Sonar X3 studio or producer

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering which version of sonar x3 is the better choice to get? Sonar X3 Studio or Producer? I've looked at the feature set and it seems producer comes with more mixing/mastering tools, more instruments and the full version of rapture and dim pro, among some other things.

Are the extra features that Producer has worth getting it over the Studio version? Are the instruments such as addictive drums, true pianos amber and the full version of rapture and dim pro worth having?

I don't know if I'll actually buy any of them, but I've seen then on sale for a good discounted rate for the upgrade versions. I currently have an old Sonar 6 Home Studio XL.

Thanks!

If you are not in a hurry, there´s probably a new version X4 coming in a few months.
That said X3 Studio has a great price/value ratio.

I don't know if I want to wait because of the cost to upgrade when the new one comes out. Right now there's a really good deal for the programs.

Does sonar give big discounts right when the new versions come out?

Not from Cakewalk AFAIK. Dealers may have some minor discounts. Usually after about six months there´s great deals from Cakewalk.

I upgraded my Sonar 8.5 to X3, base version for $40 or something like that almost a year ago.

Look at Sonar X3 if that is not enough for your purpose. Studio and Producer have some more features, but much less so than it used to be. Mostly plugins and synths are added.

If you've got most things you need of synths and effects - going simple could be enough.

I picked up Sonar X3 Producer about a month ago. I went for Producer because of the extra ProChannel functionality. I love the ProChannel. The modules themselves are great, but the way ProChannel has improved my workflow has made me very happy indeed. I'm going to purchase the additional ProChannel pack when it goes on sale again ($99). I personally think the extras in Producer are worth it, especially the ProChannel stuff, but the other things are also very good too. I think Studio is lacking a bit too much of what makes X3 so good.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying working within the X3 environment and it's been 100% stable too, which is a plus. I had previously been using Reaper for a few years. I still love Reaper too though.

I should also say that I don't think Sonar X3 is exactly heavy on tools for mastering. I still use Ozone 5 for limiting. Maybe there's something included that works well, but I still found Ozone got me the best results. I'm no mastering expert though.

Producer for the AD and ProChannel... definitely. don't know what all is in studio that much, i've used Producer since X1.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Do you guys think the extra synths and plugins are worth it to get the producer edition over the studio or even regular x3? Are there free or low cost synths and plugins that are similar to the ones that come with producer to where I could just get the studio version and use 3rd party synths and plugins?

I guess it depends on the difference in cost, but if AD Drums (AD Drums is a full version and can be used in any other host as well, it's not locked to Sonar) appeals at all, then I'd say it should be enough to tip the balance all on its own.

The EQ Zoom and Analyser is very well done and very handy. But if you tend to use another EQ, then I suppose that's a moot point.

Then we get into the Lounge Lizard light edition that you get (that seems to work in other hosts too - but I'm not sure it's meant to as Strum doesn't), Strum Acoustic, extra TH2 stuff, Tape and Console emulators etc. etc. All very good, very usable stuff.

So, if you think you'll use even one or two of the extras, then, yes, I'd say it'll be well worth it - depends on how much the difference in price is of course, but it's an attractive set of tools! I doubt you'll be able to gather anything together to rival this set for a lower cost than the difference you'll pay between Studio and Pro.

Shangsean wrote:I'm going to purchase the additional ProChannel pack when it goes on sale again ($99).
Same here, if I can wait that long. I was all set to buy it during the last sale, and when I finally got around to it, I missed it by one day! :cry: I almost just bought it at full price last week, but decided to wait to see if there is a Labor Day sale, but I'm losing hope now. Anyway, yeah, the PC is one of Sonar's best features.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Studio is more than enough for me.

Stuff like the Tone 2 filter you can get free in a CM Mag issue anyway.

How much is the difference between the 2 for you?

I just got the producer and, well, so far money well spent!

I don't have many 3rd party plugs (just Z3ta+ 2), so for me was a bargain.

Better package than the Live Suite 8 I have (and love too).

If you have many 3rd party plugs, go for the cheaper version.

XorXisT wrote:How much is the difference between the 2 for you?

I just got the producer and, well, so far money well spent!

I don't have many 3rd party plugs (just Z3ta+ 2), so for me was a bargain.

Better package than the Live Suite 8 I have (and love too).

If you have many 3rd party plugs, go for the cheaper version.
+1

Producer has a lot of great add-ons but only you know if you need them.

in your original post you didn't mention if you are switching from some other DAW or are you brand new? if you don't have much experience and your not spending significant time working on large projects then producer is probably overkill. there are lots of free synths and plugins to use while you learn your craft.

nyrv
nyrv

Bridging the gap between analog and digital workflow
http://www.nyrvsystems.com http://www.twitter.com/nyrvsystems

I'm switching from Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. I'm somewhere in between a beginner and intermediate user. I don't know everything about sound recording nor using Sonar's daw's, but I've been able to record some things in the past, though I haven't been involved with music recording for a little over 2 years. I still have a lot to learn as far as recording and mixing/mastering goes. I'm definitely not working on big projects. I'm thinking I will get x3 studio for now. The biggest thing I'd want from producer is Addictive Drums for realistic drum sounds, but I may be able to get by for a while or longer with some free vst's for that

3ptguitarist wrote:I'm switching from Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. I'm somewhere in between a beginner and intermediate user. I don't know everything about sound recording nor using Sonar's daw's, but I've been able to record some things in the past, though I haven't been involved with music recording for a little over 2 years. I still have a lot to learn as far as recording and mixing/mastering goes. I'm definitely not working on big projects. I'm thinking I will get x3 studio for now. The biggest thing I'd want from producer is Addictive Drums for realistic drum sounds, but I may be able to get by for a while or longer with some free vst's for that
I got the Producer package because I only have Z3ta+ 2, Live Suite 8 and freeware. The price was really cheap so I could not resist. :hihi:

So for me AD2, Rapture Full, Dimension Pro, TruePianos Amber, ProChannel (8 modules), Boutique Suite (8 plugs), was a big plus.

Go for studio version and then in the future you can add whatever plugs you want.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”