Big Pappa - 16-Voice Unison PWM Reaktor Ensemble

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a link to my latest Reaktor ensemble "Big Pappa", a 16-voice unison PWM instrument...

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co ... show/8067/

It might not be the most versatile instrument, but when you want big fat pulse width modulation -- that doesn't sound like crap -- Big Pappa has it where it counts. Under the hood, we have 16 unison voices spread evenly apart in the stereo field with a few added bells and whistles in the mixer macro to intensify the panoramic effect.

I've noticed that taking clever little shortcuts with brainy unison engines might help economize an instrument, but it just doesn't sound the same as a good hardware synth that specializes in that fat, detuned unison sound. So, I hooked everything up the old fashioned way. Yep, there are actually 16 pulse wave oscillators in there devouring your CPU.

There's just no way around it, folks. If you want that wicked burn, it needs to be happening in real time with real oscillators. Anything less is just uncivilized. (NOTE: I made this primarily for creating sampled instruments I could use as soundfonts or in a sampler)

This sounds great! I made a quick preset that's like guitar harmonics with
a synthsweep tailing off. Maybe it's more versatile than your description.
A real sound designer could go wild :hyper:
Thanks for sharing this!

glokraw wrote:This sounds great! I made a quick preset that's like guitar harmonics with
a synthsweep tailing off. Maybe it's more versatile than your description.
A real sound designer could go wild :hyper:
Thanks for sharing this!
Glad to hear it, Glo. I made this ensemble primarily as a go-to whenever I want to get "that sound" ala Chuck Wild's Liquid Mind. I love those huge pillowy synth string pads. I think I'm going to sample BP and try my hand at making a nice soundfont. Wish me luck.

Good luck with the Soundfont then! And thanks for sharing BP!

Return to “Instruments”