July Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd love to hear Kuuso's piece as well but don't hava OGG player - isn't it supposed to be downloadable as an .mp3 ?
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

VLC Player can play them - free download for just about any OS.

For ClaRago's try this: http://soundcloud.com/clauderagonnet/7- ... n/download

Re: kuuso's: .mp3 isn't mandatory, .ogg is acceptable.
No longer a moderator.

robojam wrote:VLC Player can play them - free download for just about any OS.
thx for the tip

D.H. Miltz wrote:For ClaRago's try this: http://soundcloud.com/clauderagonnet/7- ... n/download

Re: kuuso's: .mp3 isn't mandatory, .ogg is acceptable.
Got it - thx

This month's theme seems to have unleashed the prog beast in a lot of you. :scared: :)

Some quick comments (the polyrhythm's a bit arguable in some cases, but I've tried not to get hung up on it):

nineofkings - good song & pleasingly minimalist arrangement. nice clear mix. vocals are perhaps a little too separated from the rest of the mix, maybe a little delay or reverb to bed them in?

mister natural - lovely gentle pensive mood. waits for the listener to approach: a good thing, but tricky in a mad snap-judgement voting scenario. needs more time to get under my skin.

pethu - impressive development, from the rustic opening to that wonderfully imperious piano theme in the second half. the noodly synth soloing over the final section wasn't to my taste, but i have weird allergies.

laguna rising - fond of this. a warm, sentimental theme, but turned a little inwards and hesitant, slightly frayed at the edges.

holy rebuked - takes me back to warp label ambient idm stuff from the 90s. good mix and nice filter work. punchy but spacious.

hellfog - interesting dual lead sounds: the harsh lead tamed a little by the sweet, but still fairly abrasive, which makes the calm interludes very effective. the return of the intro at the end didn't add much, for me.

aaron cotton - well-produced piece of reggae-flavoured pop. the polyrhythm is de-emphasised to the point that it didn't really register, but enjoyed it regardless.

clarago - very nice. the central chirruping-robot rhythm is great. good sounds throughout. if i was meant to catch what you're singing at the end, i didn't. 'they all lived happily ever after'?

beanpole - alternating sections work well. good lyrics. the harmony vocals get a little too creative with pitch at times, but pleased to hear you letting the scottish through in the verses.

kryptonaut - a loving slice of grandiose prog. top stuff. i have a soft spot for lyrics that push grimness to the edge of humour.

miltz - yep, i like it. well structured, but keeps a loose, improvisatory feel.

david stiles - for some reason, this made me think of old disney scores, especially the lovely bit at the 2 min mark. warm, lush and emotionally direct.

forw - my easy favourite this month. really satisfying composition, imaginatively arranged. particularly love the horns, and the little solo section at 0:43. excellent stuff.

kuuso - tense and urgent. strong arrangment. love the syncopated filter-swoosh stabs. don't particularly like the the sound of the main synth lead, though. (as i said above, i have weird allergies.)

rp314 wrote:There are all sorts of reasons behind the level of participation, of course. My personal take on the rigorous truth about this contest:

1. If there are two entries, it's a competition.

2. If there are ten entries, everyone gets on the list. :party:

3. However, eleven or more entries means there's a chance that some of our transcendental works will not receive any votes. :cry: :hihi:
Feels like you've been fretting by the pool for years without diving in, rp314. Time to dive in! The more the merrier. :ud:

I've been in this contest for... what, five months now? (<cough>NEWBIE!</cough>.) And this was surely the worst by far where voting is concerned!

I think this month's theme produced just that extra bit of quirkiness from all entrants that I enjoy so much. And that made it all the harder differentiating between them. To slightly re-trace my thoughts, here are the notes I made along the way...

Nine of Kings – Guilty
First out and (possibly?) the best. Sometimes you just think you hear that bit of extra coherency and "sense of whole" that tells of a truly inspired piece. Fact or not? Impossible to tell really, so No. 1!

D H Miltz – Fizzle
A masterpiece of atmospheric simplicity, acoustic guitar perfectly balanced with the rest. (Or, the other way around, probably.)

AaronCotton – Green
Lovely Caribbean feel, fits well with the summer we're getting over here...

Kuuso – Industrious Toenails
Neo-jazzy, airy, upbeat piece -- lifting your spirits.

Kryptonaut – Lost in Space and Time
Not to impressed by the beginning, perhaps, then pure classic prog idiome seems to spring at you unexpectedly from out of nowhere – bring it on!

Forw – The Gathering
Liked the ambience and atmosphere in this one! Brings up images in my head, problem is I can't quite make out what they actually depict. Anyways, always partial to a bit of marimba...

Davidstiles – Pastoral Habañera
Lovely harmonies in the first part, don't QUITE know if all the bits in the second half ended up in the right order!...

Barnadine – A Hole in the World
Love that pump-organish sound. This could be The Nits at their most experimental, and that is high praise indeed coming from me.

Laguna Rising – Sunset Highlights
Enjoyable offbeat piece.

Mr Natural – The Movie Outside My Front Door
Very atmospheric, though I need a bit more "happening" along the way to satisfy my mood most days. Some other days, it would be tops!

Hellfog – Nothing
Darn, nothing much wrong with this one either! This voting stuff is REALLY hard this month.

Holy Rebuked – Jailbreak
Just too much electronica while listening to it in relation to the rest, perhaps? Hardly the creator's fault - nevertheless...

Beanpole – Faded glory
Most other months, this would would have ended up top ten I think. So mostly, hard luck!

ClaRago – 7 Seals 4 Horsemen
Not my cup of tea really, at least not this month – Otherwise, fine.
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Return to “Music Cafe”