Ableton live 9 audio plugin returns stereo

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to work in cubase but i thought to give Ableton a try.

One of the first issues i ran into is when audio has been edited, for example with melodyne, "resampling" it back to Ableton in stereo.

I have been searching the web, and some say to use the Utility plugin on the Resampled track. And others say to use freezing option.

First of, none of them worked, the destination track still ended up in stereo.
Second, is there no cleaner to do this?

In cubase it was done in to clicks. No waiting to have the audio track to run and no hussle.

Anyone can shed some light on this... cos something so basic makes me wonder if Ableton is worth continuing with.

You can use Utility to make a stereo track mono, but as far as I recall every track in Ableton Live is always and will forever be stereo.
Meh.

KrisM wrote:You can use Utility to make a stereo track mono, but as far as I recall every track in Ableton Live is always and will forever be stereo.
You can set a track to mono via the track I/O and simply choose 1 channel instead of stereo (1/2, 3/4, etc...).

I'm not in front of my workstation so I can't doublecheck this, but I think choosing "resample" on a track will always be stereo (since it's resampling from the Master). If you setup another track (set it to mono) and set it's input from your mono source track, hopefully it will work?

If no one checks this out, I will later tonight.

I think that might work, but I want to say that if audio is recorded it'll still be a stereo wav file.

I could also be horribly wrong.

**edit** Okay, you can record it in mono by selecting just one input, but if you route that track as the input of another track, Live will record a stereo track that's basically two identical mono tracks.
Meh.

Live can record in mono and stereo. If you're resampling from a stereo source you get a stereo track.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Live can record in mono and stereo. If you're resampling from a stereo source you get a stereo track.
yeah.. but what if ur resampling from an mono track... thats the question

KrisM wrote:I think that might work, but I want to say that if audio is recorded it'll still be a stereo wav file.

I could also be horribly wrong.

**edit** Okay, you can record it in mono by selecting just one input, but if you route that track as the input of another track, Live will record a stereo track that's basically two identical mono tracks.
and that is the key problem.

elxsound wrote:
KrisM wrote:You can use Utility to make a stereo track mono, but as far as I recall every track in Ableton Live is always and will forever be stereo.
You can set a track to mono via the track I/O and simply choose 1 channel instead of stereo (1/2, 3/4, etc...).

I'm not in front of my workstation so I can't doublecheck this, but I think choosing "resample" on a track will always be stereo (since it's resampling from the Master). If you setup another track (set it to mono) and set it's input from your mono source track, hopefully it will work?

If no one checks this out, I will later tonight.
i checked the I/O and this box just below the dropdown where you find "Resampling" it shows: "ii"
of which i presume stands for stereo.

I really dont understand that something this basic in Audio recording is not available in Live.
Not to mention the fact that you have to re-run the track in order to resample... terrible workflow.

I saw i vid on youtube (forgot the link) in sonar x3, it can even copy&paste from the plugin INTO the arrangement. And move on from there. With each paste could be handled and adjusted independently. Now, thats what i call great workflow.

The reason i thought Live would be interested is because of the Session View. Which i think is a great and creative way to try all sorts of things. But it's simply lacking basic functions.

The latest Cubase 7.5 has also some nice feature, TrackVersions, where different type of tracks can be selected in a menu without no hassle. But i am limited in cash at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HqUE4#t=35 (starts at 0.35) So hopefully one day.

Its possible to export audio in mono using the convert to mono function in the export dialogue. Then drag it into a clip from the browser.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”