One-Synth-Challenge #65: TAL BassLine (Results are in!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-BassLine TAL-BassLine-101

chilledpanda wrote: Hmm so is rendering at @24bit 192khz cheating? lol
No, but it would be bragging! :hihi:
You might alienate the Lo-Fi crowd and not win any votes! :hihi:

Or disappoint those of us who are going deaf in the high frequencies! 192/2 = 96 which is well above the ~18kHz around where my hearing probably fades to 0, so I'd potentially be missing (96-18)/96 = 81.25% of your sound! Maybe more, I didn't get a good look at the chart. 8-bit @22kHz FTW!

psmacmur wrote:Or disappoint those of us who are going deaf in the high frequencies! 192/2 = 96 which is well above the ~18kHz around where my hearing probably fades to 0, so I'd potentially be missing (96-18)/96 = 81.25% of your sound! Maybe more, I didn't get a good look at the chart. 8-bit @22kHz FTW!
If you guys want my dog's vote... you better render at high quality!

Here's mine:

https://soundcloud.com/dreamforgedstar/ ... sline-free

---------------------------------------------
DAW: Zynewave Podium 3.2.1 x64
EDIT: Synth - TAL Bassline Free - instances - 36

Effects:

Master:
GMonoBass x1
ReaEQ x1
TDR Feedback Compressor II x1
MEqualizer x1
Loudmax x1

Sends:
Voxengo Oldschool Verb x1
TAL Dub III x1
SignalDust Abstract Chamber x1
IMEA Delay x1

The rest:
Zynewave EQ - around 40
jsCompShaper x1
GMonoBass x1
Melda MCompressor x2
Melda EQ x2
Melda MBandPass
vacuumsound Reverb x1
Abstract Chamber x1
Tila2 x2
Sleepy Time Transient x4
ADT x3
GGain x2
Freeverb Hibiki
TDR Feedback Comp x3
IMEA FIlter x3
IMEA Delay x2
IMEA Overdrive x2
TAL Dub III x5
TAL Filter 2
TAL Reverb III 2
Voxengo OldSkoolVerb
GRevDelay
---------------------------------------------
EDIT: The IMEA Overdrive is used very gently on the two "303s", only to have a slight boost in the resonance, because just a tad higher in the synth itself was going into self-oscillation.

I really like where this one ended, and had to weed out a lot of additional melodies/sequences actually, due to the CPU already hitting 100% without the extra 6-7 instances for Chord Stabs etc.
As soon as the OSC is finished I will remake it with some other synths and "forbidden" effects.
Feedback greatly appreciated guys, as my "monitoring" is far from ideal.

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:We may need to check with the rules on this one, but you could always take the master channel level of your DAW so far down that the audio meter won't register much of a level at all. Even though you might be recording at 16 or 24 bit on your DAW, if you do this, you'll be using a much lower effective bit rate on your master level, probably much closer to 8-bit. You might be surprised how far down you have to take the level in order to down-grade even 16 bit to 8-bit! Remember that every time you halve the amplitude of your signal, you lose only 1 bit, so to get to 8 bits, it's quite a huge reduction in level.

Then after you create your final stereo WAV file, you'll see a waveform that looks pretty tiny and thin, but simply normalize it back to your optimum level, and you're set. Of course you'll hear noise and dirt, but that's the sound of 8-bit!

Also, you could downgrade your sample rate to 22 or 30 kHz. This will match the Lo-Fi quality of those 80's and 90's sound cards! If you like the approach, but don't like the result, experiment with backing off a little on the effect.

Hey, everyone, what's the rules on this? Because I've thought about this myself sometimes.
Wow. Gotta try that. Great advice, thanks!
On the use of bit-crashers: I'm very well aware of the rule "keep the synth's sound recognizable" and I comply.

Hello,

first time submitter and, obviously, first participation to KVR One-Synth-Challenge.
I love the Togu Audio Line synths and effects. So I couldn't resist. :wink:

Here is my submission :

https://soundcloud.com/jay-f-2/jay-f-sl ... line-osc65

Composed for the KVR One Synth Challenge 65, July 2014.

DAW : Reaper v4.71

Synth :
21x TAL BassLine (v1.5.5 free)

No presets.
All sounds programmed with inspiration coming from BassLine-101 presets and the original Roland SH-101 manual.

Insert effects :
13x ReaEQ
3x ReaComp
5x TAL Tube
1x TAL Reverb II
4x TAL DUB II
2x TAL Filter

Send effects :
1x ReaEQ
1x ReaComp
2x TAL Reverb II
1x Voxengo OldSkoolVerb
1x TAL DUB II

Master effects :
1x ReaEQ
1x Aradaz MAximizer 5
1x BC FreqAnalyser
1x ReaComp
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-f-2

Would this sound be too distorted to put into a mix. Using Camel Crusher free.
https://soundcloud.com/goadojo/distort

eer, so im guessing this is too much distortion? won't add it in just in case.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Hey, just want to say that there are some great pieces in again (already). Looks like it's going to be another toughie to vote on. The OSC-ers never cease to amaze me , and I have only been here for a few months.

Great job guys.

