Which Arturia VSTi is still worth to get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:
Breeze wrote:Very gracious of you. And I will be abstaining from posting there out of the same graciousness. :D
Not a prophet V fan?
No: I'm getting the V-collection. Why should I try to get an additional free license and not leave that opportunity to others less fortunate or more frugal than I? ;)

Breeze wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Breeze wrote:So the idea of wading through 1000's of meh patches in the entire collection isn't very appealing, although the Analog Collection sounds like it could be more than just that, a kind of mini-Kore suhost for all these plugins; is that what it is?
In some respects it is but what it lacks is the ability to import presets so it's limited to the factory banks and (possibly - not sure how many) at least some of the official addons on the Arturia site.
That's a pretty serious "omission". Are the factory banks coded in some way so they can't be replaced or substituted? This is something so patently useful that it's definitely worth some lobbying efforts.
I don't know - like many Arturia synths it's something of a mystery as to even where the presets are stored on the hard drive, I have never been able to find a location for them, maybe they are internal to the plugin even. You do appear to be able to save single presets and using this I have, experimentally, managed to save a couple of my own SEM patches into the Analog Lab library but you can only do this per preset, there is no import, and the file save as dialogue doesn't identify a location for where the preset is saved to, I guess it uses some sort of database for all presets, so for all I know if I update it I could lose the ones I have imported. I can however import and export a preset as a file so could use that to back any up I have saved.

It seems Arturia intend it primarily to be a preset player for their plugins but not so much a preset manager, except in a limited sense of being able to add ratings and tags. It's a pity, I prefer the interface to their other plugins and it could be a great preset manager and sound design tool if it was opened up a bit.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breeze wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
Breeze wrote:Very gracious of you. And I will be abstaining from posting there out of the same graciousness. :D
Not a prophet V fan?
No: I'm getting the V-collection. Why should I try to get an additional free license and not leave that opportunity to others less fortunate or more frugal than I? ;)
Ohh I probably should have read all the posts in this thread before chiming in.

I get it now. :dog:
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I get it now. :dog:
As an old Eastern European piano teacher I had used to say (in a deep Eastern European accent): "We all have our oopsa moments..." :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote:You do appear to be able to save single presets and using this I have, experimentally, managed to save a couple of my own SEM patches into the Analog Lab library but you can only do this per preset, there is no import, and the file save as dialogue doesn't identify a location for where the preset is saved to, I guess it uses some sort of database for all presets, so for all I know if I update it I could lose the ones I have imported. I can however import and export a preset as a file so could use that to back any up I have saved.
Well knowing I can save and recall single setups is good news, but ultimately want our personal work integrated into the main database. If you use it in a DAW, will the DAW at least recall the correct setup, mods and all, in a project? I would hope it can at least do that.
aMUSEd wrote:It seems Arturia intend it primarily to be a preset player for their plugins but not so much a preset manager, except in a limited sense of being able to add ratings and tags. It's a pity, I prefer the interface to their other plugins and it could be a great preset manager and sound design tool if it was opened up a bit.
I totally agree and once I'm up and running, I'll try to open a dialogue about this with Arturia support and probably post about it on their own forums. I'm fine with limiting the scope to their own lineup of synths: it's just short sighted to limit a creative tool like this in this way. But maybe this is already planned in a future iteration of Analog Lab. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Or it's planned obsolescence... ;)

aMUSEd wrote:I don't know - like many Arturia synths it's something of a mystery as to even where the presets are stored on the hard drive, I have never been able to find a location for them, maybe they are internal to the plugin even.
I think I found the location!! :o
I'm under Win 7 here ... I found them in C:\Users\All Users\Arturia ...
I know for a fact the Moog Modular V presets are in here. They are in a plain-text readable format, and I found the few patches that I've created so far.
However .. Analog Lab ...
These appear to me to be in mass-database format, and are NOT clear text. There IS a folder titled "Preset Library," but in it I see none of the presets I have saved from within Analog Lab.
So, perhaps that still remains a mystery.
I may attempt simply copying the entire Moog Modular presets folder structure into that Analog Lab "Preset Library" folder and see what happens. I'm sure it won't break anything :lol:

I agree tho. Analog Lab really would be and could be super useful as a preset management app. It really seems like that's how it was developed .. but maybe not.
I'm down with campaigning Arturia to make it so!! :clap: :tu: :party:

Breeze wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I get it now. :dog:
As an old Eastern European piano teacher I had used to say (in a deep Eastern European accent): "We all have our oopsa moments..." :hihi:
I have them numerous times a day :hihi:

artao wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I don't know - like many Arturia synths it's something of a mystery as to even where the presets are stored on the hard drive, I have never been able to find a location for them, maybe they are internal to the plugin even.
I think I found the location!! :o
I'm under Win 7 here ... I found them in C:\Users\All Users\Arturia ...
I know for a fact the Moog Modular V presets are in here. They are in a plain-text readable format, and I found the few patches that I've created so far.
However .. Analog Lab ...
These appear to me to be in mass-database format, and are NOT clear text. There IS a folder titled "Preset Library," but in it I see none of the presets I have saved from within Analog Lab.
So, perhaps that still remains a mystery.
I may attempt simply copying the entire Moog Modular presets folder structure into that Analog Lab "Preset Library" folder and see what happens. I'm sure it won't break anything :lol:

I agree tho. Analog Lab really would be and could be super useful as a preset management app. It really seems like that's how it was developed .. but maybe not.
I'm down with campaigning Arturia to make it so!! :clap: :tu: :party:
I found a folder called preset library for Analog Lab but it has nothing in it at all.

Still waiting for my downloads to complete... Have you guys looked at this Solutions thread in the Arturia forum? Read the section called "Wanna manage own scenes and sounds in LABORATORY?"

Does this not work? It does sound like a workaround though. :shrug:

aMUSEd wrote:I found a folder called preset library for Analog Lab but it has nothing in it at all.
Yeah .. that's what I meant. It's empty.
However, there's a couple *.data files that may hold preset data (from the little I can make out) ... also the folder dbsrc has a reasonably large file that could be preset data. ... who knows
At any rate, any presets appear to be in some sort of (encrypted?) database format, non-human-readable .. unlike the presets I've found for MMV.
I started a thread about it on the Arturia forums
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/in ... ic=83102.0
Breeze wrote:Still waiting for my downloads to complete... Have you guys looked at this Solutions thread in the Arturia forum? Read the section called "Wanna manage own scenes and sounds in LABORATORY?"

Does this not work? It does sound like a workaround though. :shrug:
Won't work from what I can tell. Seems Analog Lab uses a different file format than Analog Laboratory ... and the synths themselves.
Last edited by artao on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

V0RT3X wrote:I have them numerous times a day :hihi:
What? Eastern European teachers? :hihi: :lol: :D

artao wrote:I started a thread about it on the Arturia forums
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/in ... ic=83102.0
Well said. I''ll be chiming in strategically. We shouldn't let that post wither away and die. While the workaround might work, it's certainly not as elegant as a transparent user management of all patches.

Again: :box:

Breeze wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I have them numerous times a day :hihi:
What? Eastern European teachers? :hihi: :lol: :D
oh no just those Oopsa moments :hihi:

Just for clarification:

If I choose a preset in Analog Lab, then open the corresponding synth to tweak parameters which are not available in AL, can I store the new sound as a preset in AL?

Yes you can

Return to “Instruments”