Should i upgrade? Sampletank 3

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

I'm not a fan of the new interface. To me, it looks like version 1 of Wusik. [Not knocking Wusik, BTW. Wusik as progressed to a fine UI, IMHO.]

Clunky and utilitarian. No style. Browser is crowded and difficult. And it would be nice if we could see all the FX interfaces in a rack, rather than just the default eq and filters.

But more than that, it's not that the new sounds aren't good (they are "good"), it's just that there don't really seem to be any sounds that compel you to buy this. The pianos are nice, but I've already got a bucketful of nice pianos because every DAW, sampler and ROMpler already includes several of these.

The drum kits are, IMHO, top notch. And the included MIDI beats are quite useful. But again, many DAW's and samplers already include this stuff, and there are a ton of 3rd party plugs that are much cheaper than a full copy of ST3.

The FX are very good, but where are the FX presets to get you going for the most common uses?

I am glad to have the upgrade, but truly, only for the ability to play the legacy instruments (I have them all and haven't used them in years). I don't really need the new content. But even the ability to play the legacy stuff is limited: There are no macro controls, or, indeed, ANY controls for shaping legacy sounds as you would in the original ST interface.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Gizzmo0815 wrote: Absolutely...To put it simply. IK multimedia is acting greedy. They lose nothing by offering a cheap version of the engine (the VST itself). If they were to do such a thing for people that want a 64 bit sampler that works with their already purchased content then they would only be increasing their potential customer base. By requiring people who have content but don't want to pay for the "new" content (like me) they are limiting potential sales.

It doesn't make any sense. And it stinks of greed.

It's clear that there are many people who have been asking for a 64 bit solution to their Sampletank 2.5 problems for a LONG time. Secondly there are a lot of people who have been asking for a better interface for a LONG time. IK multimedia is in a position to 1) make money and 2) solve a simple pair of problems for a portion of their customer base, which would likely further solidify the relationship. Whereas with the current policy, people like me or the others here like me, are nothing more than missed opportunities.

It isn't about personal finances vs. company requirements for profit or anything of the sort because offering a lower cost version of the plugin for people who have already invested in a large selection of IK multimedia content doesn't DECREASE sales for IK...it widens the potential market.

I would hope that Peter would point this out to whoever he reports to when he sees posts such as this on such a widely viewed forum. I haven't seen a good explanation for why it can't be done (or why the company feels it isn't worthwhile)...only that it isn't done because "it isn't".
i don't know if ik is acting greedy but i know i never liked this company, its policies, or its products. this company puts out too many vstis a year for me to take them seriously. one can either put out one or two good vstis or put out tons of crappy ones by slice. then you have the part about a lot of the company products not being as good at their cheaper counterparts. csr? um no vallhalla, oh yes. and the price points system while on the surface looking like good money to value, if one wanted all the effects, the price would be in waves territory. sample tank 3 is just ugly. and the t-racks grand should be called t-racks only a few new plugins with tons of older plugins. so that's why i don't like this company.

AstralExistence wrote:this company puts out too many vstis a year for me to take them seriously.
Yup, the facts certainly back you up on that one. Ten years between ST2.5 and ST3, Amplitube 3 dates back about 4 years, and the current version of T-Racks seems to hearken back to 2012. That's like dozens per year, right?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I think I am just going to spring for jBridge and play the legacy stuff that way, the beauty of the "Ella" patch in the other thread notwithstanding . . . .

bharris22 wrote:I think I am just going to spring for jBridge and play the legacy stuff that way, the beauty of the "Ella" patch in the other thread notwithstanding . . . .
Yes, a solo voice patch played like that is a great representation of a 33.8GB sound library... (obviously not) Try the basses, pianos, drums, other voice patches, or whatever is put into the free version (sorry, no import there) when it is out and you may have a better idea of the great quality of the new library.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gizzmo0815 wrote: It isn't about personal finances vs. company requirements for profit or anything of the sort because offering a lower cost version of the plugin for people who have already invested in a large selection of IK multimedia content doesn't DECREASE sales for IK...it widens the potential market.
And we did that. It was the preorder upgrade pricing. Thanks for agreeing that it is a good move to offer an amazing discount on a full-version product upgrade to those that already own the previous version that was created before 64-bit DAWs even existed. We thought it was a great offer too. Judging by the preorders and the introductory orders coming in now, many did agree and it was a great way to widen the market.

whyterabbyt wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:this company puts out too many vstis a year for me to take them seriously.
Yup, the facts certainly back you up on that one. Ten years between ST2.5 and ST3, Amplitube 3 dates back about 4 years, and the current version of T-Racks seems to hearken back to 2012. That's like dozens per year, right?
I think the "i" was on the wrong side? We have put out quite a few of those products along the way (but I won't retread that old argument).

AstralExistence wrote: this company puts out too many vstis a year for me to take them seriously. one can either put out one or two good vstis or put out tons of crappy ones by slice.
Perhaps you meant that you feel we put too many of the previous VSTi on sale too often? Judging by the mountain of people who clamored to import these VSTi into SampleTank 3 the minute it was installed, and the people who are not happy that they weren't given a free engine into which to import those VSTi I'd say that there's still quite a bit of interest in them and they must be pretty useful to these many people, no?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
bharris22 wrote:I think I am just going to spring for jBridge and play the legacy stuff that way, the beauty of the "Ella" patch in the other thread notwithstanding . . . .
Yes, a solo voice patch played like that is a great representation of a 33.8GB sound library... (obviously not) Try the basses, pianos, drums, other voice patches, or whatever is put into the free version (sorry, no import there) when it is out and you may have a better idea of the great quality of the new library.
But it's 2014 - I have very good and great basses pianos, drums and other voices in other libraries from Kontakt, for example. How much better than Pianoteq or NI's pianos can the ST3 pianos possibly be? How much better than EZDrummer or Studio Drummer can ST3's drums possibly be? The answer is none. None more better.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”