Selling IL products...how are people getting around the 'no sale' policy?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
As the title asks...how are people getting around the Image Line 'no sale' policy? Are they selling whole accounts? Seems to me to be the only way to do it? :shrug:

Yep, selling the whole account. You can change everything but the forum name afterwards.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

That's exactly what they're doing.

As I understand it, IL does not sanction that, though it is, most likely, difficult to detect. In the past, IL has indicated that they will lock you out if such activity is suspected, but I'm not aware of any case in which they have done so.

On the other side of the aisle, there are those that feel that IL's policy violates the findings in EU courts that the re-sale of software cannot be restricted. Again, I'm unaware of any attempt to have IL legally conform to this interpretation of the law.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Thanks for the replies guys. Pity...I have some I'd like to sell and some I wanna keep. Pity I can't split it up.

Sell your account and create a new one.

The company is extremely reasonable and have always been helpful. I bought my account second hand last year (I now own everything IL has) and am pleased with the help and support I have gotten from it.

Jon

That's the tradeoff for lifetime free updates. Frankly, I can't use FL on any computer w/o major hoops (which are not worth it) so I'd probably give it away for like 50 bucks if it was legal. But it's not, so I'll just hang onto my useless copy.

same as itunes app store. "if you don't like it don't buy from us" policy.

hibidy wrote:That's the tradeoff for lifetime free updates.
I feel that is just an "excuse", and not a strong one. It shouldn't matter if person X gets the free updates, or person Y after X sold the license to them. It's still only one customer at a time who benefits from the upgrades.

I appreciate the lifetime updates and probably would not sell my IL licenses even if I could (I like their stuff), but not having that option does prevent me from buying more of their plugins at the full price. I always wait for sales and haven't bought anything by IL at the regular price.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree. I'm just saying that is their attitude.

Yep, sorry, I meant that it's an excuse (or justification) on their end, not yours. :) I kind of understand where they're coming from, too. When I first dove into DAWs and other audio software, I was quite surprised that you can re-sell licenses, but since various companies permit it, I've come to expect it. It makes it easier to fork over money for the more expensive products.

I like the IL folks, and yes, even the blunt and unprofessional Gol! I've always gotten good support from them and really can't complain. But if they allowed me to sell licenses, I'd buy more of their stuff outside of sales.

lolz about gol!

Yeah I don't like how they've been on here and said if they see other IP's in your account they'll lock it, maybe it was an empty threat.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:Yeah I don't like how they've been on here and said if they see other IP's in your account they'll lock it, maybe it was an empty threat.
Does this mean they'll lock accounts for people that are travelling or move once in a while? :-o Or do they mean if they see a bunch of different IP adresses at the same time?

Mivo wrote:I feel that is just an "excuse", and not a strong one. It shouldn't matter if person X gets the free updates, or person Y after X sold the license to them. It's still only one customer at a time who benefits from the upgrades.
Maybe you prefer the Propellerhead way, where they charge you $129 every other year to stay updated :P

Just read the Image Line EULA well before investing any money with them. Those that don't agree with it, can just look for another DAW or other VST plugs, there are plenty to choose from.

I believe a DAW is for life, and I am happy that I will never pay for another upgrade :love:

RunBeerRun wrote:Yeah I don't like how they've been on here and said if they see other IP's in your account they'll lock it, maybe it was an empty threat.
When was that?

There is no limitation on how many computers you can use one license of FL Studio on, so naturally it follows that one copy of FL Studio can be tied up to many IP addresses.

I got my license of FL Studio on a couple of computers, got no threat from Image Line yet :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”