IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

hibidy wrote:I'm sorry that people are having troubles
As a fellow Studio One user, you will appreciate this: with only 3 instances of "Steel String" acoustic guitar loaded--my first attempt at creating a "MULTI"--I am at 100% cpu spikes (70-80% idle, not playing) with pops and clicks going off like a fireworks show. What's strange is the instruments (samples) are ALL less than 30MB; <100MB combined :dog: :cry: :help:
Last edited by blueman on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonedef71 wrote:
blueman wrote:What's frustrating: it fails to show WHAT instrument is "not available," or how to repair the mutli/combi (e.g. browsing to find the missing instrument).
I could not agree with you more. IK Multimedia should change this behavior in a ST3 maintenance update to help us troubleshoot the issue with the missing instruments.
There will be import improvements in upcoming updates.

Also, to answer topaz's question, you can cancel the rescan and do one after you've imported everything and we will also be altering this behavior in an upcoming update so that it rescans more elegantly and efficiently.

Thank you for your suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, etc.

blueman wrote:
As a fellow Studio One user, you will appreciate this: with only 3 instances of "Steel String" acoustic guitar loaded--my first attempt at creating a "MULTI"--I am at 100% cpu spikes (70-80% idle, not playing) with pops and clicks going off like a fireworks show. What's strange is the instruments (samples) are ALL less than 30MB (<100MB combined) :dog: :cry: :help:
Forgive me if you mentioned this and I missed it, but if you haven't reported this to our support team yet please do so at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and they will look into it and get things straightened out.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:There will be import improvements in upcoming updates.

Also, to answer topaz's question, you can cancel the rescan and do one after you've imported everything and we will also be altering this behavior in an upcoming update so that it rescans more elegantly and efficiently.

Thank you for your suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, etc.
Good to hear :tu:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
blueman wrote:
As a fellow Studio One user, you will appreciate this: with only 3 instances of "Steel String" acoustic guitar loaded--my first attempt at creating a "MULTI"--I am at 100% cpu spikes (70-80% idle, not playing) with pops and clicks going off like a fireworks show. What's strange is the instruments (samples) are ALL less than 30MB (<100MB combined) :dog: :cry: :help:
Forgive me if you mentioned this and I missed it, but if you haven't reported this to our support team yet please do so at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and they will look into it and get things straightened out.
In this case, it's the "Acoustic Resonance" and "Reverb" FX. Once I remove those two effects, everything returns to normal. Studio One can be notorious for high cpu usage though; so I'm not at all surprised.

Finally got a chance to download and install.
Good news, for me it was easy download and install.
The bad news? Everything else.

Even if we didn't have to wait for yearsss for this, how are these sounds not horrible in today's market?

Maybe ten years ago I would have been excited and somewhat impressed that software could now sound a bit like the workstations of that day.
in 2014.....sorry, these are horrible and terribly disappointing.
There is no reason to get this over Halion or Halion Sonic unless you worked for IK Multimedia and was installing it on the work computer.

Am I the only one, way less than impressed?

p.s. I haven't read the manual yet just gone thru sounds... but I must have missed even the ability to transpose parts.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:Finally got a chance to download and install.

Even if we didn't have to wait for yearsss for this, how are these sounds not horrible in today's market?

Maybe ten years ago I would have been excited and somewhat impressed that software could now sound a bit like the workstations of that day.
There is no reason to get this over Halion or Halion Sonic unless you worked for IK Multimedia and was installing it on the work computer.

p.s. I haven't read the manual yet just gone thru sounds... but I must have missed even the ability to transpose parts.

rsp
Well, I do have Halion5 and Halion Sonic 2... Tell me, when was the last time there was a library released for H5 and HS2? I love those instruments dearly.... but, they seem like abandon-ware..
I do think Sampletank 3 has potential... but it's up to the sample libraries developers to support it now..
Did you check out stuff like 'Nylon String 2 Finger'? I must admit, I was surprised that there were no Bass presets with Keyswitching on ST3...

Edit... BTW, To transpose parts... Edit page> second knob at the top..

kiezum wrote:If you want to use Sonik Synth, SampleMoog and Tron, the expansions and Miroslav, then the upgrade is worth the price. Because SampleTank 3 works better then ST2.5 (64 bit, VST3).

But I wouldn't buy SampleTank 3 as a new Sampler or Rompler. Halion is much better. The presets on Halion are really good! And the added synth, granual, organ, slicing, drumbox, flex-phraser etc are fantastic. And a good workflow. BTW, it works great with Cubase (note expression, drag/drop of samples etc).
I pretty much agree with everything in this post. I would add the following:

1) Unless I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time) the so-called legacy instruments do sound great, but do not have any macro control of any kind (other than the filter/eq/FX controls). My Sonik Synth 2 sounds fantastic (I've missed using it all this time) but there's no tweaking.

2) I thought I saw something about downloading and installing combi's and FX presets. I know there's a whole bunch of combi demos included, but is there a library of actual combi instruments like with ST2.5? Also, are there any FX presets? If so, where are they and how do you load them?

3) While I think that IK has really upped their game with ST3, and many of the instruments are top notch, I still think that Halionsonic2/Halion5 tops them in almost every category. One outstanding feature that IK does have is the included MIDI files for each instrument category. This works particularly well with the excellent included drum kits.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Rajah wrote:Well, I do have Halion5 and Halion Sonic 2... Tell me, when was the last time there was a library released for H5 and HS2? I love those instruments dearly.... but, they seem like abandon-ware..
:lol: Come on dude, they only came out last August and were quite substantial upgrades.

BERFAB wrote:3) While I think that IK has really upped their game with ST3, and many of the instruments are top notch, I still think that Halionsonic2/Halion5 tops them in almost every category.
That's an understatement for sure. Halion 5 is an amazing piece of software.

In Studio One it's resonance and reverb that devour the CPUs. Turn those off and the spikes should subside.

Where is the harp!?!?
I'm Kinda a big Deal

blueman wrote:with only 3 instances of "Steel String" acoustic guitar loaded--my first attempt at creating a "MULTI"--I am at 100% cpu spikes (70-80% idle, not playing) with pops and clicks going off like a fireworks show. What's strange is the instruments (samples) are ALL less than 30MB; <100MB combined :dog: :cry: :help:
Can you try to take out every effect from the slots?

Yesterday I created a multi with 4-5 instruments and the CPU meter in Bidule was over 80%. Same: clicks, pops, unusable. Then as a test I took out every effect from the slots (I think it was 2x piano, 1x organ, 1x strings, ?) and the CPU meter gone down to 7-8% .

Now only have to narrow down which one of the effects in the CPU hog... ;)

blueman wrote:
As a fellow Studio One user, you will appreciate this: with only 3 instances of "Steel String" acoustic guitar loaded--my first attempt at creating a "MULTI"--I am at 100% cpu spikes (70-80% idle, not playing) with pops and clicks going off like a fireworks show. What's strange is the instruments (samples) are ALL less than 30MB; <100MB combined :dog: :cry: :help:
I shudder. :hug:

zvenx wrote:Finally got a chance to download and install.

rsp
I feel sorry for all the people who bought it. A handful of demoes beforehand, so not much to go on, no preset list until the last day of the pre-order (!), endless problems importing old ST banks, ridiculous installation process, loads of problems which shouldn't even exist, had the developers given two hoots about their users. And still almost nobody here saying the sounds are fantastic and well worth paying for! And it took an astounding ten years to produce this!

Return to “Instruments”