TimeDomain: EpiCentre Support

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
EpiCentre

Just want to chime in and say that Epicentre gets my five points. I have a fairly good understanding of the sounds I can get out of the synthesizers that I use regularly, but now, I have to re-think everything, how will they sound with Epicentre. I love crunch, and this is like deep-fried crunch and you know how everything tastes better when it's deep-fried.

Very well done! I'm sure I'll get years of use out of this one, thank you (both of you) very much.

this one also got my 5 points,love the sound of it.

ras.s wrote:Just want to chime in and say that Epicentre gets my five points. I have a fairly good understanding of the sounds I can get out of the synthesizers that I use regularly, but now, I have to re-think everything, how will they sound with Epicentre. I love crunch, and this is like deep-fried crunch and you know how everything tastes better when it's deep-fried.

Very well done! I'm sure I'll get years of use out of this one, thank you (both of you) very much.

S-N-S wrote:this one also got my 5 points,love the sound of it.
Glad you like it!

Thx guys for liking it. But 99% has been done by Andrew aka "The Mastermind". He is the man with the code. I am only pushing the pixels. :)
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

I just wanna thank everybody who downloaded and tested EpiCentre. And thanks to all other devs for some nice plugins, apps and samples. Thanks to the people who reported bugs or unusual behaviour too. And thanks to the people who voted for us. I hope you have had some fun so far because Andrew and I will work further on EpiCentre as he stated a few posts earlier and all the other forthcoming stuff he has in mind.

And I will work further on the new HYDi skin. After countless hours with her I thought a more user friendly skin that represents her sonic mono capabilities a tad more would be a good idea. :) I hope you like it. Still WIP. Things can change.

Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Also five points here. :)
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Yeah this plug is awesome. I just loaded up a basic saw wave and fiddled with it for over an hour in awe of how many great sounds I could get out of it. Will definitely be using this one for a long time. Thanks for the hard work!

tommyfrizz wrote:Yeah this plug is awesome. I just loaded up a basic saw wave and fiddled with it for over an hour in awe of how many great sounds I could get out of it. Will definitely be using this one for a long time. Thanks for the hard work!
Thanks ! There is more in store in the next coming weeks too... :borg:

thomekk wrote:Also five points here. :)
:D

I'd like to see a multiband version of this. Is that likely?

DysfunK_Shaun wrote:I'd like to see a multiband version of this. Is that likely?
Thanks for the suggestion! In the mid-term, a fully fledged multi-band version is not on the cards, but some effects *might* become multiband in the newest version that I'm working on, though - the 3x knob rule will still apply.

I usually do 2x projects a year, for this year there will be a compressor codename: MOULD-R, and a true stereo polyphonic synth codename: JACKi. DC14 has taken quite a chunk of my time. If EpiCentre gets reasonable use post DC by a certain amount of people, i.e. there is demand -> measured by “frequency of posts to thread by various individuals” (no other way to measure this?) ; I would gladly add “EpiCentre2″ to my project list next year.

Have entertained the thought recently, but I was thinking of adding a full modulation system, most distortion plugs don't have dedicated modulation. i.e. completely de-couple the current modulation stuff and put in into its own section. 2x stereo LFOs (you really want 2), 1x Envelope follower with 2x modes – normal & adaptive – can also detect either Mid or Side or L/R max and rough frequency estimation etc. Bandsplit modes migh be interisting in this context too....

Andrew

!

O_o

Now you got me intrigued, what have you got hidden in your treasure troves if you do two projects a year and you've only released HyDI before Epicentre. ;)

But please oh please do keep working on Epicentre. Even though I'm the kind of guy who is vocal only in the wrong places at the wrong times, count me in as one keeping an eye on your works. For your future works, if you let me entertain a thought just a little bit, .. What I'd like to see from you sometime somewhere down the road is a drum synthesizer. Then I could rock on with just your plugins. But damn, a polyphonic synth sounds interesting, what you can come up..

I've got one distortion plug that has a fairly good modulation system, Rob Papen's Distort, and indeed it would be interesting what you could do with something similar. But not just LFOs, envelopes too. What I'd like to see with Epicentre is that, well, it's effectively a single-slot multi-effect -- I'd like to have atleast two slots, would ease chaining and could create interesting sounds with just a single plugin.

