Need to Remove Backing Pad from Behind Guitar Part

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a guitar part I recorded some years ago that has a keyboard pad (chords) as accompaniment.

Can Melodyne or another software isolate the pad for removal?

I want to remove it for several bars and leave it in at other locations.

Thanks for any advice.

You might be better off re-recording the guitar part as you'll probably struggle to remove the keyboard part entirely and without affecting the sound of the guitar part.

robojam wrote:You might be better off re-recording the guitar part as you'll probably struggle to remove the keyboard part entirely and without affecting the sound of the guitar part.
Thanks, I still want to see what I can do from a software stand-point to see/hear what's possible if anyone has some suggestions from experience doing it.

Melodyne is mainly to adjust pitch. You can somewhat do what you are wanting with it but I think it will end up being a frustrating process for you and you won't be able to completely remove a specific sound to the nth degree without messing up the rest of the sound file.

Before going the route of paying for something why not try something like Audacity?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Never used it so can't say what it will do but maybe worth a try :shrug:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Izotope RX3 is probably closest to what you want. It appears to be powered by witchcraft.

:lol:

How appropriate :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

thanks guys
I have audacity which works great for old tapes (reel to reel).
I don't think it will do what I want for removal of select part, but I can see if I missed something.

I'm downloading 10 day trial of RX3 Advanced. thanks for tip

I think robojam has the best solution MG.

Any frequency you remove from the file will also remove the same frequencies from all other instruments in the file.

Hate to say it but me thinks you are SOL :shrug: But me thinks you already know this ;)

Good luck! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Yeah. The Melodyne thing, splitting up and editing notes, only really works with distinct note pitches, like piano or guitar chords where every note is a distinct musical pitch. Otoh, if you have two different instruments playing the same or similar pitches at various times, it doesn't work so well for obvious reasons.

If the pad is in a completely different octave, like a low pad and higher pitched guitar playing at the same time with little or no pitched overlap, it actually might work. If there is lots of musical overlap, probably not.

I may try that later with a low pad and a higher guitar just to see what happens.

dsan@mail.com wrote:I think robojam has the best solution MG.

Any frequency you remove from the file will also remove the same frequencies from all other instruments in the file.

Hate to say it but me thinks you are SOL :shrug: But me thinks you already know this ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
I'd also just re-record the guitar...

pdxindy wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:I think robojam has the best solution MG.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
I'd also just re-record the guitar...
been there, re-record the part...I know the feeling, I'll never do that again...you will or you will do better :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You could try something like Cool Edit's noise reduction, where you highlight a part of the sound you want to remove, then highlight the area you want to remove it from. Chances are, though, what's left over will sound like a low-bitrate mp3 - full of holes. And there'll be a residue of the removed part left over.

Try and style it out as a glitch? Nah, didn't think so... :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:You could try something like Cool Edit's noise reduction, where you highlight a part of the sound you want to remove, then highlight the area you want to remove it from. Chances are, though, what's left over will sound like a low-bitrate mp3 - full of holes. And there'll be a residue of the removed part left over.

Try and style it out as a glitch? Nah, didn't think so... :hihi:
that's the problem, too many artifacts....what happens is you like the guitar with the pad (or whatever) but you want the pad gone but when you get rid of the pad you wont like what it does to the guitar tone...I used "you" there a lot so let me just say that has been my experience, the best I have been able to do with such things is simply not good enough and the guitar becomes too degraded. I say if you played it once you can do it again or like I said even better.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thanks all for suggestions. I'll try to post back if I get a good solution.

My guitar chops aren't as good as when I was playing more frequently, but I need to start playing more regularly again anyway.
Thing is, I wouldn't want to change much in the guitar performance at all except for maybe one bad note.

The pad isn't bad. It also has a bass part which I'd like to tweak. I could do new parts altogether for some of it and then the pad portion won't sound like it's there all the time.

I need to check on how much detail I can get to in Melodyne. Maybe RX3 trial will shed some light on it.

Hink wrote:
that's the problem, too many artifacts....what happens is you like the guitar with the pad (or whatever) but you want the pad gone but when you get rid of the pad you wont like what it does to the guitar tone...I used "you" there a lot so let me just say that has been my experience, the best I have been able to do with such things is simply not good enough and the guitar becomes too degraded. I say if you played it once you can do it again or like I said even better.
That is my experience too... the effort to remove something degrades what is kept to the point that it is not useful... well, maybe in a few specific circumstances... for example if the guitar part was going to be quietly in the background anyway so some oddness would be acceptable.

If my guitar playing were rusty, I would spend my time practicing and playing a number of takes and comping them.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”