Ableton Live is starting to piss me off...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

hibidy wrote:Interesting. I thought they are all right where they should be.
In a way, they are, of course. But I'm just being picky, I can totally live with it.

tonkatodd wrote:I like Ableton and I'm thinking about buying the suite but the main thing that stops me which is the same with Renoise and Bitwig is editing everything down the bottom of the screen. I make music a lot out and about and shrugging down to edit the effects just drives me nuts. In Ableton 9 can you move the bottom editor part to the top of the screen?
Nope... you can't. Maybe it's just something to get used to? It never bothered me, but I can see that it's very much down to personal preference.

BDeep wrote:
hibidy wrote:Interesting. I thought they are all right where they should be.
In a way, they are, of course. But I'm just being picky, I can totally live with it.
I think instruments and effects are - I just don't like having 4 different locations for the same sort of things - packs should just get added either to the Live library (especially if they are officially Ableton packs) or the User library (maybe for third party ones) - not just jumbled together in a separate packs folder that you don't even seem to be able to organise. And the Live 8 library should have an option to merge it into the Live 9 library. So then there would be just 2 locations - factory core and user. That, and a way to tidy up the M4L tab, I could live with.

BDeep wrote:
tonkatodd wrote:I like Ableton and I'm thinking about buying the suite but the main thing that stops me which is the same with Renoise and Bitwig is editing everything down the bottom of the screen. I make music a lot out and about and shrugging down to edit the effects just drives me nuts. In Ableton 9 can you move the bottom editor part to the top of the screen?
Nope... you can't. Maybe it's just something to get used to? It never bothered me, but I can see that it's very much down to personal preference.

Ok Thanks. Even if you could undock the effects and instruments would be better for me. Not a problem with a desktop but after a few hours editing at a cafe on a laptop and I become hunched down to accommodate spending all my time down the bottom of the screen.

Well, it would defeat the purpose of buying Suite, but you could just use third party VSTs. They float on top of the rest like it's nobody's business. :D

My issues with the browser were that it was just very half-assed. They could have done so much but just did the bare minimum when it could have been so much more

1) No random browsing, everything has to be indexed. So if you just download some samples to say your desktop, you have to leave your entire desktop indexed. Now for alot of people this may not be an issue (even though I dont like it I can work around it). However for in use in the studio this is just retarded. Say some guy shows up with his drive full of samples, now he has to get at least part of that drive indexed just to use them. Now you have your index database file on this studio computer growing and growing sucking up all your hdd space. This file can get quite large. The customer also has to sit and waste time and money waiting for the indexing

2) Only one column can be seen in browser, cant see date, filesize, etc all at once

Theres alot of others, at this point though they have fixed alot of their problems. Like I said my issue is that it was completely half-assed.

They have this 'tagging' system which just relies on the names of directories that things are placed in. You want your sounds to show up in the library in that dir, then you have to just replicate the factory directory structure in the user lib. So its a 'database' yet not a database since it just relies on file location. Since they have this 'database' why not just add tagging and make it an actual usable database where things can be sorted into multiple categories etc like a true db. If its based on file location, why not just have the browser show the directory lay out and be done with it, theres no need for a database or scanning since its just looking at directory structure anyway. Its just a completely retarded implementation

They also broke symlink follows for samples. So it used to be that just like vst's where you can have a dir full of symlinks and ableton would parse them and show them as an actual layout, you could do the same with sample directories. However their indexer does not follow symlinks. So in my case I have one dir 'Drums' that has some drum sample packs, but then also a symlink over to the Geist samples directory since its a bunch of drum samples as well. That no longer works, now you have to dig into the OS and create a hardlink so that it appears as an actual directory to the indexer but can just cause confusion later and is nowhere near as portable as just using a symlink

tonkatodd wrote:
BDeep wrote:

Ok Thanks. Even if you could undock the effects and instruments would be better for me. Not a problem with a desktop but after a few hours editing at a cafe on a laptop and I become hunched down to accommodate spending all my time down the bottom of the screen.
Set your laptop up on some books... :wink:

ezelkow1 wrote:My issues with the browser were that it was just very half-assed. They could have done so much but just did the bare minimum when it could have been so much more

1) No random browsing, everything has to be indexed. So if you just download some samples to say your desktop, you have to leave your entire desktop indexed. Now for alot of people this may not be an issue (even though I dont like it I can work around it). However for in use in the studio this is just retarded. Say some guy shows up with his drive full of samples, now he has to get at least part of that drive indexed just to use them. Now you have your index database file on this studio computer growing and growing sucking up all your hdd space. This file can get quite large. The customer also has to sit and waste time and money waiting for the indexing

2) Only one column can be seen in browser, cant see date, filesize, etc all at once

Theres alot of others, at this point though they have fixed alot of their problems. Like I said my issue is that it was completely half-assed.

They have this 'tagging' system which just relies on the names of directories that things are placed in. You want your sounds to show up in the library in that dir, then you have to just replicate the factory directory structure in the user lib. So its a 'database' yet not a database since it just relies on file location. Since they have this 'database' why not just add tagging and make it an actual usable database where things can be sorted into multiple categories etc like a true db. If its based on file location, why not just have the browser show the directory lay out and be done with it, theres no need for a database or scanning since its just looking at directory structure anyway. Its just a completely retarded implementation

They also broke symlink follows for samples. So it used to be that just like vst's where you can have a dir full of symlinks and ableton would parse them and show them as an actual layout, you could do the same with sample directories. However their indexer does not follow symlinks. So in my case I have one dir 'Drums' that has some drum sample packs, but then also a symlink over to the Geist samples directory since its a bunch of drum samples as well. That no longer works, now you have to dig into the OS and create a hardlink so that it appears as an actual directory to the indexer but can just cause confusion later and is nowhere near as portable as just using a symlink
I go to ezelkow1 for my ableton live information ;) I guess one of the reasons it's not a big for me is I don't really use other samples. I work inside the box almost completely. I can see this being a problem.

pdxindy wrote:
tonkatodd wrote:
BDeep wrote:

Ha yeah, Then I would have to carry around books. I don't mind the editing strip it's just that it's down the bottom of the screen and it's the same with Renoise and Bitwig. If there was an option to have it run along the top or undock from the bottom then it would more ideal for me. I want suite because I want M4L. I could maybe get away with just Max standalone but the integration with Ableton is really good.

tonkatodd wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
tonkatodd wrote:
BDeep wrote:

Ha yeah, Then I would have to carry around books.
There are always some books at the cafe... :wink:

Seriously... You have a point, but I doubt it will change anytime soon...

I like Ableton. Sadly it has no crumpets.

@tonkatodd
you could use the second window for that
it doesn't have to be on a second screen

dave

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

dave dove wrote:@tonkatodd
you could use the second window for that
it doesn't have to be on a second screen

dave
Could, but it would be a bit weird as it would look like this, as you can't make both screens small enough to have one with only the device/clip area:
llllive.jpg
:party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

have u checked the floating window (especially the device and mixer ones) suit on http://www.erasermice.com/ ?

for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWu8HOAydJ4
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”