Up-to-date list of microtonal synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was thinking the list of microtonal apps on the Xenharmonic site is way out of date so is there a more up-to-date list anywhere or shall we compile one? The microtonal synths I have include:

Alchemy
Anarmark
Absynth (limited support)
Pianoteq
Aalto
Kaivo
Kontakt (but via scripting - no scala/tun support as such)
Blue 2 (all Rob Papen synths?)
u-he synths (all)
Rhino
Reaktor (limited support depending on ensemble - doesn't support scala or tun)
FM8 (limited support)
Omnisphere
Synthmaster
Linplug synths (all?)
String Studio 2
z3ta+ 2
EMM Knagalis
HG Synths (some?)
Serum

ZynAddSubFX
Metasynth

Virsyn synths supposedly have it but I've never been able to work out how!

Synths I would like to have microtonal support:

Iris
Chromaphone
Halion
Cycle
Circle
Massive
PPG WaveGenerator
Largo
PPGWave
Reaktor really needs proper microtonal support (in fact Absynth and FM8 only have limited support)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Omnisphere. No import but a lot of alternative scales "embedded' into the sample engine.

Synthmaster
SynthMaster supports Scala tuning, so tuning can be set either for each preset or globally by loading from a Scala tuning file.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

FM8 has microtuning.

Linplug Alpha 3

manducator wrote:Linplug Alpha 3
Ah now that you mention it I forgot Spectral does too, so does Octopus, so I assume most or all Linplug synths do?

All added to the list

gremlinmoon wrote:Omnisphere. No import but a lot of alternative scales "embedded' into the sample engine.
I checked and you can add extra scales if you go into the Steam folder settings library/presets/tuning files and add them (tun format)

The original z3ta+ supports microtonal tunings as well. I believe for a moment it was almost the other way around, the new z3ta+ 2 not supporting Scala tuning files like the old one already did.

subterfuge wrote:The original z3ta+ supports microtonal tunings as well. I believe for a moment it was almost the other way around, the new z3ta+ 2 not supporting Scala tuning files like the old one already did.
z3ta2 does support them now but I think there was some controversy about Cakewalk removing it when it first came out.

Vienna Instruments Pro sees any 12-note scala and give you 12 notes for the base of a tuning (so no need for .tun) in the interface.
Exceeding 12 per octave doesn't work but you can fake <12 by duplication of tones.

a .scl file is a text file formatted properly with that extension, at least it works for this purpose. I imagine that's true per se.

Korg's soft synths do to a limited extent (you can adjust the pitch +/-100 cents I think)
Tassman also has limited microtuning capabilities (there is a module you can download or you can make one yourself)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

ZynAddSubFX :wink:
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Iu Gob wrote:ZynAddSubFX :wink:
This synth gets better all the time. Maybe if it cost $75+ then it would get more attention.

Cuauhtli wrote:Korg's soft synths do to a limited extent (you can adjust the pitch +/-100 cents I think)
Tassman also has limited microtuning capabilities (there is a module you can download or you can make one yourself)
I didn't include Korg synths as it is very limited, many synths you can make fine adjustments to tunings but if it is not possible to import scales or save changes as scales it's of limited use.

Return to “Instruments”