KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC02, July 2014 - Voting has ended, winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After some technical difficulties, it's finally time for the voting of the current Mix Challenge (Number 02).

Voting starts as of now and lasts until 01st August 2014 (Midnight to 02nd August 2014, GMT+1)

Please take note of the official voting and winning rules the official rules thread!
Post 4: Rules for Voting
Post 5: Rules and General Information for winning goods

Summed up important bits:

VOTING:
  • the voting is currently handled through KVR's PM system, so only KVR members can vote (until the system changes)
  • every member on KVR is entitled to vote, there is no limitation to be a participant or not.
  • In order to cast your vote, you need to write a PM to user satYatunes with the following information:
    PM written to user satYatunes wrote:Subject: KVR Mix Challenge <number> - Voting

Text:
    1st Place: Participant A (get's 3 points)
    2nd Place: Participant B (get's 2 points)
    3rd Place: Participant C (get's 1 points)
  • the winner of the competition will be decided by popular votes / highest score
  • the winners podium are usually the top three highest voting spots
  • as of this moment, all voters must cast three (3) votes to declare the top three spots - please do so!
  • voting is mandatory to all mix participants (read: you have to, full commitment!)

WINNING GOODS:
  • people allowed to win are participants of the mix challenge that sent in a track, and one random voter (can be a bystander or participant)
  • the amount of free license winners will then be declared by a "participants/4 (rounded down) = license winners" rule. Example: 19 participants divided through 4 equals 4,75, or 4 winners. In actual math: 19 / 4 = 4,75 rounded down => 4
  • the winners of the competition can choose from the available content by the sponsors. First come, first serve.
  • one random voter can win a free license of the "random voter licenses" pool, this particular winner will be declared by chance - participants who already won a license for the particular Mix Challenge can't win an additional license
  • Price distribution will be cleared in public in the voting thread
  • if a participant (entrant) or bystander wants to win something, it is mandatory that he/she joins the voting process, cast a vote through the PM system and post in the thread with "I voted" or just "voted"
  • If you're not interested in any of the tools, or you only want to join due to the sheer fun of it, you are entitled to say "no" or even give that material away. You are not forced to take it. In this case, you also don't need to write down "I voted" and we know what's up. But you need to join the voting regardless!
Special thanks go to all sponsors.
And once more a thank you to user "satYatunes" for providing the track.

:arrow: ENTRANTS AND STATISTICS

We have 12 tracks out of 12 entries. Compared to Mix Challenge 01, we have 6 entries less. Thank you so much for your participation. Please listen to all of the tracks, then cast your three votes according to the rules stated above and in the rules and guidelines.

According to the new rules:
- we can have 3 winners (podium)
- we can give away 3 free licenses to the participants
- we can give away 1 free license for a random voter

Please see here what is available in the pool.

ENTRANTS:
Due to the criticism with MC01 that it was sometimes not possible to listen to the entries, we uploaded the tracks globally to a SoundCloud folder. Additional to that, you can grab a WAV or FLAC package for A/Bing in your host of choice.

The submitted/uploaded tracks are not mastered, but Loudness Normalized down to -18LUFS SLk for easier comparison. This is to offer a more objective viewpoint as the different average signal strength would otherwise influence your opinion. It is not a ticket for mixing as you please with future KVR Mix Challenges in full awareness, that we loudness normalize things anyway.

Here are the tracks on SoundCloud.
https://soundcloud.com/jrrshop/sets/kvr ... ting-files

Here are the download packs for A/Bing in your host.
KVR Mix Challenge 02 entrants WAV (ca. 430MB, ZIP)
KVR Mix Challenge 02 entrants FLAC (ca 304MB, ZIP)

STATISTICS:
Prior to the Loudness Normalization process, I analyzed the files and noted down values like average signal strength, maximum signal strength, loudness range and mathematical dynamic range (this is a bonus information). I also noted down warnings and possible rule violations. As mentioned in the Gossip thread, we won't disqualify anyone. But please take that as a learning curve. Pick up the information and improve on it.

KVR Mix Challenge 02 Statistics (PDF, 7kb, 1 page)

If there is a dead link, please let us know.

DISQUALIFICATIONS:
NONE FOR MC02 - but see statistics for more information

WITHDRAWALS:
NONE FOR MC02

Thanks once more for participating.

EDIT:
- none so far
Last edited by Compyfox on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I voted!

voted

voted (for fun)

I take it that you have no interest in possible goods?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Huh?
Oh a prize for voting :hihi: missed that part. No I don't forfeit it.

Voted!

@Compyfox
Could you tell me how you measured -12.13dB, Peak RMS, 300ms?
My meter tells me -15.14dB?!

I used Wavelab's global analysis tool, set the resolution to 300ms.

Take a note of this screenshot:

And take note of BOTH the Average and Max values in the statistics I posted in the OP. Maybe even take note of the statistics for my track. I use a reference level of -18dBFS RMS/0 VU (@-18dBFS).

As you can see, my average signal is about -20dB RMS, my maximum average signal strength is around -15,4dB. I shot for 0VU/-18dB on my meters, but I let the system overdrive by +2dB.

Got further Q's?
Please address this either in Gossip or the MC02 Feedback and Q&A thread.

voted !
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Voted

voted !

I am kind of missing the participation by the bystanders. So far only camsr joined this game, the rest are regular participants. Yet the interest is there if I look at the page views.

What gives?

Voted!

72hours left for voting

Even non mix participants are invited to cast their vote (read: bystanders).
So please join the fun.

Less than 48 hours left for the voting process.

Return to “Production Techniques”