Korg Legacy Collection - still killing it 10 years later

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

Whats an even better deal was the summer sale that took another 30% off the upgrade so if you had m1le you could upgrade to the whole package for 70$ :)

Looks like they are doing them twice a year now since there was one that ended only 2 weeks ago and one that ended back in january

ezelkow1 wrote:Whats an even better deal was the summer sale that took another 30% off the upgrade so if you had m1le you could upgrade to the whole package for 70$ :)

Looks like they are doing them twice a year now since there was one that ended only 2 weeks ago and one that ended back in january
Yeah - last summer, there was a thread about the Legacy Collection http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=383391 deals. At the time, you could pick up a controller + the entire collection for $140. Was one of the best GAS purchases I have made in years.

Anyway - if you're a Logic User .. A bonus for Logic Pro 9 / X users -- the Korg Legacy Collection has been indexed into Logic's aupreset format for Logic's Library. I.E. the hundreds of patches show up in Logic's browser indexed as if they are factory sounds. The aupresets are available in this thread: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=15267

I really like Polysix and MonoPoly. They may not match the originals, but they each have a certain sound I've come to like. A bit Plain Jane, but that's what they're good for. Polysix has such a charming simplicity to it, and a smooth filter. Got a bit of a vintage VST sound to it. It may sound like a 10-year-old VST, but it's the best of 10 years ago. That, I can make time for. And I can load dozens of them without killing my CPU :). I have to admit, I'm a sucker for the deep blue GUIs, as well :)

MS-20 has been completely superceded by Diva. You don't get the patch bay, but you do get a super-easy modulation system that's very flexible, plus two full ADSR envelopes. And when you add the modulation modifiers, you can get some really unexpected and experimental sounds worthy of the Radiophonic Workshop. The Wavestation is good for classic patches, but Zebra 2 leaves it in the dust for wavescanning and wave sequencing and digital-type oscillator tricks. M1 is pure nostalgia, and not a lot else, really. Nice to have, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I also still use them, although my favorite is M1, and sometimes MS20. I wish they come up with updates for a bigger GUI
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Sendy wrote:M1 is pure nostalgia, and not a lot else, really. Nice to have, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
There's always that piano for anyone making throwback techno or Italo house.

M1 is definitely only for "known and overused" sampler sounds. But there are times these sounds just nail it perfectly.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Uncle E wrote:
Sendy wrote:M1 is pure nostalgia, and not a lot else, really. Nice to have, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
There's always that piano for anyone making throwback techno or Italo house.

Yes, I'll admit that I still use that from time to time just for fun. I like the M1 organ as well. But I don't need a plugin for that, they are both pretty easy sounds to replicate.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&start=15
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

I would not say Korg Legacy is "killing it" but it is still a solid set of plugins even today.

I personally haven't used any of the analog ones as I do not like them much. Not because I think they are bad analog emulations or anything but because I have never been taken in by the analog craze. I just have always liked digital synths much more.

Wavestation obviously is my favorite of the bunch. I recon Wavestation is much like DX7 in that most of the people never bothered to learn how to program it. But when you do, it is endless supply of gratification. It's just so versatile synth for what it does. Also it is still unique and without the competition even today.

M1 is also nice one. It's can be really good if you go beyond the presets and tweak it a little. It can always offer an additional layer of easily fit sounds in a mix. Or you can run it through some crazy processing and nobody will think it is cheesy or anything like that.
No signature here!

Never owned the hw, but I like the sounds I can get from KLC. Made a track for that One Synth Challenge that you could choose your synth. I chose PolySix instead of Massive or Dune.

Wish Korg will update them with better GUIs, especially the MS (I HATE that scrolling interface, it's the worst thing ever) and MDE-X (too small). But sadly I doubt it will happen.

zerocrossing wrote:
Chopper wrote: my point is that korg could do the same, considering their background; not trying to emulate a classic, but going towards creating the best synth they can, period.
of course, as for every other synth, ''best'' is very subjective...
Sure, but what you're not taking into account is money. Like my friend Cindy says, "it changes everything." I don't think Korg makes anything as a "labor of love." They're a company looking to make money. When they Released the MS20 Mini and the kit, they were looking at the market that DSI and Doepher created and they thought, "Oh, let's test the waters with a Monotron." When that did well, they jumped in. Not because they wanted to make us think they were a cool company, but they honestly saw money to be made.

So, perhaps the Legacy Collection didn't do that well for them. Or, not the kind of profit they're used to from hardware sales. What ever reason, we can be sure if they thought it was worth the effort we'd be on version 10 by now. They probably let those developers go, or moved them to other teams. It's not like they forgot how to code a MS20 filter. The one on the KingKORG is quite good... well I'm basing that on just liking it, I have no direct experience with an MS20.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I think it would be silly to just update the KLC synths. Like many said, there are already many plug ins that do a good job at vintage emulation and the only thing Korg could bring to the table at this point is their name. What they could do is create a new plug in that includes updated emulations and combine them into a kick ass synth. Then they'd have something new, along with being able to say, "with our vintage emulation tech" and the Korg name. I bet that would be pretty successful.
oh, but i do take the money factor into consideration... funnily, we actually agree, but maybe express the whole thing differently... ;)
one thing i strongly dissagree with tho, is the whole '' korg did the monotron to test the market for the ms20mini''... I've heard that countless amount of times...
talking about money again, they are both in a completely different price range/market... we could say that they were testing the technology, as in the newer factory benches dedicated to analogue (which Roland do not currently have much of, and that might be a reason why they do not realease any analogue gear for quite some times, but that is another debate entirely...), but the target itself is different. i would agree that it was a good way to test the waters for the volcas.. hell, there is so much more in common as far as components is concerned, plus we are still in the ''very affordable'' price range, but the MS20mini/kit were definitely not a result of the ''monotron-involved'' market research. DSI's and other's success was Korg's motivation , that is for sure...
a friend of mine working for an online retailer told me a few weeks back that they sell more than 25 times more volcas than ms20minis. even with the price difference, we still see where korg's main income is...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

I think these plug-ins definitely need some further development since their GUI's kill my workflow. Too small (all) and too cumbersome (M1 and WS).

I picked up the Legacy MS-20 in the most recent sale. I'd been hoping to use it as an ITB MS-2000 (which was itself intended as a polyphonic VA MS-20, far as I can tell) and a virtual Monotron. If Diva fit my budget, I'd've of course preferred that, but at $179 its not happening soon. For $35 though, the MS-20 provides amazing bang for the buck.

I love that I can crank the polyphony AND unison way up & play at full quality on my aging i5 laptop. While huge string pads and supersaws aren't classic MS-20 fodder by any means, this synth is amazing for them anyway. It's everything I loved about the MS-2000 times eight. It's not a proper superset of the Monotron, as the LFO doesn't seem to go into audio range, but with 2 OSCs and the patch bay, I'm sure I'll have all my fave monotron sounds coming out of it soon.

Its other strong appeal is its utility for recreating classic analog patches, given that owning any more analog hardware is out of the question for me, at least in the foreseeable future.

The scrolling UI definitely sucks, but so far that's my only real gripe.

The KLC were my first really "pro" synth plugs and I still like them once in a while, especially the polysix. Nice and easy pads and the ensemble effect is still cool,I kinda dig the cheesy sound...
I still have the MS20 controller though I don't really use it much any more. I paid 199€ for the whole package on sale which seems expensive today but much cheaper than the 600€ or so it cost before...
Only thing I long for is parameter smoothing...

Tempting to get this lib for just 6 bucks at intro:
M10 I, part of the Carbon series of Kontakt 5 formatted vintage synthesizer instruments features 741MB of 24-bit samples from the Korg MS-10 analog mono-synth organized into 31 NKI based presets.
But for those already owning the Legacy Collection, is a sample lib of "little brother" MS-10 really needed?

https://www.particlesound.com/product/m10-i/

Would be really cool if the whole MS-20 GUI could be on the screen at the same time, it's not optimal to have to scroll left and right.

Return to “Instruments”