new dx/dxi/mfx wrappers

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the problem with dxshell 64Bit. It does not show up in Cubase 6.5 64 Bit.
The dxishell.x64 and mfxshell.x64 shows up in Cubase but not the fx Version.

Reinhard

I still use some hosts that can't handle Waves' WaveShell plugin encapsulation so I still use shell2vst to create individual dll's. However I always had to spend time re-organizing the plugins into appropriate folders. I decided to automate the process and used the folder organization that shows up in Nuendo (and probably Cubase too).

After I create the dll's, I cut and paste the new Waves folder to a new VST plugin folder so they don't both appear in hosts that can handle both. This way I point the host I want to the Waves "dll" specific VST folder. Then I created a couple of batch files, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, that create the folders and then move each dll to the appropriate folder.

This makes it fast: when a new waves revision comes out, I erase this Waves folder, create the new ones, paste them over and run the batch file. The only thing to change is to add any new plugins and paths if your bundle added new plugins. The batch file currently works for everything Waves currently makes as of April 30th 2013; so it'll work with whatever Waves bundles you have (it'll just ignore what it can't find, though it will create the folders). Note that the paths are absolute (ie: "c:\VSTPlugins-32...). You'll have to replace the paths to those that are appropriate to you.

You can pick them up here (click on "Click here to start download from sendspace"). Let me know if there's a problem with the link. The file won't be up indefinitely.

Oh: and use at your own risk! I can't be responsible for any mayhem that may be caused by your use or misuse of this batch file!

Hope someone will find this useful...

I don't know why mfxwrapper doesn't want to work with EW Wordbuilder MFX in Reaper. This is an old thread on Reaper forums, where another person had it running perfectly on W7 x64 with Reaper 32-bit and 64-bit. I was on XP at the time, but now I have W7 x64 as well, and it still doesn't bloody work.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48699

Any help, please? :)

I'm not sure how it even works. Should I double-click mfxshell to add it as an effect, then it would load the MFX, or? Because that's not how it works here... I get this:

Anyone?

The way I used dx wrapppers, in Traktion among others, is like you say - the wrapper is itself loaded as an effect and then you load whatever else into this wrapper.

Overall I wonder why it is needed unless you use Sonar which does not support VST midi FX well.

Are there any MFX functionality that does not exist in a VST midi fx?

Reaper support midi VST fx and also has JS plugins which you with a little effort can make you own plugins with.

Reaper might support MIDI VST effects, but it doesn't load EastWest's VST-MA WordBuilder plugin. This is all about WordBuilder - and I'll be damned if I have to code it in JS, LOL.

no. it's a long time aga since i tried this, but in my case it worked like this, iirc:
i dragged the mfx/dx/dxi shell onto shell2vst. this created a folder on the level where the shell2vst batchfile resides. into that folder shell2vst creates the vst wrapped dlls. i just dragged this folder into my vst folder, and that was it. but you don't necessarily have to do this, if you have a host where you can store paths for vst folders in general. then you just add the path of this folder into your host, then this is is it... i hope i don't talk out my arse here, it's a looong time ago i did this.... hope this helps...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

That doesn't work for Wordbuilder, as it's not a shell plugin.

ED: I have no idea about Wordbuilder, but if it's just a MIDI effect, perhaps you could run it in some other host and forward its MIDI output to REAPER using a virtual MIDI cable/port?

I really want to have it within Reaper, everything else is just a complication, particularly when you run several Wordbuilders at once... Believe me, I tried. It ends up being really messy.

What's really weird that another Reaper user (see the thread I linked) has it working without fail. And now I'm running the same config as he did back then (W7 x64, Reaper x64), so why this doesn't work is beyond me.

Hi all,

My DAW is Sonar 8.5.1 64 bits.
Earlier, I created some projects with Sonar 8.5.1 32 bits. I want to "migrate" those projects in 64 bits version. But some dx plugins are not recognized. Those plugins have the .ax extension.
Is this extension supported by Dxshell?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Paul

I am trying to get Dreamstation DXi to work in Brainspawn Forte 64bit or Sonar X3 64bit.

I am very experienced, and I have followed the readme.txt instructions for dxishell, very slowly and carefully but something in the instructions must must be missing or presumed, because I am not getting my DXi to show up in Forte or Sonar.

For example, I am not sure whether to copy the dxishell.x64.dll or the dxishell.dll into my vst folder. I have tried both.

How is it supposed to work? Does the DXi show up as a VST in the host? Or does "wrapper" app show up in the list of insertable VSTs?

Can a successful user please venture a guess on why an experienced person would be left baffled?

dougalex wrote:I am trying to get Dreamstation DXi to work in Brainspawn Forte 64bit or Sonar X3 64bit.

For example, I am not sure whether to copy the dxishell.x64.dll or the dxishell.dll into my vst folder. I have tried both.
My guess is that no 32->64 bit wrapping is supported. That kind of bridging is usually a feature by itself aprt from DX->VST wrapping.

Try doing that part in 32-bit version of daw and possibly move a rendered/frozen audio track from that to 64-bit project. Might be a workaround at least.

dougalex wrote:I am trying to get Dreamstation DXi to work in Brainspawn Forte 64bit or Sonar X3 64bit.

I am very experienced, and I have followed the readme.txt instructions for dxishell, very slowly and carefully but something in the instructions must must be missing or presumed, because I am not getting my DXi to show up in Forte or Sonar.

How is it supposed to work? Does the DXi show up as a VST in the host? Or does "wrapper" app show up in the list of insertable VSTs?

Can a successful user please venture a guess on why an experienced person would be left baffled?
Unzip the xlutop package.
Inside, there should also be a shell2vst.zip file; unzip it to the same folder.
Drop dxishell.dxi on shell2vst.exe.
You should then see a command line window tell you the plugins its created.
It'll create them inside a folder called DXi. Open the folder, find the one that corresponds to Dreamstation, and drag it to your normal VST folder.

BTW Sonar has a built in bitbridge, so it should already handle any 32bit VST in the 64bit version, but I dont think Forte does, so you'll need jbridge there.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I know this is an older thread, but in 2019, I am trying to get some old Sonitus "DX" plugs to work. It's more of an experiment now because Sonitus:FX compressor does not play well in its 64-bit wrapped version at 96kHz. It sounds like the plugin is down-sampling the audio. Funny because all of the other Sonitus plugs work fine. In fact, the original DX/32b version of Compressor works fine at 96kHz inside Cakewalk Sonar, so...IDK?! Therefore, I am experimenting to see if the Compressor wrapped at 32-bit but bridged with JBridge to 64-bit performs any better.

The problem is with the Frank Potulski wrapper. If I drag dxshell.dll onto shell2vst.exe, then the program automatically finds available plugins and wraps them. But I have no idea how its finding them, nor can I seem to change it. The 64b wrapper finds the Sonitus plugs to wrap, but the 32b version does not.

Manually typing a directory in the shell2vst.exe's command line does absolutely nothing. Putting the dxshell.dll and shell2vst.exe files into the same folder as the DX plugs to be wrapped does nothing either; behavior does not change.

How do I go about forcing shell2vst.exe to find the plugins I want?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”