Rob (aka doctorbob)

doctorbob wrote:Hey, just want to say that there are some great pieces in again (already). Looks like it's going to be another toughie to vote on. The OSC-ers never cease to amaze me...
Yeah, most times there are some great OSC tracks; this month is shaping up to be no exception. I just got back from vacation, so I'm a bit behind on my track; hoped to finish it before I left but got tied up with other crap. I can't wait to hear the onslaught of masterpieces in the coming days (and perhaps the ones I haven't yet listened to). :)

I used to play a hardware 101 many years ago so couldn't resist the TAL version when it came out, and then of course couldn't resist this competition! It's even prompted me to finally sign up for Soundcloud. I'm a huge fan of retro sci-fi, so here's my track: (NB: uploaded very quiet, so needs volume knob enhancement!)

https://soundcloud.com/deepsouth41/spir ... s-of-titan

Not overly complex in the components:
10 instances of TAL101
7 Reaverbate
6 ReaEQ
3 ReaXcomp
8 KarmaFX delay (free)
1 ReaXcomp on the master
Rendered out of Reaper and uploaded direct to Soundcloud. I realized with this track that all my usual effects are payware. Luckily I had the little KarmaFX delay sitting about because I'm always on the search for a good delay.

I was just reading about the methane sea called "Kraken Mare" on Saturn's moon Titan, so this track is dedicated to that little orange world. I imagine a lonely probe marooned there.

After too much time away from the OSC I'm back with a short piece to submit this month

TAL BassLine (the free one!) was great fun, all the usual restrictions of working with a monophonic synth and after trying to reproduce a few famous sounds with it I decided to go for a sort of retro dub mashup track using snippets of classic synth lines thrown in here and there

https://soundcloud.com/docjon/model-car-prayer-dub
Model Car Prayer Dub

28 instances of TAL BassLine (the free one!)

Host: Cubase 6.5

FX:
Host EQ, Compressor, Delay, Reverb, Autopan, Maximizer,Limiter
Little bit of DaTube saturation on the Kick
TAL Dub providing extra Delay here and there
Voxengo Span keeping an eye on everything

Project file here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25214458/OSC65.cpr

:)
Jon

Here is my track:
I decided to forget about polyphony and go for 80's retro-style sequencing!
https://soundcloud.com/paulmehlhaff/pul ... -detective
TRACK DETAILS:
10 Instances of TAL Bassline Free Version in Cubase LE5
4 Instances of Awida Soft DX Reverb
7 Instances of Cubase native EQ
3 Instances of Cubase native VST Dynamics
1 Instance of Classic Delay
1 Instance of Limiter 6
1 Instance of Voxengo Span metering plugin

SPECIAL 1984 VERSION OF SUBMISSION:
Hey all you gnarley dudes at the Single Synthesizer Challenge! I am mailing this postcard to let you all know I finished my bitchin' song, "Venice Beach Detective"
TRACK DETAILS:
10 Roland SH-101's! I bought a total of 4 of these babies, and had to borrow 6 more from the Berklee School of Music! I connected and daisy-chained all these guys to a Roland MC-8 microprocessor sequencer and bumped all the tracks to an Ampex MM1000 2-inch tape 16-track machine via a Yamaha MQ1602 mixing console, courtesy of Golden Smurf studios in San Francisco.
Other equipment used was a rented NEVE 33609 Stereo compressor, a Roland RE201 Space Echo. The tracks were mixed through a borrowed laboratory Analog-to-Digital/Digital-to-Analog converter so we could saturate it with that happenin'-new "cool-thin digital" sound that everyone seems to like now-a-days, before placing the track on 1/4 inch tape, via the Akai GX635DB reel-to-reel with Dolby noise reduction. To make it easy for everyone to get the track, I have compressed it down to size, by recording it at 3 3/4 inches per second speed. I hope you know that in submitting this track, it cost me over $230,000! So I hope I win the grand prize of the custom samples for the Fairlight CMI. Not that I have a CMI, but I'm sure there will come a day when everyone can have a CMI, maybe a day when can have a Fairlight on a little portable pad-like device you operate with your fingertip? Well, we can all dream, can't we!

Pulse Width Modulation wrote: SPECIAL 1984 VERSION OF SUBMISSION:
Hey all you gnarley dudes at the Single Synthesizer Challenge! I am mailing this postcard to let you all know I finished my bitchin' song, "Venice Beach Detective"
TRACK DETAILS:
10 Roland SH-101's! I bought a total of 4 of these babies, and had to borrow 6 more from the Berklee School of Music! I connected and daisy-chained all these guys to a Roland MC-8 microprocessor sequencer and bumped all the tracks to an Ampex MM1000 2-inch tape 16-track machine via a Yamaha MQ1602 mixing console, courtesy of Golden Smurf studios in San Francisco.
Other equipment used was a rented NEVE 33609 Stereo compressor, a Roland RE201 Space Echo. The tracks were mixed through a borrowed laboratory Analog-to-Digital/Digital-to-Analog converter so we could saturate it with that happenin'-new "cool-thin digital" sound that everyone seems to like now-a-days, before placing the track on 1/4 inch tape, via the Akai GX635DB reel-to-reel with Dolby noise reduction. To make it easy for everyone to get the track, I have compressed it down to size, by recording it at 3 3/4 inches per second speed. I hope you know that in submitting this track, it cost me over $230,000! So I hope I win the grand prize of the custom samples for the Fairlight CMI. Not that I have a CMI, but I'm sure there will come a day when everyone can have a CMI, maybe a day when can have a Fairlight on a little portable pad-like device you operate with your fingertip? Well, we can all dream, can't we!
[/i]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

hi KVR people - here is my contribution to the 65th edition:

https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/fluss-fli ... 5-mix-jvdv

14 tracks, 2 with TAL Bassline (FREE) and 12 with the TAL Bassline 101.
Recorded with Cubase SL2, 4 tracks at a time and then rendered.
Mix was done by JvdV with Ableton 8.
Apart from native Abletond EQ only the freeware TAL reverb was used.

my track, nothing special...
https://soundcloud.com/wirkmenge/besh-lat-ssab
done in Maschine and Studio One
25x Tal Bassline
Host effects: delay, verb, compressor, limiter, filter
freeware: pancake, TDR Feedback Compressor II

Return to “Instruments”