SoftClipper, and now SmoothClipper

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just a quick note, this plugin didn't work in Sonar X3e, x64 Win 7 x64

TMaudio did Sonar give any indication to the problem, or a simple default failing to load?
This may be because it does not use 64 bit floats for audio. I've only set it to work on 32 bit float audio, i.e no double precision. Double precision daws like sonar (AFAIK) will attempt to use the plugin's processDoubleReplacing function, which SoftClipper doesn't have ATM.
Please give me some more info and I could see if this is the problem.

Tp3 wrote:Can you add some indication as to when (and how, if possible) it starts "shaving" off peaks ?
(how=how much, in dB)

Thanks
Maybe in the future yes. I've avoided GUI programming because I am focusing more on audio. Is it not convenient to use your host's peak meters?

camsr wrote:TMaudio did Sonar give any indication to the problem, or a simple default failing to load?
This may be because it does not use 64 bit floats for audio. I've only set it to work on 32 bit float audio, i.e no double precision. Double precision daws like sonar (AFAIK) will attempt to use the plugin's processDoubleReplacing function, which SoftClipper doesn't have ATM.
Please give me some more info and I could see if this is the problem.
hey camsr, no Sonar did not give any indication and the plugin does actually load. There is just no processing going on at all. Most likely is the 64-bit thing, I am 64bit through and through.

Okay I will upload a double precision version soon.
While I am at it, does anyone think a 1-channel mono version would be useful?

Okay this v3.1 JUST adds processDoubleReplacing for 64-bit precision.
Link on the top post.

cool camsr, I'll report back

camsr wrote:
Tp3 wrote:Can you add some indication as to when (and how, if possible) it starts "shaving" off peaks ?
(how=how much, in dB)

Thanks
Maybe in the future yes. I've avoided GUI programming because I am focusing more on audio. Is it not convenient to use your host's peak meters?
Yes, I can do it (actually, I AM doing it).
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Second thing I am thinking of : maybe integrate some hi-end compensation, to compensate hi-freq loss because the peaks are shaved...
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Yes one problem with clipping is Intermodulation Distortion. It's one thing to clip a sine wave, because the waveform ends up symmetrical, and the result is a correlated harmonic series. When clipping a full spectrum, decorrelated (random phase) waveform, problems show up as the dominant frequencies "boost" everything else into the ceiling, causing intermodulation. And more funny audio stuff can happen as two sinewaves with close but seperated frequencies intermodulate, causing something similar to ring modulation. So, clipping works well on a correlated, harmonic signal, where harmonics are added (or possibly taken away), so no funny stuff happens. That also means the distortion character is primarily odd-order, but an asymmetric waveform can show new even-order harmonics.
:party:
I would like to add stuff like your suggestion, I'm not sure how much it would impact CPU performance. I made this primarily to be fast and do intend to keep it fast. Maybe.

camsr wrote:I would like to add stuff like your suggestion, I'm not sure how much it would impact CPU performance.
I made this primarily to be fast and do intend to keep it fast. Maybe.
If that is the case, then no further features should be added.

An "In ya face" or "Quick and Dirty" kind of a plugin it should stay :tu:

It's just that in light of the extremely informative things you have said (regarding the way it effects the sound) I guess that one would want to know what was added to to sound (kind of "wet - minus dry").

Thanks anyway ! Though I do have ClipShither (which offers the world - and beyond - in terms of visual data and sound treatment) and ClipStar, it's always nice to investigate new algorithms.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote: Though I do have ClipShither (which offers the world - and beyond - in terms of visual data and sound treatment)
really nice name, I dont have it but its not hard to imagine what is such plugin doin... :lol:

edit-now I see you reinvented that name a little...

camsr 3.1 still doesn't have any processing going on (100% null) but now the left channel is cut out as well

ADD: when I click 64-bit precision off under settings, with the plugin engaged the meters spike and remain over digital zero quite a bit, with no audio playing.

Okay there was a glaring typo that the compiler didn't catch.
Must remember to use distinct variable names in the future :rolleyes:
Use the same link as before to download it, although I don't know if it will work going by your description of the problem, but it was working fine for me just now, using Reaper x64. I should remind everyone it's still in beta (or maybe it's early access, IDK)

I don't have Sonar so I can't test it there. If you would like to help out, I could only say thanks, I'm sure someone else would also appreciate it.

camsr wrote:Okay there was a glaring typo that the compiler didn't catch.
Must remember to use distinct variable names in the future :rolleyes:
Use the same link as before to download it, although I don't know if it will work going by your description of the problem, but it was working fine for me just now, using Reaper x64. I should remind everyone it's still in beta (or maybe it's early access, IDK)

I don't have Sonar so I can't test it there. If you would like to help out, I could only say thanks, I'm sure someone else would also appreciate it.
Yea it was the same deal with the x64 version. This time however I tried using the x86 version and actually that works.
It's usable, you just get some quirky or faulty behavior like how the parameters reset if you copy from one track to the other for example. Other than that, it is actually a nice soft clipper. It reminds me of GClip but in a dynamic way which was the most interesting part. Specifically the softness curve you can sense is dynamically changing according to the frequency content which is clever.

Return to “Effects”