results are out!!!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Although I may look like another new member signed up just to vote, I'm a long time freeware addict and have been wanting a decent chorus plugin for ages, until now my go-to has been Kjaerhus Classic with TAL-LX used when I want that particular sound. Most others (and Ableton's built-in one) sound somewhat harsh and digital to my ears. Azurite was a good concept but even that one sounds a little cold IMO. For me then, Multiply was a clear winner.

My votes were based on how useful to me they are, Multiply and ReFine are 2 plugins I expect to use a lot (the latter finding a nice home on my drum bus).

All things considered there was a high standard this year, and any one of the top three would have been a deserving winner.

Turello wrote:I don't wanna start a polemic but IMO Nova67p was deserve the 1st place... -_-
I'm not a new KVR member by any stretch of the imagination, yet I also gave 5 points to Acon Digital, simply because of the fact I found myself using it a lot already in more than one production in the past couple of weeks. It truly is a very good sounding chorus plugin, but also a very nice doubler. It doesn't destroy the sound as so many other chorus plugins do somehow, at least to my ears.

I gave 4 points to Vladg, he also made an awesome plugin!
Music... life would be boring without it.

Compyfox wrote:Maybe Ben, but this comment wasn't adjusted. And Herbert (VoS) and vladg/Fabien proved several times that their creations deserve a top spot considering the time they had to pull off the challenge.

I actually kind of guessed Christian Budde on the game again, this time with a "beta" of PluginAnalyzer v2, but sadly... didn't happen. But in turn, we got two(!) entries by WOK and another synth-thingy by xoxos.

The chorus is (IMO!) absolutely nothing special, and tools like Chorus LX from Togu Audio Line clearly blow that thing out of the water. It's just simple to control, easy to setup, while still sounding transparent and having a tad more control over the voices. I guess this was it's strong point. But it only got 2 points from me.

So winning the top spot is surprising and kind of strange compared to the other great entries (like I said: EpiCentre and Guitar Gadgets - yes, IgniteAmps is great but it's nothing I'd put into the top 3 - post DC2014 were further great free released in the amp section, so we're spoiled in that area!).

I'm definitely more ticked off by the comments towards Variety of Sound - meant light hearted or not.

Then there is absolutely no Synth Entry (Paraphrasis looked like an excellent concept) on the winners podium?!

And the iOS release winner just because it was "the first and only mobile app"?
Didn't happen last time with the first soundware entries.

Come to think of it... DC14 also has less sponsors this time around.
Maybe this shows that the DC is either too irregular, or too hyped.

I mean... the DC even got an own sub-board while all other steady running challenges on KVR (One Synth Challenge, Song Contest Challenge, Mix Challenge) do not.

Just my 2c. :shrug:
Why get so upset? Why don't you except that Acon Digital received first prize? It is an awesome plugin and I happen to have used it more than any other DC14 plugin, so why is it wrong that I awarded it with 5 points? Do we all have to follow your way of thinking?

Maybe we have to change the rules for KVRDC15 and let only you vote, so we are sure that you will not be so disappointed. :wink:
Music... life would be boring without it.

Marando wrote:Why get so upset? Why don't you except that Acon Digital received first prize? It is an awesome plugin and I happen to have used it more than any other DC14 plugin, so why is it wrong that I awarded it with 5 points? Do we all have to follow your way of thinking?

Maybe we have to change the rules for KVRDC15 and let only you vote, so we are sure that you will not be so disappointed. :wink:
:clap: :clap:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I voted for
5 points : EcolooP
4 points : Rez 3
3 points : Doctor Double drop
2 points : ADD-1
1 point : WNP King collection

But it's to subjective...

whyterabbyt wrote:
Marando wrote:Why get so upset? Why don't you except that Acon Digital received first prize? It is an awesome plugin and I happen to have used it more than any other DC14 plugin, so why is it wrong that I awarded it with 5 points? Do we all have to follow your way of thinking?

:clap: :clap:
Not commenting on that.
Neither commenting on the fanboys.

To me this plugin was not worth 5 points (I actually gave it two) - it won by popular votes. I'm not too happy with that - deal with it. It's called "personal opinion".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I'll continue to use Strum, Mate, Lokomotiv and NanoMod that I voted for.

