Doctor Doubledrop file hosting site problem - resolved

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edited by writing a new opening paragraph after new clean links were posted.
There were some unwanted installers from the original download site if you clicked on the wrong link. This link was removed by KVR and the new link should now be free of the adware installers. But as always, you should scan your downloads.
That's the edit.

Somewhere in this bundle of joy, there is what appears to be an adware installer called 'Somoto-BetterInstaller'. My security (McAfee) warned me about it and allowed me to remove it.

At present still downloading a few entries and not sure where it came from but thought I'd mention it.
Last edited by bob bobwood on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This adware installer is from the solidfile download page for the Doctor Doubledrop FX one shot.
There is a green 'Download' button that delivers the Somato-BetterInstaller ! So if you are going to try them it's probably best to use the underlined 'Direct download link.'

If this is 100% proven to be a true case of deception, the best thing to do would be to boycott them. Because that would make them scumbags.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

"Somoto.BetterInstaller virus is a fake and malicious program that pretends to install useful software on your computer but turns out to useless or even malicious that will help the hackers to extract money from the users. It does not matter which version of windows Operating System you are using on your system, Somoto.BetterInstaller is compatible with all versions of Windows OS. The main purpose of this program is to deliver other malicious programs by which it can generate revenue for its developers. Somoto.BetterInstaller will cause your computer to display fake system scan results that will highlight detection of dangerous infections while causing devastating effects to your computer such as blocking Task Manager, registry and folder options. This fake anti-virus scan report will also recommend that the only way to restore your system into its optimal working condition is to purchase the full version. The detections are fake and the upgrade to the full version will not work. Apart from delivering deceptive and rogue advertisements which trick system users into downloading and installing potentially unwanted programs. Somoto.BetterInstaller may download and install some other programs with malicious properties such as Somoto Toolbar, FaceSmooch, FileBulldog, or DealBulldog on your machine without asking any permission. So we recommend you to take all the necessary measures and delete Somoto.BetterInstaller scareware immediately."

Seems to be a stinky little thing. Avast did not detect it. And Adblock does not block this green button. G..gling for it reveals hundreds of sites that offer even more obscure repair tools for it.... :scared:

Why is someone using a file hoster like that??

Manual removal if you caught it:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.ph ... rInstaller
http://www.deletepcvirus.com/remove-som ... -and-safe/
ImageImage

I agree, why do you use this filehoster?
It installed software called SearchProtect behand my back on my pc yesterday.
And it changed the configuration in my internetbrowser.
Took some time to get it fixed.

So be aware and never start something like this: D&DFreeFXoneshot_downloader-I8i9gdAQZ.exe
And they advertise with: File hosting without the bullshit...yeah right.

So in the end it is only possible to download the one shots, the other links are dead
and I am not interrested anymore.

It would be possible to download by samples and not the whole lot at one time because I have no internet at my home (or with my smartphone) and download in travel. Dropbox can make it normally ?

WOK wrote:Why is someone using a file hoster like that??

Manual removal if you caught it:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.ph ... rInstaller
http://www.deletepcvirus.com/remove-som ... -and-safe/
Perhaps they don't know what it's like when they sign up for it. These file hosting sites are there to generate income and if you aren't paying for the hosting, then the income is generated from ads or other methods such as this.

I think I read somewhere that there is a limit to the size of the entries. Maybe if they could host larger files in the KVR vault (at least for the duration of the contest), this wouldn't have happened.

Like many others I use Dropbox - but only the free account and they suspend your hosting (until the end of the month ?) if you go over a certain download limit.

There are many others out there that is why I would like to know why he goes by this malicious one.
Here is 50GB for free and as far as I know, no download limit: https://mega.co.nz
And an alternative for Dropbox is copy.com, gives you 15GB free storage to share.

bob bobwood wrote:This adware installer is from the solidfile download page for the Doctor Doubledrop FX one shot.
There is a green 'Download' button that delivers the Somato-BetterInstaller ! So if you are going to try them it's probably best to use the underlined 'Direct download link.'
All I'm seeing is the big green button - where is the direct link? It says it's just downloading a rar so where is the adware part? A rar is not executable.

It tried via the backdoor without me knowing (don't know the correct term) when I clicked on the green 'Download' button on the solidfile site. Immediately below is the underlined 'Direct download link' which appears to be safe.
Last edited by bob bobwood on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob bobwood wrote:It tried via the backdoor without me knowing (don't know the correct term) when I clicked on the green 'Download' button on the solidfile site. Immediately below is the underlined 'Direct download link' which appears to be safe.
Not for me there isn't, just the big green button. But all it downloads is a rar with some wavs and text files - no executables, so I assume for us Mac users it just delivers what Dr Doubledrop originally intended - which demonstrates the culprits are the hosts, not the good Dr.

My apologies, mac doesn't ever enter my thinking on anything. And I agree that it is the hosting site that is doing this, hence the title of the thread.

Fortunately commodo immediately detected this when trying to dl, please upload to a known, good upload site.

I have the D&D free FX one shot but no more. download link in the KVRDC14 entry of doctor double drop is dead.

Can you send me a DVD ? :hihi:

I've disabled this entry and advised him to choose a better file host before re-enabling :(

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”