What patch do you program when you get a new synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Guys, I wanted to know what kind of patch you guys program up when you buy/demo a new synth? How do you test the synth, to see if it makes you smile?

I usually go for an Acid sounds, but I've realized that because of this, all my synths now have that "First Impression" acid sound.

Thanks,
Monib

It's always a reese.

Sine or resonant filter kick drum + psy bass line ;)

Gives a good impression of the sound of the filters and envelope response, and I learn how to configure the basics such as envelopes and oscillators (phase reset) etc.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Something horrendously convoluted using all the weirdest sound sources, with massive amounts of modulation and noise.

If I can do that; or even if I fail massively, get lost in it, but still enjoy myself, I figure that's a synth for me.

These things are DESIGNED to make pretty, so if they can still make ugly...

Pitch-drop sine kick to test those envelopes.

Vangelis Blade Runner's intro lead sound, listening what the filter is like

Super saw trancy lead. :oops: And filter sweeps.

Supersaw , plucks, bass, lead.

That Emersonian fat 5th sound

Low Pass Filter Cutoff Sweep................
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Program?

Whatever I'm in the mood for at that moment...

Basic saw and square filter plucks. Kick and snare. Reece for testing detuned saws through the filter. Dark pad to test envelopes and filter warmth. Audio-rate modulation if supported. Then more audio-rate modulation on top of that. Then I'll play high notes and pitchbend them, give it a chance to really impress me :D

Then, I see how many chip tricks it will do. Octave blips, octave trills, wave switching on the attack, C64 rattlesnares. Not all synths are equipped for this kinda thing though, but it's a fun creative exercise trying to get synths not designed for that kinda thing to do that kind of thing. I was suprised how many chip staples I was able to make in TAL-Bassline 101, mainly thanks to it's onboard sequencer :) ACE is allowed into chiptune heaven mainly thanks to it's ramp generator, which can double as a square envelope (i.e. a modulation signal of --_____|:__:| )
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Monib wrote:Hey Guys, I wanted to know what kind of patch you guys program up when you buy/demo a new synth? How do you test the synth, to see if it makes you smile?

I usually go for an Acid sounds, but I've realized that because of this, all my synths now have that "First Impression" acid sound.

Thanks,
Monib
Good question, thanks for asking.

I'm too new to have an answer though, but I appreciate reading the replies.

Return to “Instruments”