the future of synthesis

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the way i'd like to have set this discussion up is posting the file first and inviting comment, then coming back later to berate y'all with my thesis :hyper: but i figure over the next couple days i probably won't drop in so you can make what you want of the package.

audio:
http://xoxos.net/temp/thefuture.mp3

i've been thinking about this topic/thread for some time, using the melodyne thread as an excuse to get it done.

songs are unfinished and the album might not be released for a few years. it's true, what you are hearing is not the most spectacular technology, but i would think it would make any melodyne user things to think about.

the voice synth is not the newer version of syng i shelved in 2011, it's the 2008? version, 4 bandpass filters. not really much of a conceptual advance over the 3 band model at the world's fair in (what was it, 1937?)

i'll go on: the instruments and effects you hear are primitive general VAs comparable or inferior to synth1.

if you don't appreciate it you can go off and write some horseshit post about how i'm an attention whore if you like or think such warding will contribute to the greater good.

if you think it has some merit or interest, perhaps you will share my outlook on the experience:

what i hear here i have not heard previously to my knowledge. it's basically butt grease - modulating the engine you have available to you for performance. this is why i make the point that the voice synth is ~80 years old.

none of the parts you hear are a great opus of microediting - the voice has some generalised contours per word and a bit of attenuation for the nasty ass plosive engine. the instruments (really unfinished) have about the same temporal density of edits.

the future of synthesis, some epithet about temporal pertinence.. much of commerce is driven by expecting more from products and less from ourselves.. for instance, though iirc it was 2008 that i compiled syng2 myself, having used it extensively (60-80 songs with verses?) since, on very few occasions have i delved into modulation.. these performances are significantly better than the unimproved songs i've recorded, using the same trashy engine, and even with only amp modulated. that's my experience: steps towards overcoming my own laziness.

so if you're still staring at this for meaning after the last paragraph, i'll simplify it again.. don't wait for something else to make a difference. buy xoxos synths today.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Actually i loved this thing.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

I'll chime in... Maybe it's just the style of music presented or maybe it's the the voice synth, perhaps it's the marriage of the two but, that was just about the most haunting, strange and eerily beautiful thing I've heard in a while...

brilliant

Sounds like a female singer! Well, then it goes male.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

It's just like religion ... ok in small doses. Hopefully just a small fragment in a small niche within a micro-genre of the future of synthesis.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

More like the future of weird robotic voices that sound like they have throat cancer. :shrug:

"Doctor, wait, don't get on the plane!!! "The Future of Synthesis...it, it's an AD!!!!!"

But in the spirit of my imagined theme of this thread, I think there is still much exciting work to be done in the formant realm! Your clips are not without merit, IMHO, but the sounds, as you admit, are so rudimentary and raw. For me the most glaring issue is the hard starts and stops, because of course when we speak sentences the flow of sound is near constant, and the consonants are even softer when sung, sometimes only hinted at.

In my mind the way to make a somewhat realistic "singer" type of synth (not being familiar with Syng) is to have the 10 basic formants triggered by keyswitches (because you need instant access, not a roll through selections, as a MW would provide). I see no way to "play" the instrument live with any real effectiveness, as there are too many formant and consonant combinations, so maybe the consonants would have to be added through CC adjustments.

Since the vocal range is fairly limited in most music (well covered by 2 octaves) that leaves a good deal of controller keyboard real estate to explore key switching, including clever consonant combo switching (Sh, Tr, Pl, etc.). A type of consonant softening/hardening control would be useful too.

As for the actual voice tones to be manipulated, a wide selection of everything from simple raspy saws and squares, to more choir type "voices" would be good, with special emphasis on variable noise breathiness. I've achieved some fairly impressive effects using Synth1 fem vox and choir sounds through formant filter effects, but the lack of control (keyswitching) is all wrong and limits the depth of the experience to little more than a hint of an idea.

But maybe an effect plugin IS the way to go, so one could add formant effects to any sound, including vocal types. Actually, I like this idea the farther I travel down that road! Or are we simply stepping into vocoder territory now?

Seems a fairly daunting task to me, to do a thorough job of it. But that's how I see it all might be handled. And maybe I'm simply restating the obvious. I'm sure, like most things, once you get into it - the real nightmare begins!

Thanks for all your unique and imaginative plugins through the years, xoxos!

I wanted to criticise because of the title.

But I couldn't find anything to have a go at.

So, I'll stfu.

codec_spurt wrote:I wanted to criticise because of the title.

But I couldn't find anything to have a go at.

So, I'll stfu.
I don't know, I thought it was pretty easy to take a go at ... because of the title. But, truth be told, it is kind of a fun couple of tracklets.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

:love: :love: :love: Please sir may I have some more???

dformd wrote::love: :love: :love: Please sir may I have some more???
If you don't know this you're in for a treat:

http://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/payola

Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Did you screw up Nina Simone's My baby just cares for me? :hihi:

I don't like any of that audio, horrible stuff :P

sfam - track down the video for the world's fair speech synth.. iirc took two months for switchboard operators to develop the proficiency for the demo. but i wouldn't worry about it, you know five years from now it will be neural so forget hardware controllers.

codec - maybe some people will attempt to buy anything that says future on it :)

thanks for the appreciative words :)

http://xoxos.net/temp/preview/lostmelody.mp3
tieing up loose ends and backing up my words, you can examine the 'quality' of my efforts to emulate using basics.. i figure there's a while to go yet on these tracks, as i'm still developing my technique. it's kind of amazing that i'm happy with the emulation in respects, the expectation bar keeps getting higher. you can hear some parts gel and other parts are overtly synthetic, and i'm still playing with where the balance is as that theme is part of the experience. and the drums here are a click track (work has been done since).
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I like it, thank you for the listening.
It sounds a bit like the music Angelo Badalamenti's 56k modem should have played at night ;)

Return to “Instruments”