Best taiko drum VST for the price?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone. Right now, I only have the stock percussion that came with Kontakt. It's good for what it is, but I feel it's a little limited with the sounds. I've been browsing the internet for a better one. The ones that keep popping up are Tsaiko, 8dio's Taiko Ensemble and Solo Taiko, and Nine Volt Audio's Taiko 2 and Action Drums.

All of them are between $150-$200, so the prices are quite similar (obviously). My question is what the best one is for the money. Has anyone had any experience with any of these plugins?

Another option is to buy FXpansion BFD Eco which is currently on sale for $49 and includes a free copy of our Rock Legends QuickPack (which retails for $59.99).

You can then buy FXpansion's Taiko kit for 30% off during July.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=73&tab=205

Rail

Is this legit? It's free and sounds uhm... too good to be free http://subaqueousmusic.com/free-taiko-drum-rack/

The guy never explains where he got all the samples. Best library for the value provided it's not a ripped off version!

The best I've heard were from Cinesamples, not sure about the price though.

From the creator of the soundset:

"Yes I did [record them]. It was apart of a school project years ago in Seattle. I held on to the recordings for years and then got savvy at Live and made a pack."

So... YAY!

Oooh nice... can't beat free taikos... :tu:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Some of the samples are missing from the SFZ. I emailed the guy. Hopefully... still a very usable sound but it's more like just one drum being hit close, far away, and a few clicks. Not bad for free at all though! You have to unzip the one-shots into "Samples/Processed/Crop" Sforzando tells you where they need to be.

I performed with a taiko group for a couple of years, so I'm really picky about taiko sample libraries. In fact I'm not sure any of them are actually good -- just enough for some big dramatic cinematic drums. (And you might be better off with surdo or frame drum samples for that anyway.)

Granted I haven't tried them all, but every one I've messed with has ranged somewhere between disappointing and "did you even try?" For instance, the taiko kit in the Maschine factory library has completely different room characteristics between the "don" (loud strike near center of head) and "ka" (tapping the rim).

The 8dio Solo Taiko set doesn't have what I'd consider a minimally useful set of tools for trying to put together a solo on odaiko or chu-daiko. (It does have some decent shime-daiko samples if you don't want to do anything particularly expressive with it, and if you edit the mapping to remove some out-of-place hits.) Maybe the ensemble set is a bit better, but I was too disheartened by the solo one to even try.

The general problem seems to be a lack of familiarity with how the instruments are played, solo and in ensembles. Imagine a trumpet player trying to put together "the ultimate solo violin sample library" but not understanding different bowing articulations -- and then a keyboard player trying to put together a solo line out of that mess. For at least some feeling for it, I recommend watching the DVD "Oedo Sukeroku Taiko Live: The Drums Of Tokyo."

I have the opposite problem; I know taiko but I am too much of a beginner at recording and don't have the gear or the time to do it justice. But I'd at least try to record in as dry a room as possible, or outdoors. I would not leave out any of the drums or percussion instruments: chu, shime, sumo, odaiko, katsugi okedo, kane, atarigane, uchiwa-daiko, chappa, plus conch shells and various shakers. I'd include all the solo articulations at various velocities and bachi types, and the common ensemble ones.

Oh, and a really thorough taiko sample library that was going for authenticity should also have fue and maybe shinobue (flutes) since those typically go along with taiko ensembles.

Evolution just released a Taiko library. Despite the samurai-figure in the cover, it sounds nice and Evo's World Percussion is top-bar.

If you can be bothered sampling, Kodo are the premier taiko group in Japan> get one of their recordings, sample away. Apparently its been done many times!!

Aryaroman wrote:Evolution just released a Taiko library. Despite the samurai-figure in the cover, it sounds nice and Evo's World Percussion is top-bar.
Evolution Series is selling it's Taiko for 99$. The sale is for another couple of days.

Return to “Instruments”