Too bad you didn't receive a higher ranking, I thought you would way up there in the top. Perhaps it was the Windows-only thing, or 32bit and Synthedit stigma, but hopefully those will be addressed by the next DC by Synthedit itself.. And one thing I appreciate in Epicentre is that indeed, it's a multi-effect. It must be pain to choose which variables to expose to the user, keeping the software easy to use yet an adventure to explore it. It's a very delicate balance and I think you did well. I mean, you could have given every single possible parameter available for tweaking and it would have been very hard to use, sticking with just a few knobs keeps the fun in it.

On a more general note, I think you should ask Ben for a forum of your own, so it would be easier to keep up with your works, and for people discussing tips and tricks and patches and features and all that.

And on the previous page you asked for opinions about whatever you should update Epicentre here or split the version to its own; I think you should split it. The version that's there would remain as a sort of historical piece reprenting this competition, for what it's worth, while you could have better control of distribution of the next version (statistics and whatnot).

In any case, looking forward to whatever you come up with next.

ras.s wrote: But damn, a polyphonic synth sounds interesting, what you can come up..
Yeah, it's currently in 'parts', the osc, filter, and function generator is 90% done - but it has not made a single bleep yet, programming on faith atm. Just to note - it's completely stereo too, beginning to end. Just for a sneak peek, the function generator is loosely based on this:
http://www.intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/quadra/

ras.s wrote: But not just LFOs, envelopes too.
Will make a note of this...
ras.s wrote: What I'd like to see with Epicentre is that, well, it's effectively a single-slot multi-effect -- I'd like to have atleast two slots, would ease chaining and could create interesting sounds with just a single plugin.
Hmm, if I take your idea and DysfunK_Shaun suggestion, and you have it make a baby: with 2-slots - you can have 3x routing modes, serial, parallel, bandsplit parallel...CPU might be killer though, my max range for developing EpiCentre was 3% CPU.
ras.s wrote: It must be pain to choose which variables to expose to the user, keeping the software easy to use yet an adventure to explore it. It's a very delicate balance and I think you did well. I mean, you could have given every single possible parameter available for tweaking and it would have been very hard to use, sticking with just a few knobs keeps the fun in it.
Yeah, just 3 knobs is a real pain, was complaining about this alot through development; I have gained th utmost respect for people you design guitar pedals who make these hard decisions on a daily basis.
ras.s wrote: And on the previous page you asked for opinions about whatever you should update Epicentre here or split the version to its own; I think you should split it. The version that's there would remain as a sort of historical piece reprenting this competition, for what it's worth, while you could have better control of distribution of the next version (statistics and whatnot).
Here's my conundrum, what you say is valid but sofar - it seems there will be 3x versions - current version(1.2.1), a slightly bigger version (in the coming weeks) - let's call this versionX, and a *maybe* EpiCentre2.

The thing is, versionX will not have changed that much to warrant calling it 'version 2'; it always annoys me if devs release a version 2 of something with minimal changes and even worse, if they charge you for it!

The nice thing about your suggestion is that with versionX is that if I split it, I can have stats, but loose having it in the KVR database because of name conflicts... Though, 'for historical note' makes so much sense, HYDi 1.3 is very different from its humble DC12 beginning. Maybe make it a "[something] edition"?

Ichad.c wrote: Yeah, it's currently in 'parts', the osc, filter, and function generator is 90% done - but it has not made a single bleep yet, programming on faith atm. Just to note - it's completely stereo too, beginning to end. Just for a sneak peek, the function generator is loosely based on this:
http://www.intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/quadra/
That's a very elegant design, I must say. Two knobs, two switches, plenty of possibilities. Obviously the shape of the curve is important.. And over 30 second time range sounds like the perfect thing for the ambient crowd.

Ichad.c wrote: Hmm, if I take your idea and DysfunK_Shaun suggestion, and you have it make a baby: with 2-slots - you can have 3x routing modes, serial, parallel, bandsplit parallel...CPU might be killer though, my max range for developing EpiCentre was 3% CPU.
Man don't get me too excited! After I posted I thought about should I add something about serial/parallel option 'cause that's the main nag about some multi-effects, they're either-or, but not both.. But then you go and say bandsplit!

It might be killer processing wise, but if it's heavy now, it'll be a breeze the next time we got money to upgrade processors.. So, if you can make it without a single instance choking the entire computer, please do make it.
Ichad.c wrote: The nice thing about your suggestion is that with versionX is that if I split it, I can have stats, but loose having it in the KVR database because of name conflicts... Though, 'for historical note' makes so much sense, HYDi 1.3 is very different from its humble DC12 beginning. Maybe make it a "[something] edition"?
Shadow zone, supershear? But whatever you name it, I think it would still come up in the KVR database under your developer name? Then people looking for Epicentre could be hinted to check that as well..

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”