Groove Agent 4 is finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Groove Agent 3

I really like the tight integration with Cubase. But I think that Halion can do almost everything Groove Agent can (loopslicing, drum-samples, midi-player, flexphraser, etc). What does Groove Agent add to what Halion can do already?

Hey Steinberg can you lose the gun metal background on GA4 pretty please?
It looks like it belongs on a website from 1997. :hihi:
Its on the inspector in Cubase 7.5 too. It used to be the entire background for the new mixer but someone had the good sense to remove it. :tu:

To be honest with all the talk of 22,000 samples I was expecting a better organised library with samples listed according to type, kicks, snares, hats etc. Instead you have to use the browser (not media bay) to go through every Groove Agent folder separately looking for that one kick, snare or whatever and then move onto the next folder. Even using the "favourites" function it would still be a massive chore. The deep folder option from Cubase media bay would go someway to making it easier to search for things at least. The media bay seems to be tuned only to search for full kits.

An instrument set listing parts according to type would be welcome or at least an extra folder in the sample browser view with all parts in sub-folders according to type. Not much to ask from the "ultimate drum studio". :wink: Oh well I can continue to use my current drum sample folders I suppose.

Speaking of the media bay, the top half is really not much use and most of the categories are completely superflous. The instrument set icons already select what type of kits you need. The attached image is how I am using the media bay at present. :hihi: Mediabay works in Halion 5 and Cubase because of the variety of material but not here. Like I said the only possible real usefulness for the media bay here would be to search for drum types but it seems the sample browser is for that as I mentioned.

Oh yeah and > Undocking! How cool would it be to have a Groove Agent GUI with the same flexibility as Halion 5? I'm surprised it didn't start out that way seeing as the design is very similar. Undocked Mixer and Pattern editors would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lotus2035 wrote:To be honest with all the talk of 22,000 samples I was expecting a better organised library with samples listed according to type, kicks, snares, hats etc.
+1. It's a mess. But the beat agent sounds are really great !

I just noticed something else, when you select "all instrument sets" in media bay the number of presets listed shows as 243. But when you select a preset with the Cubase preset box at the top of the plug-in the number of presets shows up as 396.

After a quick check it seems that the standard Groove Agent One kits aren't showing up in the mediabay. I only get 30 kits from the Allen Morgan signature set. The other 66 kits from Groove Agent One aren't showing. I haven't checked what else is missing.
Last edited by lotus2035 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As all sounds are available in 24 Bit and 16 Bit I think the actual number of unique samples/sounds is more like 11.000, but maybe I'm wrong...?

Sampleconstruct wrote:As all sounds are available in 24 Bit and 16 Bit I think the actual number of unique samples/sounds is more like 11.000, but maybe I'm wrong...?
Hah I didn't think of that you're right. :hihi:

lotus2035 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:As all sounds are available in 24 Bit and 16 Bit I think the actual number of unique samples/sounds is more like 11.000, but maybe I'm wrong...?
Hah I didn't think of that you're right. :hihi:
See, it'll only take you 3 weeks now to preview all these samples in the browser :)

lotus2035 wrote:I just noticed something else, when you select "all instrument sets" in media bay the number of presets listed shows as 243. But when you select a preset with the Cubase preset box at the top of the plug-in the number of presets shows up as 396.

After a quick check it seems that the standard Groove Agent One kits aren't showing up in the mediabay. I only get 30 kits from the Allen Morgan signature set. The other 66 kits from Groove Agent One aren't showing. I haven't checked what else is missing.

A word of warning, selecting a preset from the preset window in Cubase will replace whatever you are doing in GA4. So it seems for now there is no way to add any of the remaining presets from Groove Agent 1 to the 2nd,3rd and 4th slot in GA4. It will always go in the first slot thereby overwriting current settings.

Maybe moving the Allen Morgan presets to the main Groove Agent One folder and deleting the Allen Morgan folder itself will force GA4 to see them.

Return to “Instruments”