Recommend an affordable USB Audio Interface with at least 3 inputs.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Although I started out working with DAWs to make electronic music I find myself drifting more and more to my basic love of singer/songwriting.

I want to record my guitar with 2 mics while my voice with another (2xB5 + 1XAT2020).
Now my Interface (UA-25) only has 2 inputs so I don't see another option than to buy another interface.

I will probably sell my old AI but If I get 50 euros for it that would be grand.. and I can't spend too much money either (probably will be looking second hand as well).

Any recommendations for an AI around 150 euros (new/used) would be appreciated.

PS. Just to be sure: There is no way Sonar and/or Live can use 2 interfaces at the same time right?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I used to use 2 mics one for guitar and one on voice for awhile or I'd use one mic and record both acoustic guitar and vocal with it . The one mic way worked and sounded better and also a 2 mic xy setup capturing vocal and guitar sounded OK ...but never really sounded pro sounding or good enough IMHO..... That was a long long time ago .... Now a capture a song with one mic vocal and guitar as a scratch track or rough draft... Then I figure out the tempo/BPM .. And I redo the song ,track everything separately ( overdub ) to a click or drumloop track .... I get way better results .Just thought I make this suggestion before you cash in on a new USB interface ... If I was to get a new interface I'd either get the focusrite 2i4 , Native Instruments USB , or get an RME interface .. Depending on budget . cheap to expensive ....

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra: 6 analogic in\out 2 digital SPDIF in\out, good preamps\converters, 2 internal delay\reverb with zero latency monitoring, channels 1\2 have inserts, 2 headphone outs...

fedexnman wrote:I used to use 2 mics one for guitar and one on voice for awhile or I'd use one mic and record both acoustic guitar and vocal with it . The one mic way worked and sounded better and also a 2 mic xy setup capturing vocal and guitar sounded OK ...but never really sounded pro sounding or good enough IMHO..... That was a long long time ago .... Now a capture a song with one mic vocal and guitar as a scratch track or rough draft... Then I figure out the tempo/BPM .. And I redo the song ,track everything separately ( overdub ) to a click or drumloop track .... I get way better results .Just thought I make this suggestion before you cash in on a new USB interface ... If I was to get a new interface I'd either get the focusrite 2i4 , Native Instruments USB , or get an RME interface .. Depending on budget . cheap to expensive ....
I'm really experimenting/learning atm with mic positions but for me I notice that the 'total musical experience' when playing both guitar + singing is far better than when recording seperately. When singing and playing there's an interaction between your fingers and voice that can't be achieved when recording them seperately, like timing, phrasing and those little accents. Btw. the focusrite 2i4 only has 2 inputs..
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

At first glance I was like "wow!" but then I read when using more than 2 inputs you have to scale down from 24 to 16 bit.

Spiritos wrote:when using more than 2 inputs you have to scale down from 24 to 16 bit.
Should not really be a problem in real life, 16bit recordings are "good enough for Rock'nRoll" ;-)
I could give a technical lecture about signal/noise ratios, mixing several tracks and how that pushes bits to be less significant, but :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I've read plenty of bad things about the Alesis iO interfaces over the years, particularly driver stability.

I'd probably favour scouring ebay for something like an Akai eie or (the usual answer) of saving up a little more money for something like a Steinberg UR44 (which is totally awesome but probably more like €200 used).

BertKoor wrote:
Spiritos wrote:when using more than 2 inputs you have to scale down from 24 to 16 bit.
Should not really be a problem in real life, 16bit recordings are "good enough for Rock'nRoll" ;-)
I could give a technical lecture about signal/noise ratios, mixing several tracks and how that pushes bits to be less significant, but :shrug:
I take your word for it. I'm still a rookie in that aspect so I can't really oversee the 'problems' with 24 vs 16 bit.
tehlord wrote:I've read plenty of bad things about the Alesis iO interfaces over the years, particularly driver stability.

I'd probably favour scouring ebay for something like an Akai eie or (the usual answer) of saving up a little more money for something like a Steinberg UR44 (which is totally awesome but probably more like €200 used).
I was looking at the Akai I/O and/or Pro as well. The bonus USB ports are welcome and I love the looks and potmeters of the design as well. Also it does fit my budget as it costs €179 euros here in the Netherlands.

There's a review of the Akai on the sonic state Youtube channel, which is one of the few you can actually trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDBMSbUr7o

Yep, the Akai seems to be the ticket (Pro version). Can't think of another interface with more than two mic inputs. Or you can get a cheapish mixer and another interface, but this is much more flexible.

Might want to check out some user reviews on the AKAI at different retailers before you jump on that.

I've heard not so great things about the Akai, but I can't quote specifics. I can tell you I've been pretty pleased with Focusrite interfaces, both the 2i2 and 18i20. The 2i4 is very similar to the 2i2, but I haven't used it. These all come with some useful software. It's my pretty clear impression that Focusrite stuff is in a different class than Alesis, Akai, M-Audio, etc.

dwozzle wrote:I've heard not so great things about the Akai, but I can't quote specifics. I can tell you I've been pretty pleased with Focusrite interfaces, both the 2i2 and 18i20. The 2i4 is very similar to the 2i2, but I haven't used it. These all come with some useful software. It's my pretty clear impression that Focusrite stuff is in a different class than Alesis, Akai, M-Audio, etc.
I know focusrite is another league but only the 18i20 has more than 2 mic inputs and is twice the price..
As a hobbyist it's a constant weighing of price vs. quality. I think the link @tehlord posted is quite honest. Only 'downside' mentioned is the headroom of the VU meters but also that it's a matter of getting used to it.

If you are willing to spend more, definitely the Steinberg UR44 rather
than the Akai, on all aspects: sound/drivers/stability.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”