Are Logic Pro's included effects/instruments CPU-efficient?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!
Title says it all... Are they or they are rather cpu-hungry? I mean compressors, EQs, delays, standard stuff, not talking about this hog Space Designer. Don't have Mac so can't test but need to know it.
For example I find Studio One's bundled plugins not so light on CPU but Ableton's/Bitwig's are okay.
Can standard Macbook Air with i5 handle average project in Logic with some AUs and mostly Logic's built-in plugins?

I have an i5 MBA with Logic Pro X on it and, while I mostly use it for scratch tracks, recording vocals and voiceovers for tutorials, and other light uses, it seems to handle it with no problems. My typical scratch tracks have 6-8 soft synths, usually a drum sampler, and 10-20 FX plugins (usually Logic's plugins + some FabFilter plugins). Not sure how helpful that is, though, since I've never really tried to push it to the limit.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

ssl4000 wrote:Hi guys!
Title says it all... Are they or they are rather cpu-hungry? I mean compressors, EQs, delays, standard stuff, not talking about this hog Space Designer. Don't have Mac so can't test but need to know it.
For example I find Studio One's bundled plugins not so light on CPU but Ableton's/Bitwig's are okay.
Can standard Macbook Air with i5 handle average project in Logic with some AUs and mostly Logic's built-in plugins?
they are all heavily sse optimised. very efficient. space designer is not a hog at all, i can use hundreds on my 3.5 yo laptop. cheers.

ssl4000 wrote:Can standard Macbook Air with i5 handle average project in Logic with some AUs and mostly Logic's built-in plugins?
Logic and its instruments/effects are very efficient. The MBA will have no issues whatsoever.
I have used Logic and now Live on an MBA, and Live is running fine, even though it's much less efficient than Logic.

Oh, and if you see EFM1 and Delay Designer, tell them I miss them, okay?

I will :(
Thanks for awesome replies! Really helpful.

Yeah, I have a default Logic Pro X template with a bunch of separate synth/sampler tracks, channel strips, and effects busses, hardly uses any CPU/memory on my 2012 MBP.

IME MainStage 3 is a different beast-- uses a lot of resources, even on very simple plugin chains.

Extremely efficient.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Extremely efficient.
+1 undoubtely
(...as well as the apple AU included, if needed)

I should point out that they sound pretty good too!

The ES-2 synthesizer is easily amongst my favorites and I'm pretty picky as far as plugin synthesizers go (trust me). It sounds good and it's super light on the CPU.

It might not do VA as good as Tyrell N6 or Diva but it can do some pretty good Bread & Butter sounds with ease. I only wish they fixed the GUI by making it vector based.

If your into EDM sounds you might like this video. If not just ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7krq3y3wo
:borg:

Another one for high efficiency, though I don't have much experience with other DAWs, with the exception of Reaper (which I found clunky in comparison). I have found the biggest CPU hog for instruments is Sculpture, though I can still run as many instances of that as I need. If you have the chops and imagination, you don't need to go outside of Logic to make some great music. Given that I run a fair number of 3rd party plugs, I occasionally run into a CPU issue, but not that often, and usually never something that can't be easily worked around.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Another ES2 fan here. Just an excellent synth, sounds great through some logic/fabfilter/valhalla delays and verbs.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Efficient and very good on the whole. I think Logic Pro X is a very well rounded DAW, some superb instruments and effects. The new Retro Synth covers a lot of ground, sounds good and is light on CPU. Some of the GUI's such as ES2 could really do with an update though.

Winstontaneous wrote:Yeah, I have a default Logic Pro X template with a bunch of separate synth/sampler tracks, channel strips, and effects busses, hardly uses any CPU/memory on my 2012 MBP.

IME MainStage 3 is a different beast-- uses a lot of resources, even on very simple plugin chains.

exs24 also very clever the way it allocates sample ram, and it never doubles up on using the same patch over multiple instances in a project

it's also ridiculously cpu efficient. As in, doesn't even blip the meter. 64 polyphony and like 5% of one core here playing all 64 notes LOL!

V0RT3X wrote:I should point out that they sound pretty good too!

The ES-2 synthesizer is easily amongst my favorites and I'm pretty picky as far as plugin synthesizers go (trust me). It sounds good and it's super light on the CPU.

It might not do VA as good as Tyrell N6 or Diva but it can do some pretty good Bread & Butter sounds with ease. I only wish they fixed the GUI by making it vector based.

If your into EDM sounds you might like this video. If not just ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7krq3y3wo
wow just goes to show how an over decade old synth in the right hands sounds as good as the stuff today. What a brilliant soundset demo. Thanks for this.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”