Ableton Live is starting to piss me off...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

what REALLY p's me off about LIVE & this has been since V.6 =

It's 4:30 AM and I'm still jamming like a MoFo on it !

My darling wife tells me that I should sleep but . . .

:=)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

The problem isn't organising your own presets - it's that Live forces your to have 4 separate locations where presets are stored. I have my user folder for my own presets, not a problem, but on top of that there is the Live 9 library, a separate Live 8 library (stupid!) and another separate packs folder. Ideally I would like all my presets in just one folder that I can organise how I want (including Ableton's and third party ones), at most I can accept a 2 way split between factory presets and user presets but 4 is ridiculous (particularly since the way packs get installed makes a mess, for example the Soniccouture packs are 6 folders deep and if I try and reorganise them I just get error messages. Max4Live packs seem to end up all over the place).

ezelkow1 wrote:Also for #3

First thing I do on a fresh install is setup a default template, and the first thing in that template is a limiter going on the master output to prevent that exact scenario. So you should just be able to slap an ableton limiter effect on master then save as default. Wont help with the giga conversion but at least may save your speakers
It totally surprises me that so many people do not do this first thing.

Maybe not set up a template but always put a limiter on the master track very first thing in your routine.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I hated the browser when I first upgraded to Live9 ... but now I find it easy to use. All my presets are stored in my user library, instead of being mixed in with Live's presets. So are my clips, grooves, etc ... makes it much easier to find stuff imho. My only complaint is that the browser can take its time to update when adding live packs and 3rd party presets.

dsan@mail.com wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:Also for #3

First thing I do on a fresh install is setup a default template, and the first thing in that template is a limiter going on the master output to prevent that exact scenario. So you should just be able to slap an ableton limiter effect on master then save as default. Wont help with the giga conversion but at least may save your speakers
It totally surprises me that so many people do not do this first thing.

Maybe not set up a template but always put a limiter on the master track very first thing in your routine.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
The limiters don't have a threshold less than 6dB.

Can you recommend some ableton effect that achieves this purpose? i.e. muting the output if it goes over say 8dB.

I suggest Cerberus Audio's Ice 9. The default is to mute above 0.2 dB I think, which is perfect. It's on the master channel in my default template.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

How do you make a default template for Live?

aMUSEd wrote:How do you make a default template for Live?
Create everything you want as a default set. Then>Preferences>File/Folder Tab, on top it says 'Save current set as default'. Hit 'Save', done. Have Fun!

wesleyt wrote:I suggest Cerberus Audio's Ice 9. The default is to mute above 0.2 dB I think, which is perfect. It's on the master channel in my default template.
Should you use that instead of a limiter or with a limiter?

keyman_sam wrote:
The limiters don't have a threshold less than 6dB.

Can you recommend some ableton effect that achieves this purpose? i.e. muting the output if it goes over say 8dB.
Ok, maybe i mistunderstand, but why would you want anything over 0dB? On the Master (where you should put the limiter set to a little under 0 dB to prevent clipping your DAC) this means instant nasty digital clipping/distortion...

Now, if you mean that your signal is driving the limiter too hard (6dB) then bring down either your channel faders (if not automated) or use Ableton's 'utility' audio fx to bring the level of the track(s) down by a certain amount without destroying your perfectly automated mix.

If you do sound design with headphones, a limiter on the master is almost a must as an ear-saver. I keep my levels low until mix-down but it's there as a precaution against "what happens when I turn the resonance up". I'd love a 0 db limiting switch just for that purpose.

In any case, Live's templates are great for this sort of thing. And the gripes? Yeah, but cliche as it is, nothing (and no one) is perfect. If you're even close to 90% happy with it that's a huge win (Louis CK).

Not saying no complaining - file bug reports, request features, post on KVR. But am suggesting the search for the perfect DAW will end the same way as the search for the perfect mate - disappointment.

I gave up on Live.

Requested the same things again and again the last three years, but without luck.

My showstoppers are:

1. Tap tempo automatically starts playback after the fourth tap.
This is really annoying when you want to use Live for background loops, but not as tempo master.
Tempo is set by the main acoustic instruments on our sets.
When you are starting a song with an eight bar intro with rising tempo from acoustic guitar and violin and you want to tap along, the automatic playback is a real pita.

2. Asking to save the project, when you want to load the next song.
I really can´t understand, why you can´t turn this off??

3. No working shortcut to show GUI of an instrument in the foreground.

4. Tried to work live without mouse or trackpad using automapped VST/AU and a Novation SL MK II, but found no solution until now.

5. Tap tempo from the SL isn´t taken immediately by Live, it is sloowly rising and lagging.

aMUSEd wrote:
wesleyt wrote:I suggest Cerberus Audio's Ice 9. The default is to mute above 0.2 dB I think, which is perfect. It's on the master channel in my default template.
Since I use it to protect against unexpected loud noises, I use it instead of a limiter through sound design and arrangement. Once all my sounds are designed, everything should be predictable, so I turn it off and turn on Elephant. Elephant is still there to protect from clips through mixing. By the time I'm done mixing, Elephant is off as well, since I'm nowhere near 0. I bounce to a stereo file to master in a separate session.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

wesleyt wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Since I use it to protect against unexpected loud noises, I use it instead of a limiter through sound design and arrangement. Once all my sounds are designed, everything should be predictable, so I turn it off and turn on Elephant. Elephant is still there to protect from clips through mixing. By the time I'm done mixing, Elephant is off as well, since I'm nowhere near 0. I bounce to a stereo file to master in a separate session.
I'm so glad you posted this... I had forgot about it and couldn't remember the name of it to download.

This should be extremely helpful as the limiter doesn't catch everything.

33tetragammon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:How do you make a default template for Live?
Create everything you want as a default set. Then>Preferences>File/Folder Tab, on top it says 'Save current set as default'. Hit 'Save', done. Have Fun!
Don't forget you can also set the defaults for individual audio tracks and individual midi tracks. Currently I just keep a deactivated EQ8 on my default audio tracks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”