Fabfilter Pro-Q 2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

Sampleconstruct wrote:It does make sense to setup your own Pro-Q presets though, for returning tasks like e.g. reducing certain harmonics from a certain string instrument or removing bow noises from flageolet notes when making samples for a library. Those EQ settings often involve plenty of bands which take a while to setup, so once you've made such a preset the recall will save you a lot of time, then you only have to adjust the settings to match the respective root note you're editing and the overall gain settings by grabbing all the nodes and adjusting them simultaneously.
Yeah, in this case that makes sense. I did the same for a vocal sample library once. That's a job I rarely do, mostly it's "just" recording, mixing and mastering. This preset I have never used again though :wink:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I don't own Pro-Q, but do have Twin-II and Timeless-II. The Timeless presets are absolute garbage. But that's getting very OT.

Pro-Q 2 looks wonderful :-)

That's a great band name: Timeless Garbage

spirit wrote:The Timeless presets are absolute garbage.
+1

As for EQ presets, of course they are useful, why not?!

I use EQs in foobar2000 all the time through the vst adapter and often make a preset for a particular album, band or music style. Which I can recall next time when I'm listening to the same thing.
Or just a preset I may sometimes need - e.g. when my ears are tired but I'd like to listen to some goa trance, the low end has to be down by a lot, highs a bit up - pull the preset and that's it!

For me, it's not just a preset - it's the result of a complex thought process, lots of tweaking and matching to my personal preferences. Same goes for music making, it's great to have repeated and easy access to the work that I've done and the results that I like.

But I use mostly GlissEQ lately, simply because dynamic EQs rule the universe!

And IMHO, Pro-Q won't be number 1 until it gets dynamic equalization at least as good as Voxengo's. Which we will probably see in version 3. I hope so.

toothnclaw wrote:But I use mostly GlissEQ lately, simply because dynamic EQs rule the universe!

And IMHO, Pro-Q won't be number 1 until it gets dynamic equalization at least as good as Voxengo's. Which we will probably see in version 3. I hope so.
Got the Gliss too. I just never get used to it. The results never satisfied me enough to use it regularly. Interestingly I also never had "problem" that couldn't be solved with the normal static EQs.

So I'm not convinced that dynamic EQs are THE future. Over 50 years now great mixes were done without it. I believe if you pay your most attention during arranging and recording, such issues shouldn't pop up.

As always YMMV :D

The biggest problem of min. phase eq's is transparency, and very much sounds the same.
The biggest problem of lin. phase eq's is pre ringing.
So there is only one choice, and that is natural phase or analog phase eq that is very transparent.

Extremely transparent eq is Pro-MB without compressor or expander. (Dynamic Phase) just like eq.

So all my expectations are here with Natural Phase in Pro-Q 2.

Dynamic EQs are much more than just EQs, they can be used for so many different things like transient shaping, multibandband compression/expansion, or adding/reducing harmonics to a signal following the pitch of the incoming signal (Melda AutoDynEQ is great for that), so apples and oranges really, not either or.

Yeah, Gliss is also capable of doing that. Maybe it's just me not having spent more time with it. To me I couldn't get really good results in a fast way, or maybe I was just not listening the right way :)

Does someone know if v2 will overwrite v1? Or will they exist in parallel?

If v2 overwrites v1, I hope it can open old projects with v1 correctly ;)

deft_bonz wrote:Does someone know if v2 will overwrite v1? Or will they exist in parallel?

If v2 overwrites v1, I hope it can open old projects with v1 correctly ;)
It will be parallel (well, that's a very definite statement, but I'm 99.9% sure)

I'm really interested in giving this a try but I don't see anywhere to download the V2 demo. All the demo listings seem to be the older versions.
Perhaps it is just too early and they haven't updated their website yet.

AusDisciple wrote:I'm really interested in giving this a try but I don't see anywhere to download the V2 demo. All the demo listings seem to be the older versions.
It will be released tomorrow (28th), so that explains why you can't download it yet ;)

AusDisciple wrote:I'm really interested in giving this a try but I don't see anywhere to download the V2 demo. All the demo listings seem to be the older versions.
Don't think it's actually "out" til tomorrow.

BDeep wrote:
It will be released tomorrow (28th), so that explains why you can't download it yet ;)
Depending on his time zone it IS already 28th :party:

PS: naaah... that's not yet possible, is it?

Return to “Effects”