Ableton Live is starting to piss me off...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

elxsound wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:How do you make a default template for Live?
Create everything you want as a default set. Then>Preferences>File/Folder Tab, on top it says 'Save current set as default'. Hit 'Save', done. Have Fun!
Don't forget you can also set the defaults for individual audio tracks and individual midi tracks. Currently I just keep a deactivated EQ8 on my default audio tracks.
Thanks, totally forgot about that!

First time I've heard of the options.txt

Can you set up key short cuts in it?

Ableton live pisses me off lots too, but i usually forgive it because of the stuff i can do with it.
:borg:

Yeah me too. It takes forever to open a project, it takes forever to shut down. But I tolerate it because it does a lot of things really well. Including allowing me to clean up my sloppy playing with minimal fuss in the midi editor, since I don't have time to practice as much as I used to. Mwa ha ha world domination and so on. Ableton... ...transhumanism holy shit I'm a machine now! WTF?

keyman_sam wrote:I recently bought it. I love the onboard sounds and I'm starting to arrange in it, however these gripes are getting in their way:

1). Grid keeps changing for every clip. For some clips its 1/4 for some its 1/8 and for some its 1/16. Yes I've tried turning on 'Fixed Grid' and turning off adaptive grid. It doesn't work.

2). There's no area in the arrangement view other than the tracks, where I can click to set the play cursor. If I select a clip, it insists on playing from the beginning of the clip (in the arrangement view) rather than wherever i position my mouse. F****king annoying to say the least.

3). Converting giga sounds to ableton sounds doesn't work - it boosts the volume of all sounds by some phenomenal 24dB almost ripping apart my speakers in that process, and with no warning whatsoever.
Also there's no internal 'output limiter' that will save you incase there's an explosion of sound like this. You're on your own.

4). Still can't find a shortcut to 'arm' - no mapping will ask me to arm specific tracks. I want just a bloody shortcut to arm selected track, that's all.

5). Browser is excellent with good keyboard support, but for God's sake could they make the preview display any smaller? It would be so nice to resize that damn thing but nope, not allowed.

Geez...just when you've found the perfect fluid DAW, it starts to show its ugly side. :roll:

These are my gripes -
No variable swing quantize
No draw in sustain pedal automation
Recorded audio records latency. As in, when you play back the audio just recorded, it's late and needs to manually be dragged into the proper time.
Not even basic scoring.
No virtual tracks for vocal comping.

They're my gripes. But they're not deal breakers. I just use Ableton for what it's good at doing!

:-)

aMUSEd wrote:The main thing I find annoying is the browser, it makes it very hard to organise stuff so all my presets, racks, max patches etc are together instead of in half a dozen different locations.
Not sure where is your problem? I can add my own folders where i keep my own stuff categorized as i want?

I'm really confused about the browser issues people have. I find it organized and delightful :shrug:

yeah organised and delightful, what the farkin problem?

:shrug:

People complain about the browser ALL THE TIME in live. I'm not being snarky, I'd like to know why people are upset with it. It seems to do what I want it to do. Please, enlighten me so I can be pissed about something else :hihi:

I think it goes back to the beta 9 program where the browser search function was indexing everything and sslowed down the show.

At first I didn't like it, it took too much screen space till I realized you could shrink it to live 8 size.

The browser rocks

Anyone complaining should use cubase or reaper for a few weeks, or samplitude or sonar.

Then crawl back

aMUSEd wrote:The main thing I find annoying is the browser, it makes it very hard to organise stuff so all my presets, racks, max patches etc are together instead of in half a dozen different locations.
You can say that again. The new browser in v9 made things worse :(

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

hibidy wrote::shrug:

People complain about the browser ALL THE TIME in live. I'm not being snarky, I'd like to know why people are upset with it. It seems to do what I want it to do. Please, enlighten me so I can be pissed about something else :hihi:
I just find myself browsing through folders all the effing time.

For example. If you search for Nexus - one could imagine that you would get all devices with the words Nexus in them? No. You get the folders where they are located. How stupid is that? I doubt Google (the search engine) would be so popular if it made everybody click a couple of extra times just to reach what they were searching for.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

hibidy wrote::shrug:

I don't complain about the browser, but I'm not that fond of it either. My main gripe with it is that you can't organise it to your liking. I'd like all instruments and effects (be it M4L, AU, VST or Live's) in one place for example (divided maybe by a directory tree, but still in one browser tab).
But it most certainly isn't bad (IMHO), it just forces a specific way of working upon you.

Interesting. I thought they are all right where they should be.

I like Ableton and I'm thinking about buying the suite but the main thing that stops me which is the same with Renoise and Bitwig is editing everything down the bottom of the screen. I make music a lot out and about and shrugging down to edit the effects just drives me nuts. In Ableton 9 can you move the bottom editor part to the top of the screen?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”