Mormox probably not, as I like Amphetamine by the same dev better.

Compyfox wrote:To me this plugin was not worth 5 points (I actually gave it two) - it won by popular votes. I'm not too happy with that - deal with it. It's called "personal opinion".
Most other people seem to be happy enough with the outcome whatever they voted. They seem to be dealing with it perfectly well. You on the other hand...

By the way, the interesting information for all developers is KVR ranks statistic.

I'd better take this screenshot yesterday because today the statistic is already affected by the results of the competition but it's very interesting though.

For example you can see close concurrency between Lokomotiv and Refine (7 and 30 days statistic) and Guitar Gadgets entry is just missing in 7 days stats as Flextron DC14. And we see strong constant interest to Emissary.
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Gamma-UT wrote:
Compyfox wrote:To me this plugin was not worth 5 points (I actually gave it two) - it won by popular votes. I'm not too happy with that - deal with it. It's called "personal opinion".
Most other people seem to be happy enough with the outcome whatever they voted. They seem to be dealing with it perfectly well. You on the other hand...
I slowly get the feeling that there was something fishy going on here. And this is merely what I'm commenting on. Apparently, criticism still is a red flag here on KVR.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:I slowly get the feeling that there was something fishy going on here. And this is merely what I'm commenting on. Apparently, criticism still is a red flag here on KVR.
No, you were commenting on the iniquity of people voting for different things to you as well as some weird obsession with the sanctity of VoS. Voting irregularities simply provide some post-rationalisation to avoid it looking as though you are incapable of understanding that other people can have different and valid opinions.

And before we crack open the big box of torches and pitchforks, consider that Multiply, as well as Nova-67P, featured prominently on other blogs and forums, which link directly to the devs' download pages and not through the KVR database, so any downloads from those would not register in the stats here. Vlad himself has pointed out that a key element that may have pushed Multiply over the finish line was AAX compatibility – the plugin was not just featured on Pro Tools Expert but in a video. Acon also made the "Vote for me" button somewhat more prominent on their site. Again, that may have been enough to push it over.

You don't necessarily have to invoke ghost accounts to get there, although we might have the weird situation where more non-regular KVRs and regulars from other forums voted than the people who use the database here more and only noticed Multiply after it had won.

Compyfox wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:
I slowly get the feeling that there was something fishy going on here. And this is merely what I'm commenting on. Apparently, criticism still is a red flag here on KVR.
Rational criticism not so much.
Allegations of fraud merely because a free vote doesnt concur with your opinions, pretty much, though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Congratulations to the winners. I missed Acon's entry but it's not surprising that it won after listening to it shortly. Definitely a well deserved first place.

I think a special round of applause should go to chopen for sheer determination and support for the EcolooP. If only some of the payware developers were more supportive of their products :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Respect given. :tu:
:tu: All is good

whether or not fraud took place in the voting process :hihi: is immaterial. i'm amused by the winner being "a con" but couldn't care less.

what i am concerned about is that (a) compyfox acts so surprised. deception and complicity permeate civilisation. it's no big deal. and (b) if you wish to create awareness of deception, lambasting will draw "critical" responses. instead, do not act as if you are shocked if and when you encounter it. that will communicate much more effectively that you are aware of it.

to "pick" on someone, remember jackdark - he closed shop and had big "going out of business" sales three times, reinventing himself each time. the plugins he sold appealed because of provocative artwork, rumour and ignorance. they were fairly expensive for SE ware, and, since he asked me to work on some with him, consisted of stock SE modules connected to ambiguously named controls so that they were fun to use and could not be appraised as "a chorus that goes into a delay thru a modulated filter for some of the cycle" et c.

i doubt anyone who paid for them feels decieved, and his work generated enthusiasm for independent developers and synthedit. it's part of the nature of production and the marketplace. he took advantage of people who didn't make weird stuff in synthedit, and most people think advantage is a pretty good thing.

if we can acknowledge and then anticipate this, perhaps we are a step closer to more rational models for exchange, as we can more accurately appreciate what we are being offered, instead of living in a make-believe world where we expect everyone to treat us fairly.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”