UVI.net releases Vintage Vault and...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vintage Vault

I went for the deal. I have been very happy with the UVI products that I already have. Great sound, great interfaces. Now I just have to decide which parts to download and try first!

hi all, i'm thinking about a purchase of vintage vault and i wonder if you have to register each instrument package individually or if this is one registration for the complete vintage vault library. and just to be completely on the safe side: for vintage vault and also for sparkverb no i-lok key is required, correct?
thanks in advance

Gosh wrote:hi all, i'm thinking about a purchase of vintage vault and i wonder if you have to register each instrument package individually or if this is one registration for the complete vintage vault library. and just to be completely on the safe side: for vintage vault and also for sparkverb no i-lok key is required, correct?
thanks in advance
One registeration only. And no you don't need an iLok key. Computer authorization is possible.

Vertti wrote:
Gosh wrote:hi all, i'm thinking about a purchase of vintage vault and i wonder if you have to register each instrument package individually or if this is one registration for the complete vintage vault library. and just to be completely on the safe side: for vintage vault and also for sparkverb no i-lok key is required, correct?
thanks in advance
One registeration only. And no you don't need an iLok key. Computer authorization is possible.
thanks for your help Vertti :)

otristan wrote:
beely wrote: How does the decompression work - are the samples uncompressed into ram when loaded (if so, I guess load times are not affected too much as there is less disk access (which is slow) but with an extra uncompression stage), or are they loaded into ram compressed and uncompressed on the fly during playback?

I guess this is to get a handle on what performance trade-offs there may be using this approach.

I guess this stuff is in the manuals, I should go and look really...
This is not in the manual as this is an implementation detail.
To sum up, samples are decompressed on the fly as UVIWorkstation stream data from the HD.
Loading is faster as well as indeed there is less data to read from the HD which is usually the bottleneck.

Hope this answers your questions.
If samples are decompressed on the fly, does this mean that I shouldn't store the samples on an external hard drive? Will there be any performance issues if I store them externally, or do I just have to wait a little longer before a patch fully loads?

bharris22 wrote: If samples are decompressed on the fly, does this mean that I shouldn't store the samples on an external hard drive? Will there be any performance issues if I store them externally, or do I just have to wait a little longer before a patch fully loads?
There is no rules of thumb regarding this.
But my answer is usually, as long as it works fine for you, don't change anything.
UVI soundbanks works very fine on a 5400 RPM internal HD or USB2 connected one unless you plan to stream more than 200 stereo voices.
In case of Vintage vault products, you will probably be limited by your CPU before this so don't worry :)

More generally, a faster hard drive will lead to smaller loading time and the possibility to stream more samples from the HD.
Usually faster hard drive like SSD don't have a good price/size ratio, so it's up to your budget.

With the move to FLAC format we have been able to reduce the soundbank size, in some case, with a ratio of 7, so using an SSD to store your soundbank is not unreasonable anymore IMHO.
Moreover there is less data to stream, so technically your hard drive do not need to be as fast as it should have been for uncompressed samples.
So it's a win, win :)

Hope this clarify things a bit.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Perfect - thanks!

It would be nice to see this come pre-installed on a external SSD.

I checked out prices and seems that external SSD drives are coming down in price.

http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-trade-120 ... 16&sr=1-16
:borg:

Just pulled the trigger - $250, what a bargain!

New libraries. Will they be added to Vintage Vault? If yes they should be free for VV users am I right?

Hopefully next in line: Chamberlin, Casio CZ-series, EMS synths, Ensoniq Mirage or Fizmo, Kawai stuff, Kurzweil stuff, rare Oberheims, Optigan, Roland JD-800 etc. Just some suggestions. :P
Last edited by Vertti on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bharris22 wrote:Just pulled the trigger - $250, what a bargain!
On Vintage Vault? Where? how?
:borg:

If you own other UVI libraries, there is a discounted price for VV when you log in to your UVI account. Prior to this purchase I owned Mello (which I got for free by liking them on Facebook), String Machines, Vintage Legends and Digital Synsations (which I got for free when I purchased a Korg MicroKey controller). This was apparently enough to get a 50% discount on VV.

I'm pulling the trigger as well because I got the discount, too. Just hoping there's no audio difference between the full file sizes and the compressed versions. I have a few of them already and will A/B what I can and report back, if anyone's interested.

On that note, does anybody know the official UVI reselling/transfer policies? I'll end up with both the original version and VV version of a few of these titles and would like to be able to sell off my original duplicates (assuming they do sound identical).

Thanks!

FLAC is lossless compression so there shouldn't be any degradation in audio quality.

Not that it shouldn't, there ISN'T.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”