Waves Gold sale $349 pros and cons?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tend to be a little suspicious of 60% off sales...to my mind, they cheapen the entire idea of software as a marketable commodity (does Toyota have flash sales of Camrys at 60% off?). that being said, I do like the plugs, though to be honest, I will probably just use the reverb and compressors. Any thoughts on this? What else should I be looking at in the $350 range?

Aha!

I came across this. It sounds like I have to pay a subscription rate and the $349 will run me for a limited time. Realistically, how long can I use this bundle on my Windows 8 machine before they stop working for one reason or another?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product- ... -plan.html

You don't have to update your WUP every year. If your version is working fine no reason to renew until you need to.

Thanks. If I change computers after the update of record do I have to pay them? I am pretty good at getting around these kinds of things, but it seems like the word on the street is that their business model is slowly migrating towards a subscription-based purchasing plan and they are not interested in letting me own them outright (like I said in an earlier post, these aren't Toyotas).

Realistically, how long will I be able to use this software before I have to cough up a few hundred again?

Purchase of a product gives you WUP coverage for a year, after which the optional WUP fee pays for support, updates, and the occasional addition to the bundle (the Vitamin plug was recently added), but the plugs don't expire or anything. Also, you can't transfer the license to someone else unless your WUP is current. But you can always move licenses to a new computer pretty easily using their cloud system or a USB drive.

As for the price, this is how Waves does things. They regularly put their stuff on sale at deep discounts ... half-off or more. The Gold bundle is a good value right now IMHO. Look at resellers like JRRshop, Audio Deluxe, and Plugin Discounts for the best deals.

There are a lot of good solid tools in the Gold pack. I suspect you'll find more than just the EQs and compressors (which are excellent) very useful. But hurry, the current sale ends tomorrow ... you'll probably have to wait some weeks or months before it's priced this low again.

Edit: in response to your concern about having to pay them again, I wouldn't worry about that. Worst case, you upgrade your OS sometime in the future and your plugs aren't compatible. That's when you can just re-WUP the bundle and get updates, but the WUP fee will be much less than the bundle price. Good luck!

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Return to “Effects”