Satson vs Britson vs ReelBus vs Redline Preamp Demo Comparison

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Britson Redline Preamp Satson TB ReelBus v3 Virtual Console Collection (VCC) Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

itneveris wrote:Reel bus is cool, but I couldnt help but feeling that it was just too much, like a caricature of a tape recording.
I kind of agree with you there. It's not my top tape sim of choice but I do feel it has its place among the ranks of useful plugins in certain situations.

See, that is where I suck at this stuff. I'm definitely a louder/more pronounced/sounds better guy and it's one of the reason I always have gas. I think too my ears are just not good anymore and where it used to be that I got the best out of it, it's mostly just mush.

I use britson/satson combos on a ton of stuff because it cleans stuff up w/o anything weird. It's not a prominent, but I guess for my paltry offerings seems to be the best route to me.

Yeah, I went thru periods of over saturating, over compressing, and over HPFing everything(elec guitars used to lose everything below 4-6 hundred), and I'm only recently being a little lighter handed.

I ALSO went thru the whole, "Why would I ever use a digital EQ? IT DOESNT IMPART THE WARMTH, HERP DERP" Consequently because of this I DO have nice EQs and compressors, but I'm trying to stop myself there and be happy with what I have. I have HoRNeT's compressor that I use for almost everything, and I should be(well, I am) happy with it. It's not only good enough, it friggin great, so why do I need a UAD 1176 or the CLA plugins? Well, they DO cost more, so they must be better :dog:

but then I watch Joe Gilders tutorials, and he gets better results than me, in half the time, with stock plugins! Because these damn things dont matter! I shouldnt even be falling for the money trick, because I use Reaper, and KNOW it's as/more capable than PTools. Not starting a DAW war, but you know what I'm getting at. It's cheap, and it WORKS. There's NOTHING wrong with it, no degraded quality, no limitations, and no other DAW 'sounds' better, and I'm totally happy with it. But man, those 120$ plugs sure look sexy :dog:

I also have the feeling of, "Well I paid for this one so why would I use SlickEQ? I know it's good, BUT I PAID MONEY FOR THIS ONE!" But I suppose that's to be expected.

I totally LOVE new and exciting things. I'm one of those "a/b to death" guys but how is that making music? :x Should have been a product quality tester :hihi:

Also, I'm suspicious of anything that changes the audio TOO much. Normal saturation wont do what ReelBus and Slate products do, there's some EQ curves going on there, and I dont know that I necessarily like it.

That's why I like Britson and RoundTone. They both do something interesting, and affect the tone, but in a believable way. They also affect punch(Dear GOD put RoundTone on your drums :hyper: ), and dynamics.

Like I said, I also really liked the Redline preamp, but maybe I have a a predisposition for it because I enjoy the Redline Monitor so much, but I know I dont need the damn thing. 'Specially not now I'm unemployed.

But, I put myself on a mission to do 50 mixes this year, starting Jun 1. Since then to today, I've done 20 mixes, so I'm WAY ahead of schedule, so I'll probably do over 100 mixes this year to get my chops up, and I'm trying to not get any new plugins in this time. So far, I havent run into a SINGLE(not one single goddamn instance) situation where I needed something I didnt have.

[double post]
Last edited by itneveris on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hibidy wrote:I totally LOVE new and exciting things. I'm one of those "a/b to death" guys but how is that making music? :x Should have been a product quality tester :hihi:
Haha, I almost never do A/B now, unless my first choice isnt cutting it. I'm getting very fast, minimal, and efficient in my mixing. Thats why I like having 1 main goto compressor. if the FET model doesnt work, it's likely the Opto model will. If not that, then the VCA model will likely do it.

This guy here is now a proud new owner of Britson :hihi: !!!!

itneveris, I totally agree with you in that I prefer something that sounds more natural. Like the it's not some cheap paint glossed over the sound source but rather wraps itself around the sound source nicely. I think Britson does this in a believable way. It makes the sound less "flat" and more "exciting" without altering the sound source too much. There is a low end enhancement from this plugin but I found it to be rather pleasing.

Exciters are awesome! Another way of getting more perceived volume without squashing the dynamics with a compressor. Makes everything sound more alive. Love it!

Cool!

Just found this (by googling "sonimus britson review"):
http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/11 ... -aliasing/

Aliasing? Bad thing?
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

Doesnt matter, cant hear it.

That's all that matters.

hibidy wrote:Well, what I read about nebula is it's the bomb, but it's too much of a resource hog even on powerful computers. I've never tried it because with all the complaining, it just seemed like I'd probably get my hopes up for kick ass sound and then be pissed about all the problems.

the is a free version called "nebula free" has alot of good stuff except at pitch-bend effects like Chorus,flanging and Vibrato.

you should hear the Phasers, the best phasers i've ever heard in a plugin.

with the commercial version, If u wanted, u could even clone a Slate-plugin's preset
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

That's interesting. Is stability good on x64?

hibidy wrote:That's interesting. Is stability good on x64?

I dunno Im still on Logic 9 32-bit running on OS-x lion

download the demo
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Someone should have a look at the freebies from Sir Elliott and Variety Of Sound. Stunning results come out from some of their plugins, IMO...

Return to “Effects”