How do I record logic's own output?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This may be a silly question as I'm not a logic user. I'd like to record the input coming to logic as well as logic's own output. Say I'm noodling around logic with the loops, singing, etc. I'd like all of that to be captured, without much fuss.

The setup is as follows - Instruments -> Mixer -> Logic -> Mixer -> Speakers.

Basically we're trying to use Logic as an instrument as well as a tape recorder.

Is there a way to make this work? I don't know if Logic has something like Reaper 'Record stereo output' which can be used to record everything you hear in Reaper (without hitting the record button).

You need to send the track(s) you want to record to an Aux Bus, and then record the output of that bus to an Audio Track. It's helpful to check pre-fader levels when doing this to save some head-scratching.

I'm not sure why this isn't a 1-click feature in every DAW...for anyone who's ever done analog recording or played "real instruments" it's a no-brainer. I like the ease of doing this in Reaper and AudioMulch, and am glad that Tracktion finally added it (I believe Reason can now, too